Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've been tempted to play Sekiro again as I saw it was in the Steam sale, but don't think I can justify it. If I was to play again I'd probably stick with PS5 rather than Steamdeck. I've played it through 3 times already though; the second time I save-scummed for the different endings to get the platinum, and then I played it again last year I think. Even though last year it had been 2-3 years since I played it, the muscle memory and even attack-patterns of the bosses came flooding back so it didn't take too long to play through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Says I when the cousin went to do her charity skydive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

TLOU part 2. They are all a bit incredibly unhinged. I'm warming to the clickers and bloaters at this stage.

I'm playing Kona at the moment. Walking in the snow is chilling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So let's move on from why haven't more of you not played ace combat 7 to why haven't more of you played 13 Sentinels?

I normally struggle through wordy games but this one has me hooked all the way to the end. It's a fantastic piece of hard sci-fi that despite the all the convoluted twists and turns ends in a very satisfying conclusion. The soundtrack is incredible. I also really enjoyed the presentation and sheer spectacle of the RTS sections which are absolutely manic even if you can probably beat them easily.

It's also a rarity these days, a genuinely good PlayStation exclusive that won't get a PC port, although I believe it's on switch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For me, personally, the combat system is something I hate, so that's why I'm not even remotely interested in it.

Unrelated, but not a bad article in the Guardian today about teens and gaming addiction/staying inside. Not my generation, but sounds about right to me. I can echo a few of the sentiments even if I'm 41. I will admit the want to change may not be in them, but one can't totally blame them for withdrawing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The combat system is a very minor part of the game and also not that challenging. I heard it described as a Moba or tower Defense. Both are genres that I have very little interest in and they give me major anxiety but this feels like something different. It's also real time and not turn based.

Anyway I still think it's worth giving a go because the battle system is less than 1% of your game time and not that difficult as the main focus is telling the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Had a look at a few reviews of it, seems a bit too narrative/text heavy for my liking, so I'll wait for eventual sub inclusion to give it a whirl, because even if the battles are only minor part, that minor part could stop me. Does look good though, I'll give it that, even if the combat is scrimped from actual mech/kaiju down to holographic identifiers instead…

If you are a little apprehensive then that is probably the best option as it is very text heavy and the story is the main part of the game. I still think it's worth trying as it's so unique.

If you care about platinums, it's a very easy platinum and you will get it just from a single playthrough without trying. Pretty sure it's my only platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Luna84

Anyone here play Figment? Started it last night and played about 7 mins of it before I went to bed. I will play it later if I find the time.

The urban dereliction and all that rain in post apocalyptic Seattle in TLOU2 is reminding me of Ireland. 😁

Seriously thought, the art + tech team did an incredible job of combining post apocalyptic urban areas and natural beauty and weather to incredible effect. Just looks stunning on OLED.

Even though the game is "kill everything + movie clips" it's still amazing. 😁 I came across a scene and I thought I was going to have to make some kind of faction choice like in Skyrim, but no, it was "kill everything".

I'm also playing with headphones on and it turns the whole experience up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Digital Foundry gushing over Outrun on Switch which is 2.09 euro at the moment. So the original ran at 30 FPS, and this runs at 60 FPS (or 30 if you want the original feel) plus a lot of extra bells and whistles. Also, the car no longer has a Ferrari badge on it. Also some info on PC Outrun 2006.

If you won't take it from me then take it from a man I know some of you respect.

It's seriously frustrating trying to tell people just how good this game is and get dismissed. It feels like when I was trying to tell people how good demons souls was and how it was better than uncharted 2 that year. And look now who was right all you unbelievers.

I'm off to O'Connell Street with my soapbox to tell people about the coming of our lord saviour Ace Combat 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently the Switch port was pretty good too: bit of a visual downgrade - obviously enough - but still preserving a solid amount of detail and a consistent 30fps.

Seems like a pretty amazing port. Some pop in but they kept the volumetric clouds and 30 fps is what it ran at on PS4.

Do you have a link to the PS4 Deluxe version of AC7 that includes an older AC game @Retr0gamer ? I'm finding lots of different versions with different DLCs. Also, I don't think I'll ever see it cheap physically so I'll add to Deku Deals alerts for a digital sale.

Every time you start Burnout Paradise:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had it installed on the PS3 so if I ever started the PS3 and doing something else before starting a game, I would leave it on Burnout Paradise so it would play the music. Either that or Ico.

• Advertisement

Bad news, looks like the digital deluxe version it came with was delisted so it's gone forever. I don't understand Namco making high quality remasters and locking them behind preorders like this.

The only DLC worth buying are the missions and I'd get them on sale, it's three really good missions but it's more like 10 euro worth rather than 20. Think the new switch version comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭recyclops

Don't want to bring up the controller battery debate but last night was a prime example of why it's a stupid design choice to not have them removable or give people choice.

After finishing Elden ring and on a from software buzz said I'd dust off the Ps5 and give demons souls a bash as its been 2+ years. Turn on Ps5 and it needs and update which is expected as it hasn't been turned on in a year or so, turn on controller one battery is dead, try controller two same, connect up controller to Ps5 and try play wired which is fine .

But what's this, controller needs update and not enough power in battery to update it, same as controller two. So I turn off the Ps5 after 10 mins of charging and still no joy, go to bed.

I get why they do it. Batteries decline sell more controllers but it's really bloody annoying.

Sony pretty obviously cheaped out as well. No hall effect sticks and terrible battery, especially compared to the switch pro controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Best accessory I got was the charge stand. Two controllers always sitting there fully charged ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭recyclops

If it was used all the time defo a worthwhile investment for sure .

I did same for xbox controllers. Mains powered rechargeable batteries 4 at a time and 8 in pack so never ever have to go wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Luna84

I broke out the Xbox 360 today and had to clear dead spiders off it. Spent ages looking for the Xbox 360 controller. Searched every where. Went through different boxes I had stuff in and everything. Eventually found it. And after not using a Xbox 360 controller in years. Personally the new controllers are better. But the 360 controller is built like a tank but the triggers and analog sticks are better on the new controllers. I played Simpson: Hit and Run. Mad thing is I never actually played it to the end ever. I even had a save file on the HD but decided to start from the beginning. It is an Xbox original game but I was playing it with backwards compatibility. Like all old games the camera isn't great we are spoilt now for years with great control of the camera while playing games. Will I play it till the end this time time will tell. As I'm actually in the middle of another game and seen someone play a bit of this game on Facebook today made me say I should play that.

I hate rushing through a game. It's like I'm converting a game into some kind of work task that has to be done by some deadline. WTF ! My patience has gone to hell.

Or maybe it's a trade off between risk vs reward vs boredom.

Edit ... or just not having enough free time to play games.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Nearly finished TLOU2. There are about 1000 endings in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mighty Keefe has some funny ol sketches.

Advertisement