Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

"The so-called 'bus gate'" Indeed, there has never been a bus-gate in any meaningful sense on College Green afaik. It is regularly full of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Paul2019

I remember the congestion and pollution from the 1960s.

These same problems have festered for 60 years and here we are in 2024 with democracy being overturned by Mr Shakespeare and Fine Gael in favour of bowing to the grubby interests of some car park owners.

Capital City my arse - it's a Capital Kip.

I remember the early 2000s being desperate, buses took hours to get anywhere and you could hardly cross the street at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dublin as bad as it is now was much worse in terms of all the lorries and cars going through the city, and the old Diesel belching ships that used to come up the quays as far as Matt Talbot bridge, not to mention the trains.. If it wasn't for the Luas, Dart, Dublin port tunnel things would be much worse.. Now we have a chance to clean up more of the city centre if only the big companies would stop obstructing it all. I'm sure they could sell off the car parks as apartments.

Another gem from the past, seems we're still having the same discussion about introducing more Bus corridors 25 years on:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0719/1064088-growing-traffic-problem/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very insightful comments. Was obvious to people back then what the issues (and solutions) are.

Interesting that the get up earlier doesn't really work anymore. Though obviously staggered working times helps.

People knew the issues and solutions back 25 years ago, remote working, shared office spaces in more rural areas for workers. And now the nature of work and shopping is almost completely different for many workers, no more need for all workers to be in the offices at all times, and no need to travel to the city centre to go shopping for a new fridge…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Why are they more important than the rest of us?

You need to check yourself and be grateful that you do not have to live with a disability that robs your of your mobility and limits you physically, and I genuinely hope you never have to find out what that's like. It would come as a terrible shock to you.

I have to say I find the attitudes and the vitriol towards the disabled groups on this thread disgusting. Ableism at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The only thing that annoyed me about the above post is "ableism" awful manufactured term that is in vogue from the yanks IMO. The correct term should be "acting the bollix", that to me is not a creation of "other". As everyone knows what "acting the bollix" means.

Already you have road works, lack of disabled accessible pubs restaurants, disabled toilets being used as a storerooms etc Non disabled people parking in disabled bays, even blue badge abuse etc. All making life more of a hassle, for the disabled driver. Hopefully these changes might lead to more freedom for the disabled driver at last. As these bus gates might encourage more people to get the bus.

As there are plenty of people on the road who do NOT NEED to drive but are just inherently lazy, let's be honest. A disabled driver NEEDS to drive by necessity which is the while purpose of the scheme. It is freedom, it is independence for many.

I doubt things will change though, Ireland as nation a nation has a large amount of mé féiner's and begrudgers. The likes of @Thelonious Monk optimise this attitude. It is "acting the bollix" when all is said and done.

If I was in charge of of traffic and transport I would go much further, disabled drivers should be allowed to use bus lanes as well, as the technology should be there to read number plates if the person is registered for the blue badge and has it up to date. Give the mé feiners something else to moan about, while at same time do something of use.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Where are you getting that from re: Grafton Street.

• Advertisement

I think there's a middle ground.

Obviously people are concerned this is three steps forward and two back.

But legimate concerns were raised. If theres a issue of blue badge access. Not sure why we need to reinvent the wheel. What are current blue badge rules around pedestrian areas and bus lanes. Why is bus gate different.

As long as there is a disabled bay - a disabled driver or passenger (blue badge holder) can park in it for as long as they like. The blue badge holder can also park in any parking bay disabled or not.

But the curtesy is not to park in a disabled bay if possible as some disabled drivers require the larger space as wheelchair users. Whereas the disabled driver who is ambulatory without a wheelchair needs less space. Also the curtesy is not to park in the bays for a prolonged period (if possible) even if you are entitled to.

Disabled drivers (blue badge holders) are currently not entitled to drive down bus lanes as per the rules for all other drivers.

Anyone that has a blue badge has to renew it every two years, if it expires it is technically no longer valid for use.

I assume the problem with the bus gate is that there is a fair bit of disabled parking bays along the quays etc, which would become inaccessible for blue badge holders, because of the bus gates.

When these "bus gates" come in I hope that the signage is clear and not a money making cod. Like those in the example here in England.

The implication is that the Council in question in the above case do not want to fix the signage because they are making too much money on fines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was in an article referenced (I think) here a month or two ago. I'm on my phone but I'll try and find it later. I don't think they were entirely serious, or at least I hope not, but it was part of their completely unworkable idea that every single building should have direct car access for blue badge holders or it is discriminatory.

... "fair bit" of parking on the quays.

Exactly how many spaces are we talking, and accessable to where. Are there no other alternative spaces that give similar accessable access near by?

I'm not sure why people are set against change..

It is not really a question of being unwilling to change. The disabled bays by their very nature are a method of providing accessibility, and ease of accessibility to areas of the city. A disabled bay just 2km away from where a person wants to go might be too far for an individual in question, for example. Rendering it pointless.

Below is a map of the DCC parking spaces in Dublin -

https://data.smartdublin.ie/dataset/accessible-parking-spaces-dcc/resource/efb5d349-8640-42f5-8496-d29cc718ed6d?inner_span=True

Around the area at issue there is particular high demand, and in general there have been many former disabled parking bays that have been lost to the bicycle scheme that would have been there in the past.

Obviously disabled parking has to be near be central amenities, shopping etc, for those working and for ease of access in the city centre. Think of it like a "Shannon stop over" a point from where person can "disembark" for easy access to an area.

The problem is a lot of disabled parking is unevenly spread throughout the city. There are some parts such as near Dublin City Council/Fishamble street where there are a lot of disabled parking bays, and others where there might be a single bay (Abbey Street Lower) or others that you have to know is there as it is hidden away down some more obscure side street.

Then you have practical issues such as is the bay on flat ground, is it on a hill etc? For those who use Wheelchairs.

As I said in my previous post if a blue badge holder is able to they can park anywhere with the blue badge whether it is a disabled bay or not. However, invariably it is likely that the disabled bays are only available, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭Daith

There's an interesting map. There's one disabled parking bay on Bachelor's Walk?

Should that mean we can never restrict that section of Bachelor's Walk and have to allow access? That's what the change is suggesting.

There are other bays nearby but it would mean a slightly longer route.

Did you look at that map? I did which is why I asked the question. There almost no blue badge parking on that route. A handful, very much not a "fair bit" and certainly the nearest alternatives are not 2km away.

I also ask because in my entire life I don't think I've parked on the quays more than a handful times. Any of the places I would have parked for are long gone or have an alternative around the corner.

Hills on the quays? Seriously.

Question I have does someone with a wheelchair badge in a car get priority over someone with a wheelchair badge who took the bus.

• Advertisement

I counted a total of 1 disabled parking spots on Bachelors walk, and this was the only parking spot on bachelors walk. Solution: sacrafice the bike parking beside the Morisson Hotel, convert it to a disabled parking bay. then implement the scheme fully and put in new bike parking, in much greater amounts on Bachelors walk, so everyone is happy.

It's starting to look like a sit in protest blocking the left turn on onto OCS is the only solution, since Shakespear is determined to do a solo run on this, it'll have to be met with people power. Sad that this has to be done.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1787 jobs to be lost and a reduction in spending of €141m alleged by car park body trading body Dublin City Centre Traders Alliance.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-car-ban-will-slash-retail-spending-in-the-city-and-lead-to-loss-of-1787-jobs-claims-report/a2062422110.html

Dublin Commuter Coalition, call it out for the nonsense that it is…

https://irishcycle.com/2024/07/11/cold-water-poured-on-report-paid-for-by-traders-alliance-estimating-impact-from-dublin-traffic-plan/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The economic report was written by PMCA Economic Consulting’s managing director, Pat McCloughan. He previously authored a report that predicted that a traffic and public realm plan for Lucan Village, which would result in a reduction of just ten (10) car parking spaces and no major traffic movement changes, would lead to a loss of 53% of the 600 jobs in the area.

I remember that 🤣

ah yes the reason why Lucan village is still a hellhole surrounded by housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

This is probably the best report they could have produced - something unfounded in facts. Hopefully Mr. Shakespeare disregards the report but I won't hold my breathe.

Based on the noises he has made, it appears he's a cronie, the quality of the report is irrelevant. We'll need Dublin cycling campaign / commuter coalition to go into the trenches over this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Coincidentally the constituency for Ms Higgins TD, who as it happens was opposed to the changes in Lucan

• Advertisement

If they want to live in unwalkable sh1tholes with no centre, I'm cool with it. The centre of Tallaght needs that SDCC money anyway.

Advertisement