Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Best of luck with the car!

1. 22KW chargers is for 3 phase power, the vast vast majority of houses only have single phase. So 7KW is probably all you can get

2. Tethered is generally considered a lot more convenient, You just hop out of the car, grab the cable and plug it in. Untethered would involve un-furling the cable out of the boot and then plugging it in, and the reverse when finished. Definitely a pain in the arse when raining! I have a tethered charger at home and there are unthetered ones at work, the tethered is a lot less hassle.

But Untethered has some advantages. It removes the cable from the equation when not in use. so it might be useful if your tight for space or the cable would otherwise be in the way. Also aesthetically Untethered is nicer, like that post one in the pic @Gumbo shared a few posts up looks fantastic, definitely wouldn't look as nice with 3Meters of cable hanging off it.

There is also an potential advantage of being able to use older type cars with it like the old style Nissan leaf as they use a Type 1 charging cable (Basically all other cars use Type 2), unless you plan to buy one of these cars its probably an advantage that will never be realised

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure 7kW will be fine anyway, I have no specific need for much faster charging at home, just wanted to see the reasoning behind it.

@josip no, won't need permission, we own the actual parking spaces, just for our row of houses there is a path in between them and the door (and some other rows of houses there aren't). A few other neighbours have pillars installed in recent years.

Untethered seems to be what others have got here too when they have the pillars, so probably best to fit in what that, although everyone has a different brand installed of the ones that have them, so no uniform look here.

Wasn't quite a spur of the moment purchase, although I did jump quicker than intended due to a couple of factors, so will probably have to do without a home charger for a little while. I'm sure I'll cope.

Another quick one, prompted by a conversation with one install company.

My house as said, has no drive way, but has owner owned parking spaces across a footpath, starting approx 3m from the house itself. Neighbours have pillar chargers installed, and I will ask them specifically, but I want to see if anyone knows here too. It's an estate of houses (mostly semi detached, as ours is) with no through traffic, built 6-8 years ago.

One company said they will need permission from the council or management company (there isn't a management company, common areas passed to the council a few years back I think) before they could dig the footpath, and while they might be technically correct, is this generally the case, or is it something that no one would really care about in this instance, or we wouldn't actually need?

If it is just something this company asks for but others don't, I'll likely go for one of the others just, and as said I'll talk to neighbours later to ask. Some here presumably have had similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Best to ask the neighbours, because they went through the process already. They will have contacts of who installed theirs too. I wouldn’t look for permission if they didn’t have to. Forgiveness and all that.

Stay Free

That's the plan for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ScuderiaNick

Hi all, ordered my first EV last week, the new Ford Explorer and just wondering if anybody could guide me on a couple of things.

I will be looking to install a charger at my house. I'm based in Meath, does anybody in my locality recommend someone / some business to go with?

Is it easier to go with a business that does an all-in-one bundle, ie supply and fit the charger or is it better to go with purchasing one online and getting an electrician to install one?

It's all very new to me and I want to make sure I do the best thing.

Is there a particular charger people recommend? I don't have solar PV so I dont think I need a zappi, for example. And I don't have an electric shower either. All advice welcome. Thank you

I had a couple of thoughts around chargers recently.

Do any of the home ones have knowledge of the car battery's SoC? DC Chargers seem to, and I assume that is being communicated back through the Type 2 portion of the port, so I would have thought home chargers could in theory, but Zappi dont, and either does the one in work.

Do any of the chargers support charging by power delivered rather than time? The zappi scheduled charging is pretty basic, I seem to be able to set it to charge for X number of hours at a certain time and selected days of the week. So for the EV rate we set it to come on at 2am every day for 3 hours. It seems very limited to me but it works most of the time. But last night I needed to charge for 4 hours, so I had to change the schedule for every day to 4 hours, and need to change it back this morning.

But I was thinking that time might not always be the most reliable way of doing it, especially as the charger will back off if the load in the house is too big (not sure we've had this yet, but its possible). So if someone schedules too many devices to come on at the EV rate , the 3 hours might not be enough anymore. Ideally having a SoC target would be nice, but if it didn't have access to that, a power delivered would be a more reliable stat than time.

Basically tell the charger to charge at 2AM til 5AM or extend til at least 21Kw has been delivered (even better if it was at least 70% soc, but maybe not possible). It feel like the charger should have access to everything needed to do something like this.

Do any of the other chargers have more comprehensive options? Or do most people use their car to schedule the charging?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Home charge points (no chargers, the AC charger is in the EV itself) don't need to know SOC as the car manages that end of the deal.

The Zappi can deliver XkWh as an option, I don't have my EV plugged in right now so can's get access to show a screenprint but it's an option on the App for sure

And/Or and you are into home automation I would say as that requirement is rarely required for the vast majority of charge points so just not an off the shelf option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zd65

Hi, looking to install an EV charger. Aiming for one where I can fully disconnect the cable.
    Any recommendations for one where the warranty is the longest one?
    Am I getting this right or the 300 euro grant is available too?

~Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€300 grant yes.
    zappi.
    EO Mini.
    OHME

Garo.
    loads available. Get a few quotes to compare the market.

• Advertisement

I see the setting for the power there now, unless im missing something it can be used with a schedule. You can set it to "fast" and it will stop when it hits x Kwh, but it doesn't allow you to start charging at any particular time.

I have home assitant and im after setting up the myenergi integration and can see the zappi, so i might tinker around with what I can do with it. I've set up one feature to message me if someone plugs in the car and the zappi is set to "stop" (ie, will not charge), because that has happened twice since we got it, and fortunately hasn't been a big deal, but that could really ruin your day if you did wrong!

In theory you could setup a bluelink integration and read the battery level from there and have the best of both worlds, but im afraid of the additional load of HA pinging the car impacting the 12v!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Hoping someone sees this who might have suggestions

Last year, Brother(electrician) installed a wallbox max charger I got off Amazon(new), he supplied 32amp RCBO(cabling supplied in new build rated 32amp). Car set to preferred night rate. After approx one month the RCBO starts tripping randomly once every 2-4 charges, no rhyme or reason, could be 5mins or 3 hours.

To make matters worse it sometimes appears as if it's tripping when the car hasn't been plugged in at all. Though I'm unsure if the previous charge has completed and I simply haven't checked the board in those instances where it may have tripped at the very end of the cycle.

Brother hasn't a notion, thinks casing on the live wire might be damaged in the wallbox so I'm considering buying a new RCBO and installing, if that doesn't work, considering buying another wallbox to confirm dodgy unit which isn't ideal. Not sure I'll get my money back for the original now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Is there any RCBO rating specified in the manual? Normally it's a 40A rated RCBO on a 32A charger. Is it a Garo RCBO by any chance? If it's a 'normal' Garo RCBO, they don't handle chargers very well and the Garo 'EVS' model RCBO should be used, or another make.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes Ohme will get the SOC from an API ( not all branded supported) so you could set you charger to 80% and it’ll charge it to 80% or whatever you want.

With OHme you can tell set the prices and it’ll charge at its cheapest rate. What uou do is set the time you want the car to be ready it and it’ll adjust the charge rate , it’ll start off at 4kwh and then Ramp up to 7Kh towards the end

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

Bought a Tesla Model Y 2 weeks ago

looking at getting a charger

2-6 am charging , so nobody will be using a shower etc

just want a basic charger that will activate at 2 and stop at 6 based on the cars schedule

@Gumbo kindly gave me a good price for a Tesla charger , but just seeing if anything else around €400 mark

There’s a second hand EO mini on Facebook for €150. Would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

@RonTon posted what I think is probably the cheapest SEAI grant compliant new charger I've seen available to the public back in post #8337 for around €400.

https://solarwholesaler.ie/collections/ev-charger/products/bpe-amstel-ev-charger-7-4kw-t2-socket-std-with-dlb

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

How bad of an experience must they had with an Ev to not only move away after a year but to scorch the earth of ever returning by not only selling their charger, but the isolation switch!?

I know 😆

Someone actually said that to them. For the sake of €150, leave it installed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That stuff looks brand new not a days weather on it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

@buffman The manual seems to say 32amp, But I had one installer of the same unit say they would recommend a 40amp...

It's a Garo alright, my brother doesn't install these in the normal run of things so I've asked a neighbour who has a zappi, he's using a 40amp. Thanks for the feedback, will double check the manual and will try an EVS Garo before going nuclear 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wolftown

Anyone using a BG charger?

Due to have one installed tomorrow so am interested to hear if there are any issues with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was nearly buying it to have there “just incase”.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Yip. I got one. Seems okay so far. I'm just using it to charge between 2 and 4am. Which is does. Beyond that, not sure what it can do. It claims to have solar integration but when I click the firmware update nothing seems to happen in the app. So no idea if it works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wolftown

That's positive enough for me. I just want a charger that will do the job of a glorified outdoor socket 👍

I had the €600 grant. And the install, as you probably know, was €1,100 with tether so for €500 it is grand as a 7.4kw outdoor socket with a timer. It also has, in terms of being tethered, a 7.5m cable which I needed as well. So doing the job fine.

Just get a 32a commando socket and a commando adapter for the granny cable that came with your Y

But your limited to what, 2.2kw max an hour? Was worth it here to get an actual charger as it means I can limit charging to the very cheap EV window and the charger will pay for itself in less than 12 months.

• Advertisement

The Tesla "granny cable" is actually 32a rated, so will take 7kW no problem, this is what a lot of folk in the US use and I use it myself for charging at a 32a commando socket in work.

Advertisement