Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭teediddlyeye

From a purely aesthetic point of view. The 1863 Confederate Navy Jack is one hell of a class looking flag.

Shame.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Go on so share a bathroom so with 5 others in a shared house..where no one wants to clean the bathroom. UUgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I use my ensuite for storage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At least they won something in 66.

We never shut up about Italia 90, where we won... nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Sponge25

If there is one thing I have in abundance it's empathy. Ofcourse there needs to be a strong focus on rehabilitation (hence me saying there ought to be a scheme where one can earn there way back into good standing as a fellow citizen by being conviction free and of maintaining a good character for say 3-5 years. There's a huge problem (especially in countries like America) were felons who truly want to and make a good faith effort to go straight can't because of their convictions, this is why I suggested some sort of a scheme to seal a persons records after they have proven themselves reformed by maintaining a good character for certain period, this way potential employers won't know about their past (some crimes would be exempt from the scheme such as sex offenders and other paticularly heinous crimes as it doesn't serve the common good to allow these types to have their convictions sealed). Here's the thing, i'm not talking about what were once termed 'ordinary decent criminals', i'm talking about the scum of the Earth who have commit extremely heinous crimes over and over again and have sometimes have hundreds of convictions yet get extremely lenient sentences over and over again. I remember reading about an animal who raped his daughter for over 13 years and he got about 18 months, is this what you advocate? I advocate appropriate sentencing. One more thing life should mean an entire natural life sentence, if a judge doesn't think that's appropriate he can give a more appropriate sentence. Heinous crimes deserve harsh sentence, do you not agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I agree with this, a person's record should be wiped after ten years if they don't reoffend, now im excluding very serious crimes like murder , man slaughter, rape, armed robbery or serious assault

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never argue with someone who claims to know all about iislamic countries despite never having been in one

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

But Irish people have always supported English clubs - even when those teams had a lot more domestic (i.e. UK) players in their line-ups. The clubs are based in England and draw loads of support from the local areas so in my opinion, they are English clubs. The media angle is inevitable as we consume loads of it. Having said that, there wasn't overkill when they won the rugby World Cup in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rugby is a niche sport, nowhere near the same level of coverage as football.

If England win at the weekend, it will be multiples times the coverage of England winning a rugby world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I realise that but I was referring to what the person I responded to said, about the current set-up and the upcoming season. And the comment about local (English) people supporting their local clubs isn't always true as you'll often have people from all parts of England supporting the successful clubs. That wasn't a thing that happened much in the (distant) past, but seems to have developed since the creation of the Premier League.

And as NIMAN said, rugby is a niche sport, only played seriously by a handful of countries, especially compared to football which is everywhere.

• Advertisement

If England do win it, power to them. I'd be disappointed if they didn't ho a bit crazy with the celebrations - who wouldn't? Remember Atgentina when they won the world cup? Ireland when we made the quarters in 1990? People were painting their houses for heavens sake!

I think a lot of this is just confirmation bias. People hate England and always have done, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

My point enriely - how would you know what's true?

Anyway never said anything about prejudice, it was the ignorance of the act I was commenting on.

But as someone who's been to the Middle East four tines covering six different states, I'm not going to debate with someone who gets their info from... wherever you get it, and thinks its 'true'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Anti-England one that gets me is "You'd never here the end of it!!!!!!".

You would sware if we won a major tournament we would have a hooly for one weekend and let that be that. We're still dining out on Italia 90 and USA 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You read all I wrote, didn't engage with it, and then compliment yourself on your abundance of empathy (along eith your heightened sense of justice).

Why on earth did you ask me if I agree with an 18 month sentence for a rapist as if it had anything to do with what I said?

I think prison sentences for people with severe mental illness is a waste of money. Likewise for drug addicts. I said what should be done with those criminals in dn earlier post. You didn't engage with it then so there's no point repeating it.

All that aside, I'm dying to hear what you classify as an 'ordinary decent criminal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

The one thing that USA does well is realise that soccer is a sport for little girls to play.

So does Ireland. So does England. So does Brazil. In fact most Fifa members do.

My original comment had nothing to do with people offending because of mental illness or drug addiction etc. it was about heinous crimes, right from the start. An ordinary decent criminal is an archaic working class term for someone who commits acceptable crimes within their social class. (Stealing food to feed your family etc.) crimes borne out of absolute necessity and poverty. They were usually people of otherwise good character and were often protected by their peers from law enforcement. The kind of people who grew up in terrible poverty, that sort of thing. I'm just angry and rightfully so with the extremely lax sentences for people who ought to have been put under the prison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

We need to build more prisons and start handing out longer sentences. Not going ahead with Thornton Hall was a mistake.

And anyone who organises crime (gang leader etc) should be barred from speaking to anyone for the whole of their sentence except prison staff, counsellors, tutors etc.

I think we just need to be more dekectivecwho we send to jail. The guy who gets drunk kills soneone in a fight and gets a suspended sentence should take the cell of the guy who got caught selling weed.

Agree with your second paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Pit Bulls and XL Bully dogs are not suitable for use as pets, nor were they ever intended to be in the first place.

I don't care who has one of these inherently psychotic, inbred abominations and it's apparently the cutest, sweetest doggy and it means the world to you. If it comes onto my property or runs at me in public, I will neutralize the threat by whatever means possible, and not for the first time…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

And yet it's the most popular in the world 🤔

Agree with this. Dogs who instigate attacks deserve a bullet in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I actually wouldn't mind at all if England win the UEFA 2024 final. The anti-English sentiment lingering in this country is pretty immature and churlish at this stage.

1966 was 58 years ago now - two generations and a very long time ago - and with the economic sh*tshow Britain has become since Brexit and just ending 15 long years of the Nasty Party, the English need a major morale boost to pull them collectively out of the doldrums not unlike our own glory moments in Italia 1990 which did likewise.

I agree. I was called a West Brit for saying I had respect for the lifelong service the Queen rendered to her nation.

Blur were better than Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Blur had better albums but Oasis' B-sides were of a much higher standard.

Advertisement