Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I have to second this opinion, every time I'm in a dealership it's all a big fancy showroom with lots of smart looking people in suits wandering around doing feck all

I'd be more impressed seeing a dozen lads working on cars with all the equipment and knowledge they need to do their jobs in a timely and efficient manner

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Get yourself an OBD11 and upgrade to the pro version software.

OBD11 is official partner/ licenced by the VAG group.

I had similar BS “cant find any faults with the car” from my dealer until I bought an OBD11 and called them out on their diagnostics.

Changed their tune completely thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up my pro plus this morning. Screen definitely the first noticeable improvement. I like the micro fibre on the seats to. Haven't had much of a drive yet but seems equally as comfortable if not better on the 20s versus 21s on the gtx has plenty of power but haven't stretched it's legs yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

anything you miss from the gtx? Debating switching from my R line Tiguain to id4 but not sure i want to go down a trim level even though I know GTX and R line aren’t like for like.

The only thing is the all wheel drive but to be honest I can't say I miss that I just liked the reassurance of knowing it was there.. the gtx is a odd thing.. even the new one has the battery limitations of only giving you the extra power over 80% (I think) that really is a cod as you are advised only charge to 80% anyway for battery care and even if you go to 100 which I always did you might get 45 minutes driving before you are below 80% the 286bhp with the new motors are plenty in the pro plus. I liked my gtx.. it felt like version 1.5 of the id4, this update feels like version 2. Doing west to east coast this afternoon so looking forward to seeing efficiency comfort etc..

• Advertisement

I wish we had the 4motion here, which is basically the AWD but limited to 210kW instead of the 250kW in the GTX

As far as I know you can still get the AWD for extra torque and acceleration, but no limits on SoC being over 80%

It also has the regular interior instead of the GTX one. I was never a fan of the red and black of the GTX, although the grey and grey isn't exactly winning any awards either

Seems like better value than the GTX given it's usually a bit cheaper

Agreed. Just back from Sligo to North county Dublin. 15kwh average consumption..driving speed limits and 115 on motorway.. definitely ive more range than the gtx...arrived back with 60% left and something like 320km range left. 204km driven

Actually that's good timing because I'm just back from Carlingford to Dublin with the Halfords roofbox and bars. Averaged about 16.8kWh/100km, fairly minimal climate control of 16-18C (or 21C on the wife's side, pretty sure it wasn't doing anything)

I was limiting myself to 100km/h since the roofbox was getting a bit noisy, and also didn't want to test Halfords quality too close to the limits. It's apparently good up to 70mph, whatever that means 😏

Definitely a bit frustrating at those speeds when you're used to being able to jump to 120 and overtake whenever I want

So about 2kWh added consumption and a speed penalty. I was honestly expecting a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭CarPark2

I'm looking at pre-2024 ID4, and wondering about the spec of each of the different models. Obviously, the VW website only shows the spec of the 2024 models. Is there anywhere i can get the spec of the older version?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭space2ground1

As a complete aside, I have a Halfords Advanced roof box. When I opened it and checked inside, the manufacturing label was Thule 👍

• Advertisement

Yeah I did think that was odd. I suppose for me it’s the styling rather than performance I’d be looking at the GTX for so really what I wants is an iD4 R Line but no such thing. Feels like a massive jump from pro plus to gtx price wise when all I want is the styling. I could just go r line tiguain again but I want to move to EV so it’s either iD4 GTX or Q4 Sport I think.

At the end of the day you're still going to be limited by the discharge power of the battery

Most of them can only discharge at 3-4C, or 3-4 times the battery capacity. For a 77kWh battery that's around the 250kW mark which is what the GTX is currently rated for

If you want to get more detailed, the C rating is actually a measure of current against the battery capacity. So a 100Ah battery discharged at 200A is discharging at 2C. The voltage is mostly constant for lithium batteries

Often batteries can only maintain high discharge rates is a narrow range of SoC and temperature. This is probably why the ID.4 GTX only gives 250kW over 80% SoC and once the battery is around 25C temperature as I recall

You can in theory go beyond this but at the cost of accelerated degradation, or setting the battery on fire if you go REALLY outside the spec sheet. Easy to see then why VW played it safe

There's newer batteries that can do higher discharge rates, I think CATL showcased a 5C battery recently, so that'd be a 350kW ID.4 for comparison. I think it's safe to say those will be a ways off though

Don't buy a gtx for styling.. absolutely not worth it.. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.. as raisin said if they did the awd pro motion here I'd be all over that.. when I was trading dealer said the Irish market leave no value on all wheel drive which is a pity.. anything that makes a car safer is welcome in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

I see they have the 4motion available in GB

Yeah doesn’t feel like it is worth it but I don’t think I can live with the pro plus styling, just very bland and I don’t like the black bumpers and sills. I’m in no rush to change though so might see what happens with Q4 pricing. Nothing else out there appeals to me.

I recently did some Tokyo drifting at a junction after being slightly too enthusiastic on the accelerator. Wasn't even a wet road or anything

I remember thinking afterwards that some front wheel drive would be nice now and then

One thing I'll say for the black bumpers, it's a lot easier to clean off any scratches from stones or suboptimal parking. Just get some Autoglym bumper restoration spray and they look like new

i went for black metallic this time on the car and everything just blends in.. first black car ive had.. everyone tells me it looks great but terrible for keeping clean.. last colour was moonstone grey which everyone hated apparently.. just didnt tell me till i got the black one..

Folks anyone know if using Spotify via the inbuilt app is better or worse than using android auto? I feel like the experience is so much better on the infotainment I might use the inbuilt nav instead of Google maps which used to be my goto. Car came with version 4.1 of software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Moonstone colour is lovely, don't mind them.

Tried the inbuilt Spotify today and it seems to sound better than Spotify via android auto. Works pretty well, a little bit slower if you browse to a new album and play I guess the phone data connection might be quicker than the cars 4g connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HP22

Hi all, I'm picking up an ID4 Pro Plus this week - looking forward to venturing into the EV world!

A quick question on charging: I see that VW reference charging to 80% as best practice to preserve battery health but other EV owners have told me this advice is outdated due to improved battery tech. 60% of my monthly mileage will be short trips on local country and city roads with 40% made up of motorway driving for Dublin - Galway return trips twice per month. I was wondering if charging to 100% would make sense for the longer trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

charge to 100% when needed. Just don’t park it for weeks at 100%

does anyone know whats included with the new id4 service packs? when picking mine up last week my dealer was out sick and the other person said there was a pack included but wasnt sure of the details.. last time there was two tyres included. I will give him a shout when hes back at work but curious if anyone else knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭whizkid9

Post edited by whizkid9 on

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Picking up a 242 ID4 today at long last. Just wondering if anyone has any week 1 tips in terms of do’s and don’ts to make it easy to settle in?

Depending on your model check if auto hill hold is enabled.. it wasn't on my pro plus and it's a great job. Also change the locks settings to unlock all doors at once with the keys (if you have any family) otherwise it's a pain opening doors after you get in. I've mine nearly a week now and have done Dublin to Sligo and Dublin to Limerick and it's super comfortable to drive. The software setup is just light years ahead of what it was..screen is great etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What kind of efficiency are you getting so far?

• Advertisement

About 540km range.. efficiency changes on journey type...doing about 115 on motorway

Advertisement