Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't think it's the first time such things have been said though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kinda fucked tho, because the other half of the coin is the poor standard of coaching at the other provinces for years. Who would've wanted to play under McFarland or Van Grann?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Irfu have never looked kindly on players who refused to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The evidence still isn't there to convince me that it will improve their international prospects. And clearly Leinster players feel the same.

I guess from an IRFU pov they'd probably argue that the sample size is too small because players so rarely move. If more players move then more players would improve their chances.

We have discussed it ad nauseam over the last while but the high profile Leinster players who've moved directly to another province have hardly had glittering careers since.

Jeremy Loughman is probably the best example of current players. And even then he has 5 Ireland caps with 1 start (against Fiji) and has most recently been dropped in favour of a player who has never professionally played Loosehead. But to give him credit where it's due. He's won a URC and started in the final.

Other senior capped Leinster players who moved would be Aungier with no international caps and no camp involvement

Salanoa has been given opportunities whenever fit. But this is his biggest crutch.

Jordi Murphy and Jack McGrath were both capped internationally when they moved to Ulster. But I would hardly say it reignited their careers - indeed both had been involved in both finals of Leinster double before they moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sam prendergast didn't move to Connacht and is over in South Africa. Same could be said about Sheehan and Kelleher.

Personally I'd prefer to see more movement.. Harry, Deegan, Fralwey really could have moved over last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Same could be said about Sheehan and Kelleher.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The one thing I find funny when people talk about player moving is the idea Leinster would facilitate it.

Leo Cullen isn't going to encourage anyone to leave. Coaches always want options. Leo wants what's best for Leinster and that (to his mind) is having harry available to him.

It's on players to have the ambition to be more than third choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Leinster might encourage it with the medium term future in mind. Can't expect a coach on a one-year contract to encourage it though.

If I was leinster then I'd want him to play a lot of good quality minutes next year, either with connacht or leinster. Ideally with leinster, which they appear to have agreed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm not sure why Leinster would facilitate it if recruitment from within Ireland and recruitment from outside Ireland are both closed as options.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, you don't need me to say the obvious advantage to the lender is the player gets first team experience against the URC and European opposition. That's the advantage over sitting as 3rd or 4th choice and getting 2nd or 3rd team starts against dragons and Lions.

As a loan, it can be advantageous to the club as they get back a player with a year or 2 of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Champions Cup fixtures are out. First up is Bristol away, then Clermont at home for the big Christmas fixture.

Then La Rochelle away again in January, followed by Bath at home.

La Rochelle away? What..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

ERPC aren't clear around how the fixtures are decided, some rumours were that the top seed gets to pick home / away games, but I don't think we would have picked La Rochelle away, my guess it was random.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Probably going against the grain but I think Harry was mismanaged last season. He was in great form coming into the European knockouts and was dropped for an out of form Ross Byrne, then brought back in weeks later to play with the second string. Doesn't excuse bad performances but I really don't understand why he didn't start against Leicester after his performance against the Bulls

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2 sunday afternoon games… uuurrrghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is an IRFU problem not a player problem. The IRFU is the only entity that can create an environment that encourages intra-province moves which it has simply not achieved. When you don't let provinces meaningfully compete on money terms*, then you have very few strings to your bow. The Irish team has also consistently shown that it will select non-starters so another major push/pull factor is gone. If IRFU seriously want to encourage more movement then it needs to give players a reason to do so. Alternatively, the IRFU needs to discourage teams from holding on to players.

** - I'm not trying to get into a discussion on the merit of this policy but this is clearly one of the outcomes of such a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Harry? Harry is 1/2nd in Leinster. Not 3/4th. IMO anyway, I do think this is his season and he needs to get ahead of his brother and for Leinster a 1/2 long term of Harry/Predergast would be better

He played more games at 10 last season than Ross.

That is aimed at Deegan who didn't move to Ulster when it was well reported they wanted him to, plus he was captain of the EI tour the last time.

To me the below is a dig at Deegan, Harry was playing for Ireland as recent as the 6 nations win

"If you're happy to sit third, maybe fourth choice when you could be playing somewhere else and potentially developing your career that's not the sort of player that will be travelling to places like this [South Africa] on tour."

I agree, Harry was playing well, done well all season, done what was asked of him, played well away in La Rochelle and then was dumped out quickly

Personally I hate the 6-2 bench, I know it's a Bok thing but I don't like it for Leinster. In reality that bench is hurting Harry because he isn't given a chance on bench because Frawley is picked as he can cover more positions.

I do hope, Im a huge Harry fan as people might have guessed, he kicks on again next year. To me I think he did this year make huge progress. No big injuries, played games in Europe, won a 6 nations with ireland. Not sure if that can be put down as a bad year for him? Maybe I am wrong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This 'bok thing' has been around in French rugby for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is no universe where HB is 1/2 at Leinster. He was left out of the 23 for the epcr final and wasn't in the squad for any of the URC knockouts.

You could maybe make an argument he's second choice direct 10 but I don't think he is anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Honest to god if Leo goes into next season with Ross as the untouchable first choice 10 again he needs his head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I've been a pretty strong defender of Leo and the near misses on silverware but some of his selection calls have been really shown up by Farrell.

Luke McGrath over Gibson park for years

Using frawley and Jimmy at 15 and never considering Osborne (who was super today)

Selecting Maloney over Joe McCarthy in past seasons

Persisting with the Byrnes at 10

I don't expect Leo to be as good a coach as Farrell, he's in the top job for a reason but you think the coach working with the players regularly would spot talent quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think there's been any issue with McCarthy. He was injured from Jan until April/May last season, he'd barely played by the time it came to the Euro final. He's been obviously first choice this season. He's only just gone 23, like he's had 2 seasons of pro rugby basically.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Osbourne has played 15. He just happens to be both very good and versatile. You wouldn't lambast the NZ coach for playing Jordie Barrett at 15 for years.

JGP had improved immeasurably in the last few years. McGrath has been on a downward spiral. There was little to choose between them for a while and they shared game time.

McCarthy's a TH lock and has been injured a lot and a very green player. Moloney hasn't been being selected ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Mcgrath has also managed to start a Heineken Cup final where leinster won. JgP hasn't managed that.

Luke was playing better than JGP right up to covid, after that it swapped. The agenda that Ireland picked JGP before Leinster did is questionable because it was over covid. The first few squads of Farrell it was Murray and Cooney. I remember JGP became Ireland qualified just before the 2019 WC and I mentioned, people laughed and said he would never become an Ireland player.

Frawley was tested years ago at 10, circa 2019 and it didn't work out well. Leinster decided to switch him to 12 and that was a success and Frawley went on the NZ tour as a 12. Due to injury he played 10 as Farrell done his "all in this, adversity" and it worked. They moved him to 15 mainly because they had a gap in that slot at 15 with Keenan. Osbourne was playing well at 12 so not sure why they didn't try him, I guess it was based on requirements at the time with Ngatai out injured etc

Joe was injured, last season he was due to breakout but spent most of it injured, if you remember they gave him a start in the Bulls semi, the year after the injury problems made it impossible for Leinster to pick him, he got fit at end of season but Maloney was MOM v Toulouse wasn't he? it was losing Ryan was the problem in final

Both Harry and Ross have played well, if Frawley able to run a team from start to finish in a game as the 10? the games I seen when he start he hasn't really blown me over. As I said they tested him years ago as well.

Leo works with the players, so did Lancaster and Contepomi. Lancaster an international coach and Conetpomi is now. They also have Nienaber as well coaching now with Goodman who is going into Ireland. All of these coachs are working with Leo.

farrell is a good coach, no doubts about that but I think you are picking situations, some outside the control of Leinster which resulted in changes. I have no idea on Osbourne but his performances at centre this year for Leinster have been great so not sure why they would have switched him. It was last minute the loss of Keenen to 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Seeing an Ireland team stacked with Leinster players beat the World Cup holders away from home would make you excited to see what Leinster can do next season until you remember they've had all these players for the past few seasons and keep falling over when it matters.

Apart from it's not all the same players.

Also don't know how you can't be excited by squad and potential of next season. Stop being spoilt it could be far worse as you could be a fan of another province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cullen has decisions to make for next season. Osborne is playing too well to not start somewhere. He's now excelled at 12 and 15.

Advertisement