Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US fast food chains. Should we have more options here?

• 12-07-2024 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I've never been to the US and I'm intrigued to try Wendy's when it arrives.

Some of you have been to the US and tried American fast food that's not available here so what would you recommend we should have available?

In-N-Out, Taco Bell, White Castle, Bojangles, Dairy Queen, Sonic, Arbys, Chipotle, Jack in the box, Popeyes, Chick-fil-A, Carl's Jr, Wingstop, Churchill Chicken?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Archeron

House of pancakes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

quantity V quality comes to mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

It's all junk food no matter what the name over the door.Can see lots of objections especially when they try to get sites near schools.Won't be wanting out of town sites like in yankee land

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭dclifford

I have been to 9 of the OPs list, some were probably even weekly for me when I lived in the states.

All junk food, we dont need any of them.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

They will never be able to match Irish chips, some of the burgers can be a bit better. If local chippers maybe improved some of their greasy muck a bit more then there would be no need for any foddiners coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

TBH Supermacs > Wendy's

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have tried most of those in the USA we really don't need them here at this stage tbh.

In-n-out is decent, bunsen is better imo.

Chipotle is pretty awful, boojum better (despite it not being as good as it used to be).

Chick-Fil-A is decent, but if you want battered chicken, chicken burgers etc Mad Egg is better than any of those kind chains I think.

One fast food chain that is quite good in the USA that has things that aren't as common here would be Culvers. They are known for their butter burgers, but they also do cheese curds and frozen custards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭uptherebels

And supermacs is poor. Never had Wendy's, but apparently I'm better for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

People pretending their “above” fast food. Snobs.

Nothing wrong with fast food. Damn tasty, feeding the masses and hugely in demand.

Parents simply need to parent a little better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I'd swap the rest for a cinnabon.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,556 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Most yank chains are awful, the less of them about the better.

Im in Paris for a few days, and surprised to see so many Starbucks here. Thankfully, they are nearly all empty, imagine choosing their sugary poo water over any of the 50000 other places you can get coffee in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Sponge25

I heard Wendys is almost inedible in the states. Plus, the food would taste different here than in the states due to our better laws regarding food. They put all sorts of sh!te into their food in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not as if as anyone is going to be forced to eat in them.

Let the best one win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Wendy's will just be another greasy burger joint, why would you want to try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Fair enough, but it's not like it's going to be some out of this world food.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭global23214124

I've tried Wendy's and don't remember it being particularly good. In-N-Out burger was pretty good when I tried it and panda express for quick Chinese food. In Utah all they seem to have is fast food restaurants because there are feck all bars. Arbys has great sandwiches actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Five Guys …….. great fries. Wendy's is coming shortly.

Last weekend I was in Applegreen, Paulstown and had a BurgerKing. Burger (2 patties of meat), salad toppimg, Tea and Fries for less that 7 yoyos. Fantastic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Traditional Irish chippers have gone to the dogs lately. So yeah more competition would be great. Oh and you don't need to eat it everyday or at all if you don't want too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Was just in Spain and they have carls jnr there. In UK we have Wendy's, wingstop and taco bell.

Taco bell I thought would be a great extra choice.. But it's just same same and if I want Mexican, an actual Mexican restaurant is better, hence I've been once in 2yrs and it's like a 10m walk away. Wingstop does good chicken so I'll give them a pass alright. But they expensive.

The rest.... Meh.... We don't need them

• Advertisement

I know that. I'm more interested in how it compares to the likes of McDonald's or BK as Wendy's is over 50 years in Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Been to a lot of em.

Chick fil a

IHOP

Wendys

Denny's

Panda Express

White castle

Steak and shake

Popeyes

Burger king and McDonald's

Checkers

Taco bell but only once.

It's all trash.

I'm a fan of chipotle and Qdoba though, burrito places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I was in Montenegro last year, fun fact , the country has not a single international fast food chain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see the killjoys have arrived…

I've actually had a hankering for a Big Mac Meal recently, and it must be going on 20 years since I've had one.

The odd kebab or Hillbilly's are more my thing.

What's the Cajun style fast food joint, they have it in UK, Popeye's I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You haven't had a big Mac in 20 years and we are killjoys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Now that Supermacs is no longer trying to compete on price with McDonalds and Burger King and the like I’ve found the quality has improved, and I’d far rather visit one of them as a treat over the others. The burger is tasty and cooked fresh, the chicken tenders are lovely, and the garlic and cheese chips are pretty good.

The decline of the local chipper over the past 20 years has been stark. The Italians made their money and got out. It’s now all terrible stuff coming pre-battered and chipped from the back of a truck.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I all for more options if people want them, but would their food offerings here, taste the same as the US versions?

I have an American friend who came for a visit and said McDonalds here tastes nothing like it does in the US.

I've never had McDs in the US, so I don't know.

• Advertisement

I’d been hearing about KC’s for years on this site. Made a detour there last year and ordered the King Creole. I was pretty disappointed tbh. Still far better than the absolute horrors my MiL serves up.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

You need to get a big Mac meal and report back if it tastes the same as you remember.

For research purposes.

Its a chicken kebab in a pita from a plastic packet, there's a ceiling, that pita is a sign of poor quality

Youd made better at home than any of these places

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I'm gradually going off fast food. Not because it's junk (which it is, but thats why we go) but because it's no longer fast !

Ya used to be in and out and stuffing your face in under 5 mins. With no time for guilt or regret to set in.

Now its 5 mins faffing about with the giant ipads and another 10 waiting for your number to be called.

I do like Bunsen though. Decent burgers and the best sweet potato fries I've ever tasted, and because of the limited menu it's served up to your table double lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭nachouser

Slightly off topic, but The Founder is up on Netflix now. It's about how McDonalds got started. It's really good.

• Advertisement

A Big Mac meal is now 9.50 or something, often comes out cold, and you are hungry an hour later. For a few quid extra you can get a gourmet sandwich or burrito with a drink. They just aren’t as appealing as they once were.

And no longer fast either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭rje66

With the growth of irish waistbands in recent years do we really need more fast food outlets...…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's in for an awful let down.

I was never a big fan of a Big Mac but downloaded the app some time back because the youngest lad lives near to a branch and is fond of the chicken nuggets. The first Big Mac I had in decades had me scratching my head wondering wtf attracts people to them.

You can get a Big Mac and medium fries for 3.90 if you fill out the survey and write the code on the back of any receipt and to be honest that's about what they are worth, the patties aren't even related to real beef and the bun and lettuce are woeful.

Thankfully there are a few chinese takeaways near him too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've tried most of them, in the US they are all pretty terrible by Europe standard. The ones that have made it out of the States usually taste better than in their home market and about the same as most of the European fast foods.

You're not wrong there. But every now and then it's a decent treat before/after the cinema.

If it's value you're looking for the KFC gravy mega box is a steal. One piece of chicken (ask for a rib or thigh), one mini fillet and two hot wings plus chips and gravy for 8 euro is hard to beat. You get way more chips fecked into the box than a normal meal deal portion too. I've usually got a bottle of coke in the fridge so the lack of drink isn't a big deal.

• Advertisement

just to comment on " Fast " food. Everything is cooked to order now.

in the late 1990s I worked in McDonalds and we used make the burgers in groups of 6 and stack them in the area that kept them warm, there used to be metal spacers added with numbers them in either red or yellow that matched a clock on the wall. I'm sure it was 10 min Increments. Anything over 10min was counted and binned.

Fries we're also on the go.

It ment that the person on the till simply turned around and grabbed the burgers,fries and drink and you had your food in less then a min.

Only Filet o fish was fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That sounds like good value, their gravy is beautiful. The only time I get KFC is maybe twice a year in Manchester airport.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I absolutely will! With chicken nuggets and curry sauce. 😋

Do you think any would improve with Irish Beef and less chemical ingredients.

Take for example White Castle Sliders?

Not a fan of big macs myself, I only go to McDs for the coffee… and the wraps of the day are okay.

I used to like the burgers in Eddie Rockets, but haven't had one in years. No need to now I can buy their sauces in Dunnes!

You can add a drink to the gravy mega-box for a euro. My daughter is fond of KFC.

I'm not a huge fan of Pepsi anyway. But good to know!

Dr Pepper all the way ! Best burps a-going! 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Wendys burger and fries better than McDonalds -

Shake shack in NYC is decent, maybe the experience of eating in the city, In and out pretty ok

I tried Five Guys in Liffey Valley last year, the Fries we're lovely and the portion pretty big but the burger was meh.

I can understand why. Food waste and profit margins like. It does make sense. I think the menus are too varied though. Keep it simple and quick.

Fun fact. My home town of Woolwich was the first place in the UK to get a McDonalds in 1974. It would be the equivalent of Taco Bell opening its first restaurant in Dolphins Barn 😆

• Advertisement
Advertisement