Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ciara Mageean and Rhasidat on the startlists for Monaco Diamond League tomorrow night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Diamond League startlists for Monaco

https://monaco.diamondleague.com/en/programme-resultats-monaco-en/#baseFrame%23__athSchedule%23ScheduleInit%23Monaco_2024_CURRENTEVENT_JSON

Will be interested to see how Ciara Mageean gets on over the rather odd 2000m distance, and to see whether Paris was just a bad race or a sign of poor form.

Very intrigued to see what Adeleke will do in the 400m, think she might be looking to lay down a marker before the Olympics.

The men's 400m hurdles could be incredible if all three of Warholm, Benjamin and Dos Santos take to the start line, but fully expect one will pull out with 'injury' before tomorrow's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Not aimed at you, but it isn’t it mad that we are categorizing a 3.58 1500m as a poor race, symptomatic of bad form. 3.58 was Sonia O’Sullivan’s Irish record for 27 years. These days, all it gets you is a back-of-the-pack position in a diamond league race. Shows how much the event has moved on. It feels like 3.56 / 3.57 is becoming the new benchmark of legitimate world class.

I also can’t wait for the men’s 400m hurdles tonight. Should be fireworks.

The big three are all still listed in the 400m hurdles tonight, so seems it'll likely be happening. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the world record could possibly go down? Fast track with all three to push each other, I don't think it's out of the question. If not that then a low 46 perhaps.

Speaking of world records, Jessica Hull is gonna make an attempt on the 2000m record. Fair play to her, may as well as she's in the form of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Anyone know if the Diamond League is available on any TV channel?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Fabulous run from Rhasidat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

she is amazing, even more excited for the Olympics now

• Advertisement

First ever DL win, not far off her PB, brilliant. Sub 49 won't be long coming 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looking good for Paris - that was a very fast time.

Sedjati is very firmly the Olympic favourite now. Whether or not he'd eventually get to keep the medal is another question 🙂

World Record for Jessica Hull! Wow!!

Ciara Mageean tried going with the pace and faded badly, 10th in 5:43 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So bizarre. 2-3 of the leading pack just pulled out on the penultimate lap and the commentators just completely ignored it. It was almost like they were just there as wind-breakers for Hull.

Something about this championship (being so close to the Olympics) that just seems a bit off….

So bizarre. 2-3 of the leading pack just pulled out on the penultimate lap and the commentators just completely ignored it. It was almost like they were just there as wind-breakers for Hull.

They were pacemakers 🙂 Their job is to drag Hull to as fast a time as they could. They were supposed to pull out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

…are you referring to the pacemakers? Martín and Guerrero?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What's happened to Mageean's form…..illness, injury? It's only four weeks or since the European Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You don't watch a lot of athletics outside of the Championships clearly. 😂

Mageean is miles off where she needs to be at this point. Something must have gone wrong in the last few weeks, but the improvement in standards in the event from many others means she was unlikely to contend in any case. On current form she won't make the final, or possibly even be the top Irish athlete in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It may be as simple as she's not targetting these races. She could be in the middle of an intense few weeks of heavy load, and the races are simply to keep her sharp, without being concerned about times/placing (or conceivably to fulfil contracts). She decided to peak for the Europeans and the Olympics, and everything else is just part of the training, and she considers it all part of the plan.

Or she's injured, or she's unwell, or the Europeans were a peak that couldn't be maintained, or, or, or… We're really not going to know until the Olympics rolls round, barring she comes out with some explicit statement

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

3:26.73 for Ingebrigtsen, he's got to go for the World Record some day. Will go to Paris as the favourite, but I still think he's beatable. We know he can run fast in these kind of races but struggles when he has to do the work himself. We'll see in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Am I mistaken in thinking she said she trained through the European championships. (might be getting her mixed up with someone else.)

What a run from Jakob... Looks like his back in shape again. Great runs behind him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Hopefully it's that she's in the middle of heavy training.She had a smile on her face when she congratulated Hull if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ceepo

From Athletics Ireland FB page

💥 𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐒 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒 𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐔𝟐𝟑 𝟓𝟎𝟎𝟎𝐌 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 💥

Nick Griggs (Candour Track Club) has broken the Irish U23 5000m record clocking 13:13.07 at the Morton Games in Santry 🤩

The 19-year-old from Tyrone moves to sixth on the Irish senior all-time list 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liamooooo

That's a stunning run. Fastest run by a European 19 year old I'd say outside of Jacob. His 3000 metres time from Cork earlier in the week was also outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I hope so too, but there’s no denying that was a very poor run. I have my fingers crossed she is simply timing a peak for Paris. My expectations are low right now though.

Excellent run by Adeleke. The only slight concern was Klaver being relatively close. Paulino and Kaczmarek are way, way better than Klaver. It will take sub 49 to medal in Paris.

Feels like Griggs has been around for a while now that I forget he's only 19. Great future ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liamooooo

His season has been excellent but really gone under the radar. If he was born 2 weeks later he would be still in the under 20 age category this season and outside of laros the Dutch lad there are not any other 19 year old Europeans putting up these consistent all time leading European times at 1500, 3000 and 5000 for this age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

And 0.47 is a long way for Rhasidat to be ahead of Klaver at her best in a competitive 400m!

Advertisement