Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I just think that we need to be conscious that our potential spending and Newcastle's are not remotely the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

It's a good sign that things must be sorted PSR wise, that we're rejecting bids for Ramsey saying he's part of Emery's plans. For ages he was being touted as the one to be shipped out for his 'profit' margin.

Sorry to see Dougie go, but if as reported, he was looking to leave, we've made money and got 2 squad players in - a good thing considering how thread bare the squad got at end of season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

And as much as we get attached to these players it’s the nature of the game and we move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

The PSR is actually sorted on the Luiz deal on its own is the word. Tim and Kellyman were both done to extend what we could spend this window and keeping the books extra Rosie for next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

agreed. I don’t think anyone wants removal of PSR type rules in totality.

Obviously it’s very complex trying to set up a level playing field for all whereby investment (Gotta spend money to make money) is allowed but within limitations as without them it wouldn’t be at all level when clubs like Newcastle & City are involved.

it’s also why creative selling within the current structure and in particular the signing and work of the likes of Monchi can make a massive difference at this moment where investment can continue to bridge the gap especially if Chelsea/Man Utd continue to be inconsistent.

Glad Villa aren’t selling Ramsey (even if I like Lo Celso and think he’s been wasted at Spurs), hopefully post injury he can get back to his best and have a big impact next season. He essentially wasn’t at 100% for the full season despite how much we achieved.

Looks like Bogarde to Forest for 4m might be happening too which might be for the best if he’s never going to get a look in.

Reportedly a bid of around 13m was turned down for Fiorentina right-back Michael Kayode plus we keep being linked with Rabiot on a free transfer. I don’t expect the latter to happen (especially with him also being linked to Man Utd etc) but it’d put a slightly different reflection on the Luiz deal if we also took him from Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ian Maatsen in from Chelsea.

Kinda feels like back in the day where there would be rumors that the club would announce signings at the new kit launch or something similar.

Maatsen, Barkley and the two lads from Juve about to be made official.

Duran still up in the air but now being linked to more than just Villa - A.C Milan and supposidly Bologna are interested in him as a Zirkzee replacement.

Coutinho seems to be finally off the books too. Unfortunately nobody would give us money for him but at least we aren't paying those wages anymore. About to sign for Vasco Da Gama.

Lino Sousa, the 18 year old full back we brought in from Arsenal might be going to Watford on loan.

Also reading suggestions that we have put in a 5m euro bid on Mathis Lambourde (center forward from Rennes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Any news on Moreno and Digne floating? We are stacked at left back now.

Moreno has been loosely linked with a move back to Betis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Luiz confirmed to Juve.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Enzo Barrenechea and Iling-Junior confirmed in on the return leg of the flight.

Barkley confirmed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Watching the Euros and the Adidas kits look just as sweaty as Castore.

I think Summer Germany is somewhat different to October Birmingham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Don't know much about them...gueas we will need numbers this season with the demands of CL football. Barkley gives us a different kind of option, but I honestly could have done without him back in a villa shirt.

Mings, Ramsey, Kamara & Buendia back fully fit and add another goalie, right back, center mid and center forwad should do nicely

• Advertisement

Barkley plays a much deeper role than when he was first here. I think he'll be Luiz's replacement, remains to be seen if he can reach that standard at a Champions League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

read somewhere that Barkley has the same number of goals and assists as Luiz. It might be an astute bit of business but even if not it was only 5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Given the context of the Barkley signing (low cost, mainly to be a squad player/rotation, his previous season at luton, etc) I am very very confident that this will be considered a successful signing.

Nope. 1 season does not make. He wasn't good for us before.

I'll judge him on merit but up hill battle.

With regards the Barkely talk it is kinds all about expectations because if all are fit he is surely just a rotation option.

I mean in CM we have Kamara, Barrenechea, Tielemans, Ramsey, Barkely & McGinn to start with and you could probably also throw in Beundia in terms of the competing for the most attacking of 3 CM spots.

The way I'd see it

Starter (Backup/competition)

DM: Kamara (Barrenechea)
    CM: Tielemans (Barkely)
    ACM: McGinn (Beundia/Ramsey)

Beundia/ Ramsey could also offer competition or start on the wings too as we often don't play both of Bailey & Diaby and instead go for a more defensive CM style player there. However even without considering those as options for those positions you'd have

LW: Diaby (Rodgers)
    RW: Bailey (Iling Jr)

Plus I'd still say that Villa might be looking at Duran going to be first choice somewhere and us signing a replacement and would not be surprised if that replacement was someone who could rotate with Watkins but also fill in on the wings. A Maximilian Beier or Jonathan David type i'd guess going by previous links

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

We are still light in midfield especially DM. I don’t see Kamara coming back until Christmas and without a pre season he won’t be at his pre injury level. Without him, we’re putting a lot of pressure on Barrenechea and there’s no real backup there either unless Barkley is the other option. Neither look top 4 or champions league level though.

We might look to bring in someone of the required quality on loan if we can find one to cover because Kamara will be the starter once he’s fit again.

I think we’re also going to sign someone as a CM who can do some of what we’re missing with Luiz going out. It might be a younger high ceiling prospect who can cover when Tielemans and Barkley are unavailable.

Further forward we seem to be stocked with many more options. We can add Buendia, Ramsey, Illing Jr and Dobbin to the mix from what we had last season with only Zaniolo going out. I’m adding Ramsey because he never was really fit.

35m plus 10% sell on clause on the table from West Ham for Duran. Not their first bid apparently and Duran is happy to go (personal terms already agreed) because he wants to be starting games.

Jaden Philogene to Ipswich (others including Everton in for him too at around 18m) seems to be gaining momentum too with Villa having a few days to match the bid but supposidly they won't if he wants the move currently being proposed to him. We could get up to 20% (that is the top of what has been mentioned it'd probably be less) of the fee according to reports though.

Word is Coutinho to Vasco could also be announced today but it is unfortunately still only a loan.

If these deals happen you would think Villa would have to be looking to bring in an attacker.

30% of 18m is 5.4m

Obviously we could have never sold him so have lost out but (you can obviously question how much game time and development he’d have gotten in that case) that aside getting a player of his quality for 12.6m would usually be considered quite the coup and we would definitely have plenty of options going forward with the likes of him and Morgan backing up Bailey & Diaby.

Gotta wonder if he’d worry about his game time at Villa though- id expect him to be in Ipswich & Everton’s starting lineup far more often.

Coutinho confirmed "loan" to Vasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Buying Philogene would still be a 18m cash differential. Don’t buy him and receive 5.4m or do buy him and spend 12.6m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm surprised he was sold but I suspect it had to do with PSR. He looked great in the preseason last year and would have no issues with him returning.

His season away was worth more to his development than staying I’d like to see him back he’s another very good option

Well done Ollie, Southgate realising what we’ve known for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

If he started Ollie, he wouldn't have e needed the injury time goal

Calum Chambers medical booked so that he can join Cardiff. He had a year left on his contract so hopefully there is some small fee involved but also his reported 50k a week wages are being gotten off the books.

• Advertisement

Being repoerted that Villa have put in a bid for Beşiktaş wonderkid Semih Kılıçsoy. The 18yr old who scored 11 goals last season can play as a striker or on either flank. The report suggests Villa offered 18m euro and Moreno on loan but that it was rejected and says that Man City and Arsenal are also interested.

Meanwhile Bild have placed Villa in pole position to sign Maximilian Beier from Hoffenheim in a deal worth £25m this summer ahead of the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool who have shown some interest.

Both of these stories might pick up some pace if there is anything in them next week because Sky Sports are reporting that after looking at several options West Ham have settled on Duran as their main striker target and will make their move once his involvement in the Copa America final is done (he is expected to be on the bench again for Columbia vs Argentina).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Looks like Diaby is on his way to Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Beier is a brilliant player. I know he only got 25 minutes at the Euros, but for £25m that would be an absolute steal. I thought Bayern would have been sniffing around, but they've bought Olise and are after either Xavi Simons or Dani Olmo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The reports speak as if the deal is already done with Diaby with mentions of fees upwards of 70m but I haven’t seen anyone reputable reporting it. Wouldn’t be the worst deal if it was re-invested wisely given how we are all expecting better than his first season this year but I’d be very skeptical of the whole thing tbh.

much more interested in things like Beier hopefully being a real deal.

I heard 60m but it would be a shame as after a tough first season you would hope that next season he would be a much better player and show his quality similar to the improvement Bailey has shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I wonder if we’re looking at more physicality next season. Diaby and Luiz not the most physically imposing.

Jaden Philogene deal getting the here we Here we go treatment from Romanzo - 5 year deal, to be completed on Monday supposidly

Think Diaby has been a bit disappointing for what we paid for him. Direct competition for Bailey who is more than good enough in that position.

Cam Archer is back as well.

• Advertisement

things picking up speed now…

Happy with that

only just turning 23 next month, he already has 2 seasons premiership experience (plus experience in the French and German top flight iirc) and around 20 caps for Belgium. He can play with or instead of Kamara while he is injured and was heavily linked to the likes of Arsenal in the past. Probably couldn’t have done better in terms of a Luiz replacement to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Would be a great signing. Wonder if that means there’s more to Diaby interest than we thought. We’re well stacked with attacking mids. This would be a straight swap of an AM for a DM. Hopefully we can move Dendonker on to Everton at the same time.

I haven’t seen Dendonkerto anywhere recently but he has to be moved on really even if I like the lad and think he could be a bargain for someone potentially.

• Advertisement

The squad is starting to look stacked:

GK Emi Martinez ( Olsen / Gauci)

RB: Matty Cash (Konsa / Nedeljković)

CB: Pau Torres - Konsa (Mings - Carlos)

LB: Ian Maatsen (Digne / Moreno)

DM: Kamara (Barrenechea / Dendoncker)
    CM: Onana (Barkely)
    ACM: McGinn / Tielemans (Beundia/Ramsey)

LW: Diaby (Rodgers / Dobbin)
    RW: Bailey (Philogene / Iling Jr)

CF Watkins (Duran - Archer)

Beundia / Ramsey / whoever isn't starting in the 3rd CM spot out of McGinn / Tielemans can also cover one of the wing positions with the way Emery usually sets us up.

Onana could cover DM when Kamara isn't fit and McGinn / Tielemans have been used in a less attacking role (the CM one above) until now and could cover there again but it is great if Onana / Barkley can give them more licence to get forward.

Digne or Moreno, most likely the latter, will most likely be moved on as you would expect Duran and Archer might also be and Dendonker to also be looking for pastures new.

A striker (someone like Beier would be great) still needs to be brought in if this all happens and some would say a RB but the squad is definitely looking good atm.

Considering the squad finished 4th there’s Much more of a turnover of players than I expected. Can’t see Buendia or Mings, maybe Kamara getting back to anywhere near previous levels until Christmas

I’m off to Walsall on Wednesday £10 a ticket, tickets at Villa Park for top 6 teams and Wolves are about £75 now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Howdy folks our annual feedback thread is open as of today:

Viljami Sinisalo to Celtic for 1m

Meanwhile the Saudi Diaby story is gaining legs with  L’Equipe saying they’ve put in a €55m bid.

now I see Romano reporting it too

I’d hope they could get a bit more if they are to part ways with Diaby this soon after signing him but maybe this is in mind with Villa continuing to be linked with attackers ,30m move for Napoli’s Danish AM Jesper Lindstrøm being the latest,while also bringing back in Philogene and spending 50m on a Luiz replacement despite bringing in Barkley and the Argentinian lad from Juve.

I’d like us to keep him but given the money on offer and how he didn’t set the place alight I wouldn’t be too dismayed as long as yes they did re-invest it.

I thought Diaby was underwhelming more often than he was impressive. He might have kicked on with a second season, but I’m not heartbroken at all if we make a profit on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement