Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers, I ended up finding the thread I was thinking of in the Bargain Alerts forum.

When taking Dual Fuel into account, gas being our main source of heat in the winter, Bord Gais energy EV dual fuel seems to come up a bit better, their gas rate is cheaper than Energia's but their buy back rate not as good, and only credit twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the array size for the SEAI grant i.e. wpuld 24 x 435W panels or 10.44Kw system qualify for the €2,100.

12 panels on each PV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yup. Full €2100 grant for systems of 4kWp or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I'd also be interested in a response to this question please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seems to be in the ball park. I got a quote of 4.2kw for 4,500 not sure it includes a BER so the above looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 9,462 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I am sure its been asked but its a huge thread.

I got solar installed with a 5kw battery. Its set to self consumption mode now.

I have the option for TOU which would charge it from the grid at my cheap rate between 2 and 4pm , I assume this is a winter mode option when the solar is not doing much. When should I change it?

I have 2 options on the TOU page which I don't understand

Priority of excess PV energy: Feed to grid or charge

Allowed AC charge power KW: Does ESB Networks have a limit?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Picaresque

Hi!
    I have a quick question regarding inverter.
    I got a quote for 16 panels for a total of 7560 Watts but with a 5k inverter.
    Would that make sense?

I am thinking going to 8k watts system so I am questionnng the 5k inverter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

5kW* is the ESBN limit

*On an nc6 it's 25 amps, which is 5.5-5.75 kW, but inverter sizes is in whole figures.

You can get an nc7 which is a lot more involved and costs over 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Has there been any indication of the likelihood of rolling out the grants to all builds regardless of build date. Seems bizarre to punish people for buying new houses many of which do not come with Solar pre installed considering they supposedly want the country to 'go green'. What's the point when everyone else get's 2k off their price??

Secondly, do people pay tax on the FIT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

You are exempt up to €400 per person on the bill so just add any eligible person to the account to avail of more, some here have 4/5 people named on their accounts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Not in the short term,

The grant is being reduced by another 300 at the end of this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Would only be myself. Was considering a cheap system as I may sell in 5 years. Being taxed on FIT in my mind makes a battery a no brainer. Surmised that the marginal increase in value of the property might offset any savings not recouped on the system, not really possible now.

Honestly I'd be happy if they removed it altogether, at least then we'd all be on a level playing field.

Are installs any cheaper if you went down the route of avoiding feeding back to grid at all?

Edit: This may seem counter intuitive on a Solar thread, but has anyone simply foregone solar altogether and hooked up a battery to their house to charge it overnight on their EV rate?

Yep people have went battery only to load shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Is there any device there to measure how much solar can be generated in a particular location by leaving it there for maybe 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

You can get a pretty accurate estimate using the pvgis tool

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Is there a minimum and maximum amount of power that can be sent to an EV?

For example I'm looking into EVs and I noticed today our panels were generating 6.3kWh at one point and the house was using 0.5kWh and the battery was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Assuming single phase power, the EV will take from your domestic charge point about 7kW down to about 0.3kW I think depending on the EV. Depending on your inverter size and also assuming your charge point is seen by your system, the car will drink any excess power available up to the max of 7kW.

Most modern EVs will charge at 7kW. Some older ones charge at 3.6kW.

What you dont want is for the EV to be topped up by your house battery, because you suffer double the conversion losses.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Paddy Houlihan

Has anyone installed a Sigenergy battery system? I have just ordered a 8kw battery for my 7kw solar system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

Hi all,

Just started the search for a solar panel install.

First quote 14k for 20x 435 longi, 5kw solis hybrid and a 5kwh weco battery.

The 20 panels are split 12 south. and 4 east, 4 west.

Two questions;

1 - ANy issues with the Solis or weco? Could i do better in terms of tech?

2 - Optimisers. Installer is telling me that the south panels ,4 of them need optimsers due to a chimeny. Thats fine.

For the East/West, hes saying he can put them all on the same string and use optimisers on the one side. e.g. west has optimisers but east doesnt. Does this sound right?

Post edited by iknorr on

I was hoping to get some advise please. We're looking at having 4kWp solar panel system installed on south facing roof.

Currently have gas heating, petrol car and electric shower but would look to go to HP, EV and shower from hot water tank in the next few years if / when we can afford to do so.

I don't think we'd go for a battery or EDDI right now mainly to try and keep the outlay cost down. EDDI would mean we'd have to have extra work done to swap out the shower. And the battery would be expensive and I'm not sure where we'd put it - have limited space at the moment.

A few questions please:

→ Is it worth paying extra for a battery ready inverter now even if we don't get a battery for a few years? I'm waiting to hear back on how much extra the battery ready inverter will cost over the single string but I think it was in the region of €600-800.

→ Does changing the inverter mean a lot of work for an electrician, it is not just swapping out the units?

→ Surveyer didn't recommend installing the battery in the attic. Thinks regulations will prevent this in the future. Is this good advise? Edit: Seems like it is not a good idea and previously discussed here:

Anyone able to offer advice on whether it is worth paying extra for a hybrid inverter over a standard string inverter, if not installing a battery now?

I'm inclined to not buy the hybrid now and looking to make sure that isn't a big mistake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Right now, with current export FIT rates it is not financially worthwhile getting a hybrid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2dizzylizzie

On the hunt for a system and have gotten about 10 quotes so far. There's a wide variance of price between them all but it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison because of how they set out the quotes. But I'd also like to figure out if there's a valid reason in the significant difference down to quality and cost for various brand panels, inverters and batteries. In terms of inverters I've so far come across the Solis (vast majority seem to be using it) with Dryness or Weco batteries, Powerall, Livotek, Duracell Dura-i and Huawei inverter and battery systems. For the panels Huasun, Jinko, JA, Longi and Trina are the ones I've come across.

Has anyone seen some good price to quality comparisons or breakdowns anywhere or can offer their experience with these various brands. To a degree there seems to be a much of a muchness, but there has to be a degree of difference in manufacturing quality and customer service when it comes to warranties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

This is the big debate. While there are many who would agree with this opinion, be aware, that there are just as many (like myself) who would not.

Longer term, we'd like to build on a utility room, either in the house or shed. I was thinking to get the solar panels now and in future look at batteries. Do you still think getting an inverter now would make sense in this scenario? I think not in that we would have to have a lot of wiring work done anyway at that point.

Our electricity usage is below the national average at the moment with gas central heating and hot water heating but in future with potentially having a HP and EV, it would go up significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

On the verge of pulling the trigger on a system but cant find an answer to this. ( Solis or Goodwe)

If im generating 8kw from the panels, using zero in the house, is it normal that the invertor can export 5kw and charge the battery using the remaining 3kw.

OR is the 3kw included in the 5kw max limit, so ill only be exporting 2kw and charging the battery with 3kw for a total of 5kw at any one time.

I cannot comment on the goodwe as I have no experience with it.

But For the Solis, The first scenario is true, The 5kW is the limit of the AC output of the inverter. On the 5kW the PV limit is determined by the the MPPT limits in the inverter (will be 11amps per panel, and the voltage of the string would determine the power, Will be roughly 4kW per mppt)

Solis has a couple of different work modes, but the 2 we will concentrate on right now is Self use and Feed in Priority.
    In all modes, house use is covered first.

Self use - Battery will charge first up until its full or until the battery reaches its maximum charge rate or the inverters maximum charge rate, Rest will be exported.

Feed in Priority - Inverter will export first (up until its 5kW ac output limit) and any remainder will go to the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I've seen some videos on Youtube where people have a small Diy solar system and they connect it to their grid supply via a grid tie inverter. The videos were in the US and some in Europe. I'm wondering is this kind of set up allowed in Ireland?

Advertisement