Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Him and demare were both relegated, damn right too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

Post edited by G1032 on

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

looking back at the overhead Sam stops his sprint after Cav’s deviation. Not that I think he was well enough positioned but he has had awful luck so far with incidents like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tree cover today so lost it just before the line

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Very interesting tour so far. I can’t believe so many people fancy Jonas over Pog. Jonas is even favourite on most of the betting sites for GC. People have very short memories. Was it only last year where Visma worked out that Pog wouldn’t survive the tour based on his training CSS coming in due to injury and he subsequently cracked on week 3. Surely UAE are using the same tactics this year? Pog with the better team I’m predicting Jonas to crack in the high mountains (even though he’s the better climber)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's highly likely that Pog will be wrecked in week 3, remember he has a giro in his legs.

I still haven't ruled out Remco with all that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

Just realised netflix don't have access to intermarche.... That's extremely unfortunate given the way things have gone with Girmay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It remains to be seen whether Vingo has the durability. However, it's admitted concern of Pog/ UAE on the very high kj days. Pretty sure I heard or read an interview with one of his new coaching team that they believe they have addressed this. Not just last year, but 2022 it was the big hard days that Jonas did the damage. Plus for Vingo's lack of racing, there's also Pog having the Giro in his legs.

Have to say, really impressed with Remco as well. Again, you forget how young and relatively inexperienced he is.

• Advertisement

UAE have shown one thing in abundance, they don't have the discipline of Jumbo, they are an incredible team but Jumbo beat them in the tactics most of the time. Pog still can't help himself and his teammates are having minor tiffs over nothing in regards pacing.

Roglic a DNS. I'm with the Latern Rouge guys, it has to be positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That’ll be Roglic going to the Olympics now I reckon, Slovenian Olympics Committee had said they were leaving a space open for him

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I'd agree, it seems from the outside that UAE aren't near as well organised as Visma. Surely Ayuso and Almeida knew they were coming to the tour to support Pog? I also think that Pog needs a really strong voice in his ear to stop him from constantly attacking when maybe he'd be better off sitting on the wheel.

Maybe have his Mamai on the radio giving directions from the DS, that should sort it out. If he doesn't sit in and have manners, she will get out of the car and give him a clip around the ear or take him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Roglic DNS today. That man has 0 luck*

* Apart from his 3 Vuelta, Giro, almost every 1 week race, LBL, Olympic TT.

0 luck in TdF anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Roglic finishes with a great Palmares if he never wins another thing. He’s like Tony Rominger or Bugno. No luck at the tour.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well a few of those wins came despite crashing in them as well to be fair! I actually like him, and it took confidence to leave Visma (where he could've been the rider for the Giro/ Vuelta, and 2nd protected rider in the Tour), but still the Tour is the big miss from his Palmares.

I mean we still talk of Kelly missing a Ronde and Worlds, and Fignon's 8 seconds from a Monument and Giro/Tour double season in 1989!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

they didn’t. They announced the team and he wasn’t in it. He had said he didn’t want to do the ITT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fascinating stage now with Visma pushing themselves out of the peleton

Maybe they saw Ayuso struggle and think it’s worth attacking Pog, even on a flat stage

• Advertisement

If Visma make it to the front group, they'll have six riders, UAE will only have 3 and Remco will be on his tod

Ayuso now abandoned.

Not sure about Yates in the front group. He'll have to flog himself senseless to stay ahead, all to gain maybe a minute on GC and make himself less than useful in the mountains tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Damn this stage is far too interesting to head out and do my own training 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,864 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The peloton got Yates and most of the break back… so the 4 escapees from the breakaway have a minute:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Ayuso abandons with covid, sounds like it's widespread in the pelaton. Could have a huge impact on the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,864 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Echelons!

And just as things started to calm down with Yates reeled back in, wind hits and splits forming… GC teams driving it at the front.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

God, i love echelons

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Healy in group 2 unfortunately (being called the Peleton on PCS). He would probably have fancied attacking on these hills towards the end. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Girmay, Jasper and a ew of the top sprinters in the lead group. Not sure where Bennett is but doesn't look like the front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Will probably come back together to be honest.

Advertisement