Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Whatever private company put up their charges, they must not be in the IWMA.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2024-07-10/23/ (10 July 2024).

"The Department is currently engaging with the Irish Waste Management Association (IWMA) and other stakeholders such as REPAK – to quantify what substantive impact, if any, the introduction of the Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) will have on the waste collection system in Ireland over the longer term."

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭bog master

And it was quoted in the email from Repak that waste collectors would suffer a loss of valuable collectables.

It's Brussels again. They also made it very hard to separate the ring pulls from aluminium cans.

It is mandatory for all EU states to have phased out loose caps by 3 July for plastic drinks bottles up to three litres. It's part of an EU directive announced in 2018 that aims to reduce single-use plastic waste. Loose caps have been banned as part of a larger plan to tackle plastic waste in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know if he is fobbing them off.

I think they might persist a little longer especially in light of their recent pr campaign in the Indo.

I have no idea where the negotiations are at but I would have expected some public statement if they had broken down.

If they have I expect we will hear soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not obvious that its a new thing, first few times it looks like a slight problem with the bottle/carton so you can force them off but are then left with an awkward "sticky out bit"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Now that you mention it I suppose they didn't really try too hard to promote the concept.

Once you get used to it the idea makes sense.

There used to be a lot of bottles caps and pull seals littered.

It's a pity that companies like Coca Cola waited until 2024 to use tethered caps. They knew it was going to be law for years before that. The caps are lethal to the environment.

https://www.coca-cola.com/ie/en/sustainability/attachedcaps

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was news to me at any rate, a couple of bleeding gums (joke) too late. Without it being explained ahead of time it just came across as an annoyance. Im sure its a plus but bottlecap litter never stuck me as high on the list of problems to solve

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No minister can do anything, even if they really wanted to. Our waste management is handled by private companies because FG sold it off, and they can do what they damn well please if it's within the law.

Raising your prices is within the law.

This is what happens when government hand over essential public services to a privately owned cartel and why it should never be the case. They can just shrug and say "oh there's nothing we can do. What a pity" because they've already abandoned their responsibility.

And I'll put money on it that it won't be the last price hike because of this stupid scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And here we are several months later. Law abiding citizens who paid our bin charges, segregated our waste, picked rubbish & recyclables from the road & beauty spots. Now put to extra hassle having to collect & feed machines to get our own money back. Whilst the utterly predictable outcome of bin charges rising has come about.

We need to get the public stocks back and lock these lads in it for a day so the public can pelt them with offal and refuse.

But as it is, we'll have to do with thrashing them next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

Bord na mona email sent on 12th July regarding charges going up from 1st July - no mention of previous per kilo charges so hard to figure % increase:

"From 1st of July, your Pay by Weight service charge will not change. Instead, the cost per kilo of waste will increase by the following amounts: General Waste Bin €0.05 per kilo, Recycling bin €0.03 per kilo, Organic bin €0.03 per kilo (if applicable), Glass bin €0.02 per kilo (if applicable).

2024 Service Charges

As with other waste companies we find ourselves dealing with significant cost increases. Over the past couple of years, the cost of general waste disposal has seen substantial increases, and this trend has continued this year. We wish to assure you that we fully understand the implications of a price increase, and through our internal cost-saving measures, we have limited this to the least possible amount for our loyal customers."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And yet unnecessary step needlessly complicating refining. Instead of having unified material stream they have to send it through sorting machine as caps are from different plastic and cant be refined with bottles material.

So much for being green wasting extra electricity, man power and tons of water separating what could have been done cost free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭beachhead

A good yank and the cap comes off leaving the ring around the neck of the bottle.Spillage might be a problem for some.

Well leaving out the stocks I agree with you that the consumer should not have to go to the trouble of DRS and also pay a private company for not collecting the plastic bottles and cans.

If you want to make sure the caps end up in the recycling system it seems like keeping them attached to the bottles is a good idea.

What alternative are you proposing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This says it all regarding the stupid caps on bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The caps aren't a big problem, you can just rip them off handy and screw back on when done. That's what I do with milk cartons anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What I do too - too frigging annoying to reorientate just to pour some milk out - I'm sure they will start strengthening the plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

FG did not sell them off. LA were losing substantial money on rubbish collection between staff costs, inflexible work practices and being charge waivers. Outside Dublin eubish collection was git rid of by tge LA in the mid naughties.

In Dublin LA kept it on until about 2012 it was losing 10 million at the time

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Shan Doras

For the first time yesterday, I witnessed an "unwell person" (Joe Duffy language) collecting bottles and cans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You can make all the excuses you want. You still end up paying more and it will be more and more to come.

If you're happy with that, so be it. But we should never have privatised our waste management and the sooner we take it back into public ownership, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't mind the caps at least I don't lose them now. I found pushing the cap back till you hear a click holds them in place and aren't much of nuisance then. The biggest nuisance is the carrying empty bottles around with you till you either get home or if you buy another drink. I am going to the airport tomorrow so more than likely will buy a bottle of soft drink in the departures will be charged the tax, I think departures in the airport should exempt for this charge.

Brought a black bag full of cans and bottles to Tesco's most were taken had a few rejections but a wipe of the barcode to make sure no liquid was on it and most of them were accepted. Had 3 cans that would not be accepted by the machine and was about throw them in the bin when I said I would try the machine next to it and cans were accepted first time, so one machine would not accept them even though it accepted similar cans but the machine next to it took them no problem. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Did you bring cans and bottles with the purpose of being used at home with a green bin outside your house. Only to haul all said cans to your local return? So efficient isnt it as well as being charged more by your refuse provider. Great scheme( cough!!(scam)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Shopping in Aldi in Belgard this morning and there was a lad in Panda Waste uniform with 3 back bags full of cans/bottles feeding the machine. The other one was broken and there was a queue of annoyed looking people waiting behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭bog master

My Friday-had 2 weeks of cans/bottles as at last weeks shop the machine was out of service. End up parking an extra 30 odd metres further away as disabled spaces were full. Get to machine, out of order. Trudge back to car with 2 bags and head back to do me shopping. Yer man comes waltzing out with a coffee and some sort of bun, shiny tracking suit and fancy runners and jumps into his car that is parked in a disabled place.

Finish shopping and notice on way out that machine is now working. Bring me bags back in, queue of 4 people with 1-2 large bags each. Ah just wait and get this done says I. 10-15 minutes later its my turn at the machine. Takes 1 can and shuts down!

Back to the car again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 c2r

Worth noting for anyone travelling to France this summer that a lot of the premium cans from Belgium/Germany in the hypermarket in Cherbourg had the returns logo on them, so you can subsidise the already much cheaper beer you bring home by a further 15c a tin thanks to Return!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

At Dunnes yesterday and there was a bit of a queue. We were queuing alongside an open orange return bin. A fella near the top of the queue was taking items out of the return bin and putting them in his bag. He then proceeding to put these items without an issue into the machine which means they were paid out on twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Not an uncommon sight in Dublin city centre now to see individuals emptying out bins searching for cans and bottles and not being too bothered about putting the rubbish back in. Similar individuals harassing passers-by for their cans/bottles if they're carrying some.

Also on my travels I've seen people rummaging through the large bins outside apartment buildings, but at least they weren't leaving too much of a mess.

The 'circular economy' in action. Can't get much more circular than that!🤣😂

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement