Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

what’s worse is when the tabloids link some stupid headline to met eireann but when you read what Met Eireann have said it’s nowhere near the stupid headline. And a lot of people just read headlines.

One other weird thing I’ve noticed is some crazy reference to planes spreading some sort of spray which makes it rain and cloudy??!? What sort of bat **** crazy stuff is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Contrails/Chemtrails….Don't go there, someone who posts here believes that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I'll put my one out too .

We'll turn it around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

Shows how bad things are in this country, as my last memory of a heatwave in Ireland is July 2013. if memory serves me right we had three weeks of temperatures regularly in the mid 20s which is pretty impressive by our meek standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stupid levels of cold this morning for July. 15c in Cobh and went down to 11c overnight with a northwesterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Dull, cool, dry, and fairly calm in Maynooth today. I hope to get my grass cut before it rains later. I thought I'd have the weekend to do it, but looking less likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also has heatwaves in 2018 and I think 2021.

I think we even had a technical heatwave in early September last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

THe unfortunate thing seems to be the pattern is stuck as it was in 2011 and some other years. Lows have nowhere else to go as they are mainly sliding over the High over the Atlantic bringing their rain to Britain and the rest of the bits and pieces of boring rain to us. As it is Summer the pattern of weather usually stays the same for a few weeks. Hence the whole Swithins Day thing.

e.g. In Summer you rarely get all different energy and activity in the Atlantic like Winter. A good storm might actually help waken up things as the whole thing seems sleepy yet miserable presently. Next week there is one possible so maybe a wet couple of days might bring something drier after at least briefly but I'm clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why does that show how bad things are in this country. We've had numerous heatwaves since… in June 2017, June/July 2018, July 2021, August 2022 and September 2023. All of these with the exception of June 2017 which was an oddity were exceptional or historic with record-breaking duration of heat for Ireland for that respective month.

June/July 2018 had 14 consecutive days of heatwave conditions in Kilkenny - equalling an all-time record from 1976.

July 2021 had 5 consecutive days of 30C in Offaly - only the second time on record that this has been achieved at a single station. Valentia also had 2 consecutive nights of not getting below 20C - it never had a single night previously of never getting below 20C and was the first "tropical night" as they are called in Ireland since 2001.

August 2022 was the first August 30C since 2003 and it had 3 consecutive days of it with all-time national record set.

September 2023 was only the third official September heatwave on record in Ireland and the first since 1991. Kildare equalled the September national record from 1906. Average temperatures for the month by the 9th were comparable to August 1995 - the warmest of any month on record in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Strength in numbers! Surely the heat cannot keep trapped much longer over in Eastern Europe and the Balkans…

I see there was a minimum nighttime temperature of 29c in Croatia this week. Much and all as this weather is annoying, wouldn’t fancy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

it’s cold today actually proper cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Screen caps of the daily observations at Dublin Apt on 17th July 2021 and 11th August 2022, some of the best summer days of recent memory. Absolute bliss

17th July had 21C here at 8am… we can't even achieve that at 3pm in July 2024.

No , but still, am wearing socks in bed .

St Swithin's Day on Monday . If we can keep it dry that day we might be ok 👍

We need a miracle !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Didn’t see the post sounds like they’re referring to Cloud seeding which does exactly that.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

May June and July are running drier than normal in Sligo .

Look at the temperatures 🌡 though.

The Summer of 2024 will just go down as a very cold one. Not one of the wet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dry in Galway but cloudy. Pleasant enough day. I'd say around 16/17C. Perfect for golf.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

wearing two layers of jumpers indoors today, it’s actually insane how cold it is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Same here in Kerry , 16.6C , light breeze and after a dull morning cloud breaking up giving sunshine, best out to sea in the West. Nice pottering around the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Random holiday palm tree to keep you all going!

32c in Crete atm. Have not seen a cloud for a week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I raise you all Dun Laoghaire, just after lunch.

Crete's just about got DL covered (In every aspect)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Have a look at Athenry. It is leading a charmed life in comparison to July 2023 in terms of rainfall.

Athenry got a whopping 224mm of rainfall in July 2023. Granted July 2023 was the wettest on record but that was incredible rainfall after the warmest June on record. In comparison Athenry has only recorded 11mm thus far and it is unlikely to get much more by halfway through the month.

Mace Head also shows similar - 6mm so far in July with 111mm last July in total.

I thought after the warmest May 2024 on record that we might get much more rainfall in July. Our weather is fascinating.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

UK Met Office says confidence is growing that temperatures will be ABOVE average for August. So that may indeed be our warmest month of the Summer. Maybe not completely dry though.

Better than this though. I'd say there's been 2 to 3 hours of sun in Sligo since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m quite confident of a decent second half of the month and a good August too, oul St Swithin will be kind to us this year after what he did last ‘summer’. The pattern in mid July is almost always a good indication for the second half of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Banarol

Some posters say you wouldn’t know the difference between January and July because it’s 15 degrees. I don’t agree with that. You would still know it’s Summer. It feels different to me and this evening I had to take off my top and walk in a t shirt. It had a close feel about it. That would never happen in January. We’ve only had 2 wet days out of the last 73 days in my area and Tuesday was one of them. It has been remarkably dry in many parts of the country.Yes temperatures have been below what they should be for the most part, but you could still get out and get things done most days.And there’s still the chance things might warm up right until the end of September. In fact the last warm day last year was on October 10th, we had 23 degrees even as late as that, so there is a lot of hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Nowhere nicer………out on the water at Valentia island this afternoon, mostly sunny! Further north in Kerry much cloudier

Advertisement