Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

Out of curiosity (and in no way am I implying you should use it), did anyone mention the cycle lane?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they did in the comments on the youtube video!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There was no mention of it in the court.
    When his barrister questioned the garda whether the bus lane was in operation on a Sunday on a national route, he said it was. When I was asked to describe the event, I mentioned how I was travelling westbound along the N4 in the well signposted 24/7 bus & cycle lane so maybe I nipped his cycle-lane crap in the bud (but to be fair had he pushed it, I was ready to ask him of his knowledge of the RUS 028 and RUS 029 signs from the Government's Traffic Signs manual).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Were you hoping you were going to spring the signs on the barrister?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nah but I had kind of expected them to ask why I wasn't in the crappy cycle lane and I was already familiar with the signs. When the garda told me before we went in that the driver was contesting the validity of the bus lane, I knew I was prepared.
    I had the whole scenario rehearsed in my head like a Hollywood courtroom scene but the prick never put it to me 🤬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

always better to be (over) prepared and not need it , than the other way round. Can seem a bit anticlimactic that way…

Glad you got some satisfaction SB … always a shame when its up to you to chase these things and make it happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had that one day. Was on one of the Dublin bikes and a guy in a work van did a very dangerous manoeuvre. He just started shouting at me that I had no high vis or helmet. It is just deflection and being unable to accept responsibility of their actions. Fairly minor issue in your case so bit weird that she made an issue of it.

On the bell issue I tend to give it a ring when well back to alert people of my presence. 9 times out of 10 they have headphones on or head in phone and they don't hear it or react.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

I forgot to turn off my invisibility cloak this morning

https://streamable.com/lj277j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

It seems to me that you made no real effort to slow down until the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

She's legally not required to be aware of her surroundings if she's operating a mobile phone whilst walking. He's clearly visually impaired - hence the sunglasses on such a gloomy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah they're at fault, but you could have gone on the outside of the (stupid, bollarded) bike lane, and had an easier life. That's what I would have done anyway. In fact, even if they weren't there crossing, I'd have avoided that cycle lane. That's just me though: pathological hatred for them.

What I do nowadays is just cycle around dicks 9/10 times, without complaining or making a big deal of it all, just to have a less stressful and easier life: basically ride pure defensively.

Edit: I'm not insinuating that you made a big deal out of it: I don't know, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Paddigol

as an aside, amazing quality footage… have heard mixed reviews about cycliq cameras - has reliability improved in recent times? A bike camera is next on my shopping list

Wasn’t entirely sure what traffic (if any) was in the lane to my right, and that junction to the left is terrible for sight lines so have to keep half an eye on that at all times. On top of all that, there was always a chance that they’d stop short of the bike lane and cross after I’d passed instead of blindly continuing across (as the guy did when he started crossing and then stopped to let an e-scooter past)

The Cycliq camera is pretty good alright. Low light performance isn’t great. I’ve had it for about a year and use it in all weathers, but have found a little bit of water has worked its way past the seal on occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I dunno, two wrongs don't make a right, you could see them long before you had to heavy brake, why not slow earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

My two cents, you're completely in the wrong there. They were already crossing so have priority, it would have been different if they'd stepped off the kerb from the left.

Why would you think they should have stopped short of the bike lane? It's just another lane same as the others so needs to be viewed as if you'd been in a car, they're not a special entitlement to plough on.

You’d be wrong.

46. (1) A pedestrian shall exercise care and take all reasonable precautions in order to avoid causing danger or inconvenience to traffic and other pedestrians.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print#article49

Your argument would be correct if I had moved off from stationary and they were already crossing per:

(2) When starting from a stationary position a driver shall yield the right of way to other traffic and pedestrians.

No they are not, they were crossing just as you came into view. I'm surprised you can't see that. Bring it to a Garda, at the very least you are getting an FPN for not having reasonable consideration. Legalities aside, there is no call for it whatsoever, it's basically the same thing as a punishment pass that many posters here have been guilty of.

Swing right, after slowing and looking over your shoulder, pass on the right, simples.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can even see the cars ahead stutter to let them cross.

Even at that, with the amount of people in various states of disarray around there who like to step out onto the road, I'd be generally taking it handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I was always taught that when approaching a junction if there are pedestrians already crossing, they have the right of way. (BBut It may have said uncontrolled junction, I just treat all the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

just found it, didn't think I'd find it so quickly

A driver approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws, and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294#:~:text=(2)%20A%20driver%20approaching%20a,accordance%20with%20these%20bye%2Dlaws.

something wrong with this tablet, I couldn't edit my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is that saying the driver must act in accordance with the bye laws, or the pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Proceeding way too fast down that hill considering the hazards ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Jees, let that be a lesson to you @TheHouseIRL, don't cycle in excess of 10km/h in case of obstacles and don't post footage of said cycle as your actions will be picked apart.

What about the parallel pedestrian crossing at the base of the hill, no one going to mention that? That's supposed to guide pedestrians and their safe crossing of the junction. Lights had turned green for road traffic well in advance of the mad cyclist approaching so pedestrians were effectively jaywalking but that means nothing in Ireland so pedestrians can cross with impunity even when unsafe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can we not just say that the pedestrians should have been more aware of their surroundings and the cyclist could have done more to avoid a near miss?

This, it is not a binary choice. The peds took a chance as the traffic was stationary and were well out of the way of the cars before they even started to move (there light went green as they crossed). The cyclist wasn't ging to fast down that hill, I'd often go down it faster but once he could see the pedestrians, he could have slowed and moved out to go around them. Instead he decided to "teach them a lesson" in the same vein as a punishment pass. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong here, they are both wrong, but none of it life changing or actually a concern to anyone. The peds were not hit and the cyclist stopped, it is only wrong because it could have been an incident if the pedestrians were not paying attention or the cyclists brakes failed and the lesson teaching became a lot more severe, both of which are stupid things to take a risk over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

going around them wouldn't be a great video to watch, cycling right up to them looks way better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I dont see the point of barreling down that road anyway given that you're nearly always getting a red light on the quays.

But it goes to show that, no this is not just a place to confirm your own biases. Even if the pedestrians could have done better,the op could have done a hell of a lot more.

W e constantly hold the less vulnerable user to account in here when it's a driver even when they might technically be correct and the law does too in a lot of cases, so we should be doing the same and mlt just saying ah yeah yoir grand.

There was more than enough time to avoid this "near miss"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Schorpio

One that didn't involve me for once. Anyone who knows this stretch knows it's lethal for drivers pulling out across the cycle lane without looking.

Look for the cyclist coming in the opposite direction (with the flashing light). The Audi pulls straight out across his path and collides with the cyclist. The actual collision looks to be minor - presumably because the cyclist got on his brakes asap.

I didn't actually realise at the time they the two had collided, I thought she had just cut him off and the two were having words.

Notice though how the driver gets out and immediately starts berating the cyclist for the collision - eventhough she is very clearly in the wrong. This is the mindset we are up against daily. Could you imagine the same collision but with two cars? The driver who had pulled out on the road wouldn't even dream of blaming traffic already on the road.

Advertisement