Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options
1223224225226227229»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Google led me to the owners, photographers living in Dun Laoire, abroad at the time. Car wouldn't start, couldn't get a mechanic to work on it, she said.

No parking, getting grief from the Council, so they told the Council to take it away.....

Told me they'd be delighted if I could save it.

Went to the scrapyard with this info, got a very hostile reaction, claimed that by talking to the owners I'd endangered their contract with SDCC.

Am now a persona-non-gratis there........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I think that new boot shape came in 1988. 1981 tax book makes you NCT exempt.
    Remember years ago someone posted a picture here of a 2000 Merc C250 turbodiesel in Ballyshannon on a ZV for a 70’s Merc 250 petrol. That C has probably rusted away to nothing by now though

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭The Macho Man

Yeh I was questioning that myself. This is a mark 2 Jetta, don't know how he got an older plate on it.

There’s a MK1 Jetta from roughly 1974 to 1984. Vento superseded the MK2 Jetta in 1993.

What BS by the breakers. If their contract was that sensitive, they’d remove the plates immediately. If the car is still there, they’re probably just waiting to find a tax book to put a new plate on it.
    Very frustrating to come across classic owners that will just scrap a car like that because they can’t be arsed to find a mechanic, it’s not like it’s a 1930’s Lancia or something. Quik Fit would probably have gotten it going. Or stick it up on Donedeal as a non-runner. Let someone benefit from it.

/rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, and I found it incredible that people who had included the car in atmospheric shots taken in Portugal, and showcased on their professional instagram page, should just dispose of it like an IKEA bookcase.

I can only conclude that they are on a payscale vastly different to myself or most others.

Gutted to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

1979 to 1984. I had an 81, 85, 88 and 91 all diesels and all over 175k before selling on. Still buying VW's!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair play to you, at least you tried.

It's a bad system that mandates wilful destruction of something that has a value, whether in a financial sense or as heritage.

Waterways Ireland manage the inland waterways, rivers, lakes and canals.

When they lift boats because they are abandoned or owe fees they are taken to a compound and advertised for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Two quite different V8s in north wicklow recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Saw this beauty tucked away at the back of a carpark in Dalkey.

54000 km on the NCT disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like a flying saucer from the rear…

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOCw93BoWjpn3Q0cDomJFRdhgLkn8md72gQwKjh

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Last year (or 2) of it needing an NCT aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

A few from a show in Abbeyleix last weekend. The Ferrari was a kit car (my mate looked up the reg, some British car). Was talking to the Cosworth owner, I used to have one same year so he let me sit in and rev it :)

I've never seen a Mercedes W116 at a show before, there was 3 there!

Saw a fair few nice classics rolling around Portarlington today, unfortunately only got 2 of them. The second was a stunning Fiat 130 with the V6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

On my way to Norwich, I saw this beautiful Cobra replica (made by a crowd called creadonreplicas.com )

As I was walking back to my car, I could hear him putting the foot down as he left the car park. It sounded amazing.

Nice number plate.

Advertisement