Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I dunno how much tillage can be used in this system. It would entirely depend on whoevers managing.

But for context even if any of the current lands under conventional tillage that’s used to grow grains, started to go the way of min till or adding cover crops wouldn’t it be a turn in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

You do not know about tillage.

You know the Soviet collective system made famines worse, but hey, save the planet man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

We have the quality of land to grow wheat and veg to feed the population, what we lack is the weather, Irish milling wheat is a scarce commodity even during a good summer and never has the baking quality of that grown in mainland and eastern Europe

Exactly.

Port records going back to the 12th century from France and Britain show that Irish beef and butter were unloaded from ships that then took finished goods back.

Greens think starving people is saving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Mankind is in a situation rather like a 40year old grossly obese person who has been warned that unless he changes his lifestyle he will be dead in 5 years. He has a choice to make - change his lifestyle and live past 70 years or refuse to change and die at 45.

It's entirely up to us whether we choose to die out as a young civilization or make the necessary changes to live a long happy time. Saying it is hard won't stop you ending up a fat bloated corpse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…money creation doesnt work that way at all, money is created with relative ease, within our financial institutions, on a daily basis, our current problem with money is how we re using it, and we re mainly using it to inflate the price of assets such as property, rather than actually trying to create new property and assets, including new infrastructure such as transport infrastructure etc…..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Greens think starving people is saving them

Can you point to somewhere in their policy docs that would show that the GP want people to starve or even to not have foods which were, wholly or in part, grown abroad?

(for reference I'm not a member of the GP or any other party - I just don't understand the need some have to misrepresent the GP's policies)

No forested land would need to be touched.
    it’s environments like these photo’s above that need to be addressed.

So places like the Amazon rainforest would stop being destroyed.

environmental damage is occurring for various different reasons, impoverishment is one of the most common in countries such as brazil, we urgently need to address these issues, in order to try prevent environmental damage…..

They'd strangle food production if they were let. We've the most environmentally suitable lands for beef farming and the Greens want us to offshore to other less suitable lands. That's just lunacy.

How many people have needlessly died since the Greens blocked the N25 upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Would you care to come back to the points I raised on your previous post?

Why is grain grown in Ireland not used in bread making?

I’ve Worked on tillage farm’s all over the US, UK & Australia.

But please do educate me in your own words about it.

My response was a response to your points - we either find a way to do the things I outlined or we wont have a choice since we will not be here.

Your complaint that its all to hard simply doesn't cut it. The future will look very different to the present and its very difficult to actually see what it will look like at the start of an energy revolution - I choose to believe that it will ultimately be a far better world for most people and the things we imagine that are indispensable will ultimately not be missed.

But at the same time you said you knew nothing, or little about tillage.

In another post you asserted that there was science before peer review. Prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The Amazon rainforest gets cut down due to the economic benefits that farming the land brings.
    You want a planned economy based on green ideology, however you'll constantly be facing a head wind with actual real-world economics.
    I'm not sure there are very many examples of planned economies faring very well, particularly at scale, spanning continents, nations and cultures.

Infact, being the case that countries are just going to cheat in recording CO2 emissions, i'd say you haven't a flipping hope peddling this stuff outside the bubble of the affluent west, which has largely benefitted the most from fossil fuels.

In my opinion, we, as in Ireland and the EU, should pivot to managing the projected effects of a warming climate, instead of punishing ordinary people with green dictates, disrupting markets, talking down to developing countries and basically just making an overall nuisance of ourselves.

I agree things need to change but it’s great having aspirations- it’s figuring out how to get buy in from everyone that is the hard part.

Life has to be made easier for people by choosing environmentally friendly ways not harder.

For example water- all new social housing should be built to a standard where rain water is captured and used at the location, ran through filters and then used for showering, washing, cleaning, sewage etc. This would take the pressure off sewage treatment plants during periods of heavy rain.

There should be retrofit schemes in existing housing- schemes that don’t involve contractors getting rich either, homeowners getting subsidised with tax credits would be preferable.

Water will, and in some places is, an extremely valuable resource so we should do something about it now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So as presumed, you made up the claim and in order to defend yourself you throw out a "look over there" allegation about them 🙄

No I Didn’t, I said I dont no how many acres could be planted in tillage in a regenerative system. Read back.

Peer review was started sometime in the 1600s by the Royal Society i believe. open to correction.

How much technology was created before that time. How did we go from cavemen to sticks & stones, to the bronze age to the iron age.
    Look what the Egyptians built without it.

Even use agriculture, 10k years old. Who discovered or thought of planting or crops or irrigation?
    All achieved without peer review.

Before data sharing through peer review - it took a ridiculously long time for technology to progress. Its not even funny to not see the difference it made to progress.

• Advertisement

"I agree things need to change but it’s great having aspirations- it’s
    figuring out how to get buy in from everyone that is the hard part.

Life has to be made easier for people by choosing environmentally friendly ways not harder.

For
    example water- all new social housing should be built to a standard
    where rain water is captured and used at the location, ran through
    filters and then used for showering, washing, cleaning, sewage etc. This
    would take the pressure off sewage treatment plants during periods of
    heavy rain.

There should be retrofit schemes in existing
    housing- schemes that don’t involve contractors getting rich either,
    homeowners getting subsidised with tax credits would be preferable.

Water will, and in some places is, an extremely valuable resource so we should do something about it now. "

I entirely agree.

We lived off rainwater for twenty years, its perfectly viable for every household.

Water pumping takes a stupid amount of electricity to pump to every house and most of it goes straight down the drain. Wasted energy wasted money and wasted carbon emissions.

Beyond a certain point it falls to governments to make the meaningful changes that make these things happen. Its not up to individuals to solve global warming.

completely agree with most if not all of that, only problem is, our political institutions are following, therefore implementing policies based on promoting individualistic approaches and solutions to our problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rainwater is a currently wasted resource in homes. It certainly should be captured and reused, especially for toilets and the like. Someone previously said we should be making homes capture it. That will add more costs, which over the past decade or more, "green" tech being mandated on new homes has pushed prices to stupid levels.

There's a plan afoot now to pump water across the country instead of fixing the leaks. Utter madness.

@thinkabouit, I agree with the min till and cover cropping. And CTF is also very positive for soil health. It would also reduce the nitrate leaching that is primarily a tillage problem from soil disturbance.

I know that, but we don't just "create" it and think that's all grand. If that was the case, sure none of us would work and we'd be printing money as a state to just hand out. We should be investing in offshore, but we shouldn't just because it's the topic of the day unless there's some sort of costings done to show what the bill at the end will look like. That costing is currently missing and all we've to go by is Eamon Ryans estimate of €100bn for the 37GW offshore turbines but there's nothing on the infrastructure needed to get the power ashore, the Hydrogen plans, etc

So to summarise, it’s a management problem.
    A change of thinking is what’s required? Change our decision making?

Change isn’t going to come from Governments, they have far to much complexity to manage & risks to take. Politicians rarely take unnecessary risks. Change has to start small until enough people get on board & then government’s & organisations will act.
    The only problem about that is how much time it will take & I don’t believe we have that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Is it just me or where oh where are all the so called climate change associated wild fires this year ?

Could the communist focussed greens be having an arsonist recruiting problem this year ?

They’ll have to go into usual brainwashing hysterical reporting mode now with no blazing razzmatazz in the background this year.

We have a drinking game in my house. Every time a bot reporter like G.Lee (RTE) says the words “highest record” or “drought” we take a drink. Not one sober head by the end of the newscasts.

I love it when people equate their own personal ignorance for something not happening. It's comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

I love the irony of the “Deny All” pop-up when you first open the Climate Change page on the CAMS website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

here is a wild fire in Calafornia too. Ooops it was in 1980

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panorama_Fire#:~:text=The%20Panorama%20Fire%20was%20a,contained%20on%20December%201%2C%201980.

Tell me was that because of Climate change ? What’s the usual nonsense they talk about ….. dry earth or magnifying glasses sparking wild fires ? It’s frankly too insulting for anyone’s intelligence to take these fake science “experts” seriously for one second.

Advertisement