Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really hope they just shuffle it over to another department, away from the MCU, and just make it it's own thing. Works so much better as a concept that way anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can only go off reporting and speculation, but it unsurpisingly seems to be stuck in the no-man's land of having a deeply controlling, risk-averse studio and an influential lead actor with a very particular vision of what he wants from the project. Seems a very tricky tightrope for any writer / director to successfully cross. It'd be much better off being it's own spin off or separate thing without the weight of the MCU on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're right, but at this stage you'd have to imagine this is chugging along on Sunk Cost logic alone; too much time and money spent already on a valuable IP to just abandon it outright.

Finding a way to wedge PG vampires into the MCU must be a total head-melt, you'd wonder how many studio notes this thing has endured already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

One iteration of the story I read, assuming it was true, is that there was 1 or 2 intelligent vampires as the villains, while the rest of the vampires were just an army of mindless CG monsters. It sounded very sterile and unimaginative as a concept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We'll always have the one with Wesley Snipes at least.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof, though given that has been the template for 90% of the MCU's various antagonists' forces, I'd not be surprised. As you say a very sterile approach if that's true; I wonder if at this stage they're even contemplating just retooling it as a TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Sounds like the Dark World level of creativity

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As a wise man once said "Some Motherf***ers always trying to I've aiste uphill"

On a MCU-comic note, it looks like they're giving Ms. Marvel in the comics her TV powers.

Wait. Is that Snipes' actual account? Cos that's some shade being thrown if so.

• Advertisement

Even more Blade fallout: the Hollywood Reporter has run an article on the whole debacle; bet Marvel really regret giving Ali any creative control on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It actually looks like it could be entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like they are going with a straight up horror.

Hopefully with the Netflix MCU back in the fold and Deadpool there as well they won’t shy away from making more adult content.

I mean, if you haven't watched Wandavision this show may possess next to zero interest given one's first reaction will be Who the F is 'Agatha'?I keep hoping one of these new shows or films triggers something in me, something to wrestle my enthusiasm back from apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I HAVE seen Wandavision and this still holds no interest to me. The only Marvel series that held any interest to me was Falcon And The Winter Soldier. That was pretty good. But when you are throwing that much money, that many good/great actors, that much backstory at something..... is "Pretty Good" really worth it? Secret Invasion could have been AMAZING. A 70's Cold War paranoia vibe series. Involving a post Blip world and a world where people try to struggle against oppression in a superhero world... nah.

Just bite the bullet and give a series with no connections to existing films (or next to none).

Take the Star Wars series. Obi Wan? Initially interesting but lost focus. Boba Fett? An embarrassing joke. Complete with Power Ranger kid Mods like some cheap Sci-Fi rip off of a Quadrophenia poster (not the movie, just the poster). The Mandalorian, their biggest hit? A merchandising dream that makes no sense and relies on cameos to keep people interested.

Meanwhile.… Andor. Yes, tangentially related to the movies but absolutely fantastic. Understated performances from great actors. No pandering to merchandising (the one main droid having more heart with one line ("she has p-p-pain in the knees") than any of the rest of the movies or series). No lightsabers, no jedi minimal cameos. No comedy generals or robots. And, in 11 episodes, at least three of the best monologues in the entire franchise.

TThere Is SO much space to have an interesting Marvel series. But there is too much money to be made sowhy bother thinking outside the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not the most pleasant person to work with apparently and prone to throw out the lack of respect the original Blad trilogy got. Despite the fact that the first two were very popular and well received. Hell, Del Toro made the 2nd one for God's sake!!!

Put it this way, I don't think he'll be turning up in Deadpool & Wolverine 😁

Maybe camp horror based on that final bit of the trailer!

Usually these unnecessary spin offs irk me but it looks potentially like a lot of fun. I hope it does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to say that looks pretty good. Obviously the flying and Red Hulk stuff could push it too far into CGI nonsense in the end, but looks pretty interesting so far anyway.

• Advertisement

Well, it looks like absolute digital garbage as all MCU films must do, without an ounce of flair or craft while the FX are as weightless and CGI as ever … buttttttt as a trailer and story, I'm intrigued & can't deny it. It's the first bit of MCU output that has turned my head enough to be genuinely interested to know what's gonna happen.

Could do without the bit at the end basically tipping its hand - barring a bait n' switch of those in the know re. Red Hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"You may be Captain America, but you're not Steve Rogers"

"You're right, I'm not"

Yup, that's a problem mate. Not a bad ass moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, anyone who hasn't seen the series on Disney Plus won't know the background and has one fewer reason to bother with this in the cinema. Not a great move on Marvel's part IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Like the look of the trailer to be honest. Looks promising - but the movie has an uphill struggle to prove itself.

Replacing Chris Evans is as big a deal as Captain America.

I actually liked Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and I liked Sam Wilson's character in it - but it did get mixed reviews iirc. This movie will be taking on those mixed reviews, plus the people who weren't bothered to watch it, plus the people who will be uninteresed because its not Steve Rogers.

I love all the 'original' Captain America movies, Winter Soldier is my fave Marvel movie. I'm hoping this lives up to the legacy. But not only is it battling the legacy, its battling the 'creative direction' Marvel has done in. I doubt this feels as grounded or physical as the originals.

I dunno: it was nodded towards in EndGame that Sam would be the next Captain America and Harrison Ford's character wasn't in the TV show.

This film has undergone large than normal reshoots and I'd not be surprised if some of those included sanding off connections with the TV series, lessons learned from Captain Marvel 2.

Yeah, it was fairly obvious that Mackie would be replacing Evans. No worries there. I just meant that it may involve a lot of background from the show that most people won't have seen. Might be nice if Disney would allow the show to be free for a while to encourage people to look at it (and their platform).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Feels like they are trying to give a Winters Soldier feel and vide to it.

Yeah that didn't land like they thought it would...but all things considered that was a good trailer overall.

The odds is still against it being in any way coherent, but they passed the first hurdle which is to entice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon it will basically be ignored.

The Flag smashers won't be in this.

It seems like Sam isn't Steve will be a core part of this movie, which was basically the entire point of the show - so that aspect is being redone? Show ignored.

Unless Wyatt Russel is in it, I don't think you will need to have seen a minute of the show. You might have more context, but I don't think you'll be lost at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement