Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't have to make any special effort to align the bottles or cans a certain way. They all go through regardless of orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's the way it was set up in the legislation.

It possibly makes more sense to give the job to local councils rather than set up a separate Re-turn enforcement section.

Of course it only works if the councils actually do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Maybe you were born on Sunday. Or maybe you use different machine. Or maybe that machine is calibrated properly. I tried to deposit bottles in Lidl and 2 out of 3 were rejected 2-3x so I just packed them all and tried in Dunnes. Most of them went in on first try.

You need to realize that while you may never experience issues with your machines that does not mean that everything works perfectly for everyone else. Some posters here do have strange attitude, some sort of god complex when they think that anyone who complain about these machines must be stupid or something because they themselves never had any issue.

You can love this scheme as perhaps it gives you that fuzzy warm feeling that you are doing something to save the planet but for me and as it seems quite a lot of the people it is unnecessary exercise in stupidity mainly because most of the recyclables were recycled and recovered even before these green wonders came to existence. Even green bin waste was and still is being sorted out by refuse collecting companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Free movement of goods means Re-Turn cant enforce or fine anyone who sells imported stuff. It is up to them to work out something with importers they cant stop them importing goods. That is why we see mainly cans from Belgium or Poland.

Articles 26 and 28-37 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). The right to free movement of goods originating in Member States, and of goods from third countries which are in free circulation in the Member States, is one of the fundamental principles of the Treaty (Article 28 TFEU).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Why would you need to return mutipacks and large bottles used in the home. Can anybody tell me when there used there and put in green bin in the home. Smaller bottles and one off sales of cans i get maybe a need for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats a great point and would make things easier for people like me. The argument for the system is people throwing their empty bottle out of the car window. The majority of people who buy multi packs bring them home. Where they have a green bin. So by all means put the deposit on one off cans or bottles one might buy in a filling station, not the multi packs one buys in a shopping centre(or gets delivered from a shopping centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

I see a lot of local housing estates where kids have taken bottles or cans from multipacks and they have just been discarded on the road, especially during summer holidays. I saw it happening on our road all of the time.

No doubt that would be a lot more convenient.

But you would need to show how that system would deliver the target of 90% collection by 2030 which is the aim of DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This absolutely and utterly does not apply to this.

Local labelling and levies or taxation are not affected by this. You are charged Irish VAT on stuff bought from another EU country once the retailer reaches a certain sales level; products sold here need their ingredients listed in English and so on.

Importers cannot put product on sale until it is compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Watching people lugging up bag full of cans from home is mental in my opinion. There has to be a middle ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Or even better if you have access to a UK clubcard, it's currently £7 for 24x330ml of Diet Coke/Coke Zero and no DRS. Similar deals in other NI supermarkets also so worth adding soft drinks to the shopping lists if going up there.

100%, there was lots of discussion about price increases previously in the thread with some trying to say actual product prices hadn't gone up, maybe true with alcohol to a certain extent as MUP already had prices ridiculously high, but when it comes to soft drinks, they have increased since DRS, either through shrikflation as with the drop from 24 to 18 can packs or actual price increases.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If I wasn't so far south, I'd be buying everything up north just to bypass this scam. However, once they inevitably increase the scam charge it may be worth the trip. I'd rather waste it on diesel than take part. Bought 10x18 packs in Aldi. €100 and €27 scam deposit. I also emailed the CCPC complaining that every store selling the 18 packs are breaking the sugar tax law. Not that I expect them to do anything in benefit of the consumer. The expected outcome if any action is taken is probably a price increase for the full sugar versions.

I also find it fitting that Coca-Cola have no email or complaint procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

So you want to make things even more difficult for people who prefer the normal soft drinks? The sugar tax has nothing to do with the DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No, I want the crowd who are supposed to monitor retailers to ensure they're not screwing us over, which they blatantly are, to do their job. And yes, the scam and the sugar tax are different, I was using it to point out that not only are retailers overcharging us for the 18 packs, they're also breaking the law regarding the sugar tax. Just seems funny that around the time the deposit scam came in, the 24 packs disappeared, as the 18 pack was to ensure the full sugar ones were the same cost as the 24 diet ones. Now they're only a euro cheaper than the full sugar, and the 24 pack has been dropped to 18 for no reason other than greed.

Fitting though that you'd rather blame me than the scammers... this is why they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Last week got a delivery from local chippy and a can , no deposit taken ,no logo and UK origin.

Went into green bin.

Loads of cans and bottles need returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Received latest bill from our waste and recycling company. Gone up by €14 - 15% increase.

Thank you Ossian Smyth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, that's fake news.

It is just a coincidence that the waste company has lost out on their cut of the millions in revenue from selling on recyclables.

The same millions from selling the recyclables that Re-turn declare as one of their major sources of funding.

Just a coincidence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

I tried it this morning. Didn't work in an aldi or dunnes machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

But but but, we were told this scheme would cost us plebes nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Remember though. The bin men are raising prices for no reason. They are just robbing us. So we've been told on here at the start of July. Bin men = Bad men. Nothing to do with Ossian and the lads:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

But, but, but, we copied the system from other countries where it works.

Supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It works in Dunnes for me. I never tried Aldi. It also works in Tesco.

Which company and did they give any reason for the increase ?

It would seem strange if any of it is DRS related because the IWMA are currently negotiating with the department for compensation for loss of recyclables.

https://www.mrw.co.uk/news/irish-waste-industry-raises-drs-loss-fears-03-07-2024/

Unless of course they are looking to be paid twice.

Unless of course they can no longer sustain the losses and are being fobbed off by the Minister.

The reports I read said that they were in negotiations with the Department, and that prices would have to be raised unless a plan could be agreed with the Department to compensate for the losses. Losses reported at €700,000 a month since Return was introduced, and instead the recyclables used to fund their operations.

And that article won't load for me.

So should we be asking is it strange that you have appear to have a subscription to Waste Recycling Materials website??? Bit of a random choice for a news article to cite.

Sorry about that, it was the only link I could find that confirmed talks with the department as you have outlined.

You can be asking if you like but it's a thing of nothing 🙂

I don't have a subscription to the website.

I just saw your edit.

I suppose it's possible that discussions broke down and they are all going their own way but I think it's unlikely.

I think it would suit them better to stick together.

As I've posted here before it's my opinion that the consumer should not be on the hook for any compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw an article complaining about the bottle tops being awkward to take off, it is annoying , a step too far

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What do you expect them to do if the Minister is just fobbing them off?

And if the Minister is fobbing them off, it is he who has determined that the consumer will be on the hook for the compensation.

He can't pretend this lost revenue is some invention of the waste companies, when it is specified as one of the categories of funding for the Return scheme.

• Advertisement

They are tethered to the bottle to stop you taking them off.

That way they get recycled with the bottle instead of ending up as litter.

Advertisement