Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

From my experience and a sample size of about 12 people with EVs, there's nobody moving back to ICE once they've taken the plunge.

Obviously your sample is different to mine but I'd imagine overall, the vast majority are staying EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭cc

Buddy of mine couldn't believe I drove over 3 and half hours on the motorway with a bit of a slow down near my destination in a M3 RWD, he's not anti-electric per se but just repeats th usual FUD you hear on Newstalk or the pub..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think the comment about what electricity plan he's on is a factor we often overlook. People on here are probably maximising the savings of the EV by changing to rates that suit us best etc, but there are probably loads of people who don't even change energy provider when their intro rate runs out, never mind finding the best one for their EV.

An EV is probably still marginally cheaper if your on a crappy 24hour energy plan but nothing like the €1-2k savings a year some of us are getting.

And then there is a bit of research required for what public charger best suits the journey. Not a big deal if you use ABRP, but if you don't know that ABRP exists, how do you find that out? Somewhere like here has been useful to find these things out too, we've used the apple green near the airport on someones recommendation from boards and it works out great, but without reading that we'd probably would have been chancing the ESB charger in circle K/Mcdonalds

I really like our EV, we'll never go back to two ICE cars, might even switch to a second EV, but I know for sure it wont suit some people. If I handed my Dad the keys to any EV in the morning, even install a charger for him and basically said "figure this out", I'm not sure he'd be downloading ABRP or swapping to EV rates. In this hypothetical it wouldn't surprise me if he went back to ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So many of these charging stories makes no sense.

I think the problem is with all the FUD its still a problem for depreciation…and people just get tired of hearing it over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The OP's acquaintances mirror the situation in the US. A recent McKinsey survey indicated 46% of EV owners may switch back to Petrol ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭dodzy

I’d wager that many here would not have entertained changing to EV if they were paying less than 70c per ltr of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭dodzy

the vast majority of current EVs could do the first leg of that trip with plenty to spare. Plug in the granny charger at destination for a few hours and you’re sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

The US is a very different kettle of fish though. EV sales over there are on an upward trajectory with June breaking the record for most EV's sold in a month. So while the momentum has slowed a wee bit sales are still increasing unlike here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

But with that driving pattern you’d assume public charging was not required.

Can't say I've many 300k trips on the spur of the moment with a car full off kids who were happy to do that non stop. Not sure my ICE petrol would do that on half a tank either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

See this is the FUD. And unfortunately it comes from within as well as ev-haters. I mentioned 50 KW charger because that is the only DC within 15 minutes of my house. If there was a higher power 10 minutes away it would be moot, as battery would still be cold. So quick top-up before journey still not easy.

There are 2 fuel stations with 5 minutes of my home. Total of what, 18 pumps? And fill up would take max 5 minutes. How much will you get from a 300kw DC in 5 minutes after a 5 minute drive?

And also I said 60% starting out. And 270km. Please stop mis-quoting to serve a point. Find me an ICE that won't do 270km on 60% full? Using a granny charger adds 2% an hour as well. It is a last chance option, not a useable one.

I own an EV. I will probably keep it, or buy another if I haven't been too burned by market. But guys to say that people who are financially able to take the hit and move back to ICE are wrong is blinkered. Until there are DC chargers in similar abundance as petrol pumps, or even half that number. Then EV has a lot of challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A recent poll I saw showed that 98% of people will stick to EVs, so yeah they are in the 2% who will make the headlines

Considering almost every town and village in the country now have much better charging infrastructure than even one year ago it is interesting that they recently changed back to ICE cars. Sounds like they'll be back in a few years time when all the petrol/diesel stations close because of the 2035 ICE ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

We have a Tesla model Y RWD since March 2023, no regrets whatsoever but probably go for a BYD next time as I think they have a nicer interior

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

But on a more positive note, the recent carbon reduction report is great news. And EV has played it's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I take your point. But am curious as to why you would need to top up so close to home? You get the best charging speeds when your battery is below 30%, so without knowing what car you have or its battery capacity, I can only use charger rates to estimate how long you would need to stop to get the rest of the way. A 150kW charger would give you 25kWh in about 10 minutes. That's almost half of a 60kWh battery and a third of 75kWh. And your battery would be well warm enough to get that speed (assuming the car is capable of it).

Edit: I see you say it would take half an hour to charge up on a 50kW charger, so 25kWh is accurate for a top up on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And here I was thinking the government actively made us buy diesels not so long ago. But I must remember that wrong, surely we are all just idiots.

Was that not 16 years ago and before dieselgate? Lots of things changed in that time. Not least the realisation that diesel is not as clean as it was made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Electric cars are bland and boring pcp muck.

One car I have is a straight 6 and we did a lot of work on it lately including treating her to a new exhaust and camshaft kit and the sound even when idle is just beautiful. Get her up to 6 /7,000 and she's screaming lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It was 16 years ago when it started not when it ended. Did it in fact end yet? I'm still paying a pittance in road tax compared to the perfectly good petrol car I sold for half nothing 'cos it was about €1200 to tax.

You're not wrong. But changing the road tax on existing vehicles would require re-testing emissions on every diesel car in the country resulting in a myriad of changes with even the same cars having different road tax rates. Never mind the uproar it would cause. And new cars having properly tested emissions are still benefitting from the emissions based road tax regime.

So it's been left sit for the upcoming ban will deal with it. Less and less diesel models hitting the showrooms even now. Somebody asked on the motors thread about the new BMW 5 series touring model being launched here in diesel and it was confirmed that it wouldn't come here or the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭crl84

They just seem like two morons so. Complain about the public charging network, yet basically never use it. Taking a massive financial hit in the process.

Most EV drivers will say that the public charging network could be better, but if you're rarely, if ever, using it, you just make do. If these lads were using it weekly, then I'd (kind of) understand.

Yes even with EV sales down 25% there's still another 10,000 added in the first half of the year (14% of 75,719) displacing what would have been ICE cars, which will all help with the carbon reductions in transport.

As long as the overall trend doesn't eventually reduce the countries physical numbers in the EV fleet we are doing well. Hopefully the policy of the next government is more EV friendly which will help things along as well

They did, back in 2008, yes. They were concerned at the time of the high carbon dioxide emissions from petrol cars. Diesel is much cleaner per km driven in that respect and that remains a fact.

The problem was that NO2 emissions were vastly higher and causing people to get sick. With Zero emissions vehicles this is less of a problem

I find cars with Internal combustion engines are bland and boring pcp muck.

The instant power and quieter engines (zero noise motors) really make for the most pleasant driving experience I've ever had in any form of car.

One of the best feelings ever is leaving fancy ICE cars for dead on a motorway. Foot to the floor and feel the G's is incredible

I know my older ICE (petrol) won't. It doesn't get close to the official figures.

Not entirely sure why you're limiting yourself to 50kw charger. I assume you have to pass faster chargers on a 270km journey. Or why use a granny charger or charging when cold. Because your stopping at the start, why not stop later.

I think you're creating challenges that are easily avoided.

This is it entirely. There zero disincentive from the govt not to get diesel. All things considered.

Granted not an EV, my neighbour traded in his 12 month old plug-in hybrid Skoda for a diesel Skoda. He does a lot of mileage and claimed the hybrid was costing him a fortune in fuel. Most of his driving would be on 100kph national roads when the electric motor would not be used. I can only imagine the petrol engine in the hybrid was guzzling juice.

If I hadn't one already I'd be tempted to make him an offer for his unused zappi 😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You'd have to wonder how much extra money your neighbour was spending on fuel to justify taking the financial loss on trading in a 12-month-old car, unless of course your neighbour is just one of those people who regularly likes to trade into new cars and the drivetrain doesn't really matter to them.

When people ask you why you switched cars it's better to come up with a reasonable sounding excuse instead of, because I wanted to and could afford it. I'm working on my excuses for why I need to upgrade my Garmin running watch when the new model comes out in September, the real reason is I like shiny new things, my partner thinks it's ridiculous that I spend money on gadgets.

I should have said it wasn't a new diesel, possibly 6 months old at the time iirc so the hit I'd imagine wouldn't have been as bad.

Either way I personally think a 77kWh EV would have done the job just as well as the diesel. While he does high mileage, all his charging could have been done at home saving him even more than he is supposedly saving now.

The ironic thing is the diesel went back in for work to be done and he was in turn given a Fabia for the month the Octavia was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If he was home charging and doing a lot of business mileage I wonder was simple financial/expense logistiscs a factor? Some companies haven't shifted to allow home electricity bills to be sliced and diced and presented for business expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have an ESB fast charger 5 minutes from my house. If I am to go on a 270km Journey with 60% battery, I wouldn't even consider stopping at the local fast charger even though I pass right by it on any long journey. That would be crazy. I don't know what car you have, but you mention 50kWh battery, so I will assume around 400km range. This would be similar to me. So with 60% charge, I would want to be comfortable and leave a good 10% buffer, leaving me 200km of travel distance. I would only charge in the last 50km unless there was good reason to charge within the last 100km. Surely it makes to travel at least 100km, to 150km before stopping for a charge, which will be faster because the battery is warm and closer to empty. I would only use the near charger if I was in a 24kWh Leaf and even then it would depend on the journey.

Likewise, I wouldn't stop at the same nearby fuel station in a petrol car. One of my recent petrol cars was a Mitsubishi FTO. Funnily enough, it used to get about 400km to a full tank, so similar to my EV. That's around 40km per 10%, so 10km shy of 270km with 60% tank.

Granny charger gives the car at least 2kW/h. With a 50kWh battery, 2kWh is 4% minimum. I agree though it's not exactly a viable way to charge if you need a fast top-up.

I disagree with your last statement of the required number of DC fast chargers simply because the vast, vast amount of EV owners will almost never need to use a DC fast charger. Even if we had as many EVs as ICE cars on the road, the demand for DC chargers would be a mere fraction of the ICE demand due to the fact that the charging will be done at home in nearly all cases. We do need to see greater access to home charging for those without a driveway though.

While I loved my FTO Mivec the most of all my ICE cars, including the sound of the custom quad exhaust both idling and at 6700rpm when the Mivec was belting out wondrous notes that made me smile from ear to ear…I enjoyed equally, though differently the drive in my first 24kWh Leaf. It was like driving a bumper car and I loved it. Fast forward to the torque of my Model 3 and I can't agree with your statement at all, as much as I understand the point you're trying to make. Plenty of boring ICE cars out there too. Apples and Oranges.

Nobody really believed Diesel was clean. But hey, the chape tax turned many eyes. A complete joke then and still is now.

Stay Free

Advertisement