Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's the same as a house, not enough room when everyone's living there and when all the kids have moved on there's too much room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

Like a relation of mine, he found a younger model and start again. (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Not many being traded in KK mart yesterday, apparently a lot of lads locked up with TB so not as many replacements around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

very true. I hope you told him you were very much in need of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

That reminds me of situation I found myself in near 15 years ago. I had2 small kids, 1 and 3, mortgage etc. In my late 20s I decided to pay a few avcs into a work pension. Met the pension advisor and he asked all the usual, married, wife's job (also pensionable),mortgage, assets the whole 9 yards. He was about 60ish. He left down the pen and said,and I'll never forget his advice, for jaysus sakes young man, forget this nonsense and go home to your wife and kids and enjoy your young life. When your my age you'll have too much money and now you haven't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

THe above talk reminds me of a conversation with a local small farmer/ tradesman that was surrounded by avery wealthy developer, a huge tillage farmer and a 400 cow dairy farmer.

He told me Pat doesn't have enough money, Bob doesn't have enough money and even Mick (property developer) doesn't have enough money. But I have enough money.

All comes back to the saying "Happiness comes not from having more,but from being satisfied with less".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

there was an article about a farmer in tipp in one of the papers recently talking about Jp McManus. The farmer said one thing I have that he’ll never have and that’s enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Or the definition of consumerism I heard recently - "Using other people's money, to buy things you don't need, to impress people you don't even like."

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

+1, a great saying of my father's, 'good to know when you have enough'

• Advertisement

Buying yearlings out of a field.

What percentage of reduction on price should you allow for fresh weight vs mart weight?

Paying per kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Depending on Mart anything from 8- 15%. Probably generally 10ish%9(

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭green daries

..… wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There shouldn't be any reason why a Mart wouldn't allow you bring your own Calibration 20kg Weight, to check their scales before sale.

https://ie.lifting365.com/products/calibrated-hand-test-weight-20kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Because lads selling outdoor a yard that wants to weight cattle usually want the top mart prices. Now they are using an uncalibrated scales as well. My own scales was out 2% it weighted lighter but it could just be 2% higher.

Back to mart weight. Cattle lose around 10% travelling to and standing in the mart.

That means an animal going through the ring at 315 kgs woukd weight 350 fresh in the owners yard. In the mart at 2.5/ kg it makes 780- 790 euro. In his yard he is looking for 875 euro.

He has no transport or waiting around a mart ya maybe a few buyers call before he finds a victim. Generally I no longer buy out of yards. LSL solved that for us

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

being in/out calibration at 20kg would mean nothing as to the potential error at 200-600kg.

Ya most scales weight in 5kg increments. If it was out ( underweighting) by 2.4 % it would not show up. That is 14.5kgs on a 600 kg animal. Add that accross a bunch of 4-6.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'll give an example of weight drop from being in the yard. 4 years ago I had 3 reactors and the valuer was coming to value them. I ran them over the scales as they came in. He was 1 1/2 hrs later and I ran the same cattle over the same scales. And they had dropped by 15-20kg. The three cattle were standing in my own yard and had access to water for less than 2 hrs. All this weight drop was due to dung and pee being passed. Just imagine the weight drop when cattle would be sweating and standing around a mart yard for half the day and not having a pick or water for up to 8 hours from the field to the gavel dropping.

Fresh weight and mart weight are different. Mart weight will be lower for the above, but I can comment on scales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grass10

Your animals were exceptionally full when you first weighted them that was not an accurate weight cattle will only lose 15/20 kg in 1/2 hours in your yard if they were weighting a false heavy weight in the first place. Another person mentioned here that cattle lose 10% of their weight by travelling and standing around in a mart that is totally inaccurate information if that were correct a 700 kg animal would drop 70kg going to a mart which is not correct or a light 300 kg store would drop 30 kg which is wrong again

I weight cattle most weeks all year in my yard I check the accuracy of my scale by putting 25kg bags of meal on my scale to confirm its accuracy as their is no point fooling yourself you get used to sometimes cattle can just look exceptionally full so you subtract a bit of weight off to give an accurate weight but most times you don't need to do this. Aswell as sending cattle to factories I also have sold live in many different marts if cattle are in a local mart where they might be sold within 2/3 hours of leaving your yard they'll lose a total of 10/15 kg and that's for heavy cattle, light stores will only lose 5/10 kg, if your cattle go further and it could be 4/7 hours from the time they leave your yard until sold for heavy cattle they can lose 20 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Lost 15-20kg in 1.5 hrs. It just shocked me and it was the same on all 3. Just fresh off grass.

That's it 100%.

He weighs the truck, load them up and weigh it again and pay the Kg difference.

Stuff them with nuts weigh them near his yard, few extra quid for him.

An hour's travel in the truck what would the weight difference be by the time I'm unloading them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve seen animals selling only losing 5 kgs from leaving my yard to ones losing 40-50kg.. I’m only 4 miles from the mart and usually have them booked in so as late as possible dropping them off. It’s nothing scientific but what I’ve noticed is meal fed cattle tend to lose less as a percentage than the ones which wouldn’t have got any sort of meal.

Great price - €1880 for 480 Kg, Nov 2023. Ennis mart, A red type BB bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

Great price he must have been a smasher was he bought for breeding or feeding do u think

There was a pen of them. All good quality. I'd say then went for export. Hard to know. A mistake on his price below. It was 1880.

My mistake wrong pen. Today was a weanling show and sale in Ennis.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

Report up now on Ennis Mart facebook.

Facebook

Ennis Mart
    Tuesday 20th August 2024
    Our annual weanling show & sale was held today, with some super stock on offer. Shippers and farmers battled it out in the bull ring, as shippers bought 42% of these. Bulls were 30c/kg dearer than the same day last year and weights were up 8 kgs on average. Heifers were a similar weight and up 20c/kg on last years sale. The stock on offer were a credit to the farmers producing them. Small entry of sucklers stock met a fine trade and made to €1,490. In the organic section heifers were more a strong trade but bulls were mixed. Better quality heifers than bulls in this section.
    WEANLING BULLS:
    1 BBX 435kgs - €2,000 - €4.60/kg1 ..CHX 430Kgs - €1,660 - €3.86/kg
    1 BBX 480kgs - €2,000 - €4.17/kg1 ..BBX 390kgs - €1,600 - €4.10/kg
    1 BBX 440kgs - €1,770 - €4.02/kg2 ..CHX 342kgs - €1,460 - €4.26/kg
    1 LMX 525kgs - €1,900 - €3.62/kg1 ..LMX 330kgs - €1,460 - €4.42/kg
    1 BBX 500kgs - €1,900 - €3.80/kg3 ..CHX 265kgs - €1,110 - €4.19/kg
    4 LMX 294kgs - €1,130 - €3.84/kg1 ..CHX 365kgs - €1,370 - €3.75/kg
    WEANLING HEIFERS:
    1 CHX 285kgs - €1,100 - €3.86/kg1 ..CHX 320Kgs - €1,510 - €4.72/kg
    1 CHX 255kgs - €1,060 - €4.15/kg1 ..CHX 355Kgs - €1,490 - €4.20/kg
    1 BBX 375kgs - €1,400 - €3.73/kg1 ..LMX 400kgs - €1,550 - €3.87/kg
    1 LMX 330kgs - €1,350 - €4.09/kg1 ..CHX 305kgs - €1,250 - €4.10/kg