Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's 3 types of lies, lies, dammed lies and stastics.

In the U.S., he said, that included about 4,000 respondents. In other words, only 1,840 people actually said they're likely to give up electric driving next time. That's a relative drop in the bucket, considering that about 1.4 million new EVs were registered in the U.S. in 2023 alone and many of those owners could be very happy with their purchases.

https://insideevs.com/news/726008/mckinsey-study-half-ev-buyers/

I get why in different contries they might never be suitable for a lot of drivers but on an island like ours it's a no brainer if you buy the one that will suit you in all circumstnaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It could be that. Our company offers civil service rates so to drive an EV as its considered to be in the 1200-1500cc band. My most recent 450km work spin cost €25 in electric as I did need some public high speed charging for comfort. That gave me €325 net to cover wear and tear, insurance etc.

The same spin in 2.0l diesel would cost €50 in fuel and net €355 for wear insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I don't know what car you have, but you mention 50kWh battery, so I will assume around 400km range.

Elsewhere on this forum he seems to indicate he has a Toyota BZ4X. Which has 64kWh usable? In any event it's relatively easy to work out that the 30 minutes on the 50kW charger is close enough to 40% charge, so total would be around 60kWh+.

400km range would perhaps be be the very outside with (assumed) motorway driving for some of it, so I'd say somewhere between 330 and 360.

The BZ4X has a pretty dismal charging curve. Might get 150kW from 10% to 30% and after that it just drops off a cliff. But that would mean (as you point out) the best time to stick it on charge would be maybe 200+km down the road and splash and dash up to 40% in 10 or so minutes. Makes no sense to charge immediately. At 60% SoC, it would max out at about 65kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

They are not business miles. He is a coach at a soccer club which requires 120km round trips several times a week. In addition his daughter plays camogie at intercounty level which requires a similar return journey a couple of times a week or at least it does for a good portion of the year.

He could do 500-700km per week. In my mind what he does is ideal EV territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The guy with the EQB from the original post who manages work sites outside Dublin is a soccer coach?

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought you were referring to my post just prior to yours where I was talking about my neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Nobody made you do anything.

The government incentivezed low Co2 cars, not diesels.

There were petrol cars paying a pittance in tax also. A lexus RX went from the top CC rate down to something like €200. An extreme example I know but there were plenty of smaller hybrids paying feck all, even petrol passats seen a drop in tax cost.

But no, Mary next door got a diesel so that was that.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

your could buy a focus 1.6 tdci in 2010 for about 17k. There were no hybrids only the Prius and insight which were far more expensive. The diesel foci etc were more or less the same price as the fiesta and Yaris petrols. Most stuff sold in that period seemed to either be a good value car with a psa 1.6 engine, an Octavia or on the top end a 520d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

its amazing how EV’s owners on boards are so loyal to EV’s and not willing to entertain other points of view, continually coming back to their own situation, which generally seems to be doing a commute and almost nothing else. The idea of driving across the country to look at something in a field and drive home again same day seems to be an alien concept. Also they can’t appreciate that not everybody has the luxury of charging at home on a super cheap rate, or have a huge investment made in solar etc.

For example Croke Park over last and this weekend might see 250,000 travel the country to watch a 90 min game. Parking is hard enough without having to find a spot to park and charge. Yes people might stop on the way but that doesn’t mean they will be stopping where there is a free high speed charger.I’m driving up and down from Kerry with thousands other tomorrow and sorry but it’s great to have to not worry about fueling up.

The McKinsey survey is the largest of its RS kind globally with a sample of 30,000 respondents, not six lads from one office with free charging paid by the company. 30% of EV owners globally said they would change back to ICE, 50% in the U.S.

https://www.teslarati.com/mckinsey-survey-46-percent-us-ev-owners-switch-back-ice/amp/

Irish people are saying something similar , hence sales are down by 25% here - while the market is rising. It’s no surprise to me to see petrol drivers changing back to diesel, or EV drivers going back to petrol, but it’s odd that EV owners seem to be offended by the idea that somebody else might have a different experience to theirs and decide to go back to ICE.

EV’s are amazing, can be super low cost to run, provide unreal acceleration and the styling especially on the stuff coming from China can be class, but they are not for everybody, get over it folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most genuine people would tend to agree that EV’s are not for everyone. It’s posted daily on here that they are not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Agreed, not for everyone, but suitable for alot more folks than you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Well,Oh made the change to Ev,currently doing 2-300km urban driving per week.Should save a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Broad stroke there and a bit blinkered. I see plenty of EV owners hammering the issues faced by EV owners, those wanting to be an EV owner and those asking about becoming one.

It's safe to say that the overwhelming distance spent driving for average Joe is during their commute, so it's no surprise that is used as the main metric for measuring suitability, followed by the question of longer journeys and frequency of them. Any milk float can do the trip to the supermarket, but one won't recommend a 10 year old Leaf for the weekly trip home from Dublin to Donegal.

Nobody is offended by anyone going back to an ICE vehicle. That's just in your imagination. We might question the real reasons given to the OP by his colleagues, because they just don't stack based on what we are told. Maybe they just didn't like driving an EV. Maybe they like the smell of Petrol so much that they went back to ICE. We don't know, but I don't think anyone really gives a flying fcuk tbh.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

People are blue in the face telling people if they don't want an EV don't buy one. Especially don't buy one if you don't have home charging. Lots of scenarios I would buy a diesel all day long.

But yet people keep posting this false narrative.

They also keep posting scenarios that can absolutely can be done with an EV. But they have make daft complications that are ridiculous.

There certainly are scenarios where I'd buy a petrol or diesel.. But that's not what being posted..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mary and the rest of the country. Fact was only puny **** petrol cars were low co2 then. Diesels were the thing due to filters. Diesels as such are filthy, it's the filters. And I didnt want a diesel anyway. Diesels are sh1te. But they were the only reasonable, mass available normally classed car with a reasonable tax rate.

Anyway, fact remains they heavily 'disincentived' my perfectly good and rather nice petrol car. To a point where 1 or 2 years of tax exceeded its market value and any repair was therefore not viable. Thats not a disincentive thats 'made me do it'.

So instead they made me buy another car which is insane as most energy and resources go into the production of a car not into running it. And they called it a green policy. Idiocy is what I call it.

Now they're trying to pull the same sh1t with EV. And in ten years time we'll find out production and battery ressourcing exceed any potential green effect. This time they can fvck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭User1998

A Lexus RX was never €200 to tax. It went from €1800 to €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭teediddlyeye

There you go. €280

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-rx450h-hybrid-sport-low-mileage-beige-lea/37420985

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement

They really did make a balls out of it when it came to overhauling the motor tax rates and incentivising diesel. I just refused to be a part of it and never bought a diesel car. It was next to impossible to find a normal petrol car. Seeing the likes of a Toyota Yaris, or Mini Cooper diesel was ridiculous. 3 and 5 series BMWs which once had lovely petrol engines suddenly filled our roads with dirty diesel variants. The only diesels I found myself driving was when I had to rent cars on holidays. I stuck with older petrol cars pre-2008 and paid the higher tax. I figured it was cheaper than twice yearly DPF cleans, as my mileage was small and I didn't fancy doing a long run once a week just to burn off some soot.

I don't see EV as being the same though. Yes, the gov are encouraging it, but for me, the climate benefits are are local. EVs don't pollute the local air, even if they charge from a dirty grid. The next bit is cost of running. For a few years, I was charging my Leaf 80% of the time in Dublin City for free. Otherwise it was on cheap night rate electric and still is.

I'm not interested in the wider argument about carbon footprints anymore. It's a never ending circle jerk. My selfish interest is what driving an EV does for me. I don't want to know about mining and kids working the mines. If people really gave a shíte about that stuff, they wouldn't be wearing child labour runners that cost €200+ a pop. Why do I drive EV? Low running costs. Comfortable and fun to drive. Essentially no maintenance outside of rubber.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's it exactly, the reason I opened this thread was because the explanations given to me by my two colleagues didn't stack up, knowing their driving patterns and how little public charging they actually do - certainly not for what must have been easily a €20-30k hit each.

The question really was to explore the real motivation behind leaving the EV behind and perhaps understand what actually drives people back to diesel. If we have people saying "oh it's the charging network that I couldn't stand" but the reality was actually another reason, then policymakers will focus on fixing the wrong problems. My own feeling is that its an emotion driven decision largely. Certainly anger featured in my conversations.

The other reason was to somewhat dispel another myth - no one ever goes back to ICE. As we move into 242, I guess with the shrinking of EV sales we will start to see more reversions.

Something has gone wrong for the EV here, the question is what.

Your last sentence intrigues me the most. Out of all our contemporaries in northern Europe we're the only ones where sales of EV's are declining. What is going on?

With the new EU emissions law your two colleagues are likely to get badly burnt again in 3 or 4 years time when they come to trade their vehicles in.

Something has gone wrong for the EV here, the question is what.

The only thing I suspect has gone wrong is the lack of common sense. I'd be angry too if I made a thick of myself going back to my fat ex-girlfriend.

Spoiler - I don't have a fat ex

Stay Free

Did something similar kept my old petrols, until for various reasons I switched one to a diesel which had so many issues, I switched it to a EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

From looking through the EV forums, software glitches and delays in software updates are often mentioned, is this a factor in the decline of EV sales, particularly with so much touch screen control of functions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nobody is offended by anyone going back to an ICE vehicle

Yet someone here called the two people referenced in the OP as "morons".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not sure people outside EV owners even know that EVs get software updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

the company owner got the Etron? Give the last two guys the Audi and I am sure they will switch.

• Advertisement

If one person throwing out a mild generalised insult means all EV owners think the same, then the person(s) making that assumption has flawed thinking and reasoning abilities.

I wouldn't think they are morons. Just idiots 😂

Stay Free

Advertisement