Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless Drill/Screwdriver Recommendation

Options
  • 12-07-2024 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Firstly, my DIY skills are shocking so I’m not to clued up on different tools etc.

Having recently moved into own house there is definitely a few things where I have needed to use a screwdriver and stuff. When it comes to getting pictures hung for example, I would defer to paying a professional or get a family member who is good at DIY - purely because I will more than likely make a balls of hanging a picture and even understanding is there wires behind the wall that I need to be aware of etc. my head would be frazzled.

Howvever, I think some sort of drill screwdriver that can screw in screws super quick rather than me manually screwing them all would be helpful. I believe cordless drills can also help with drilling holes on top of screwing screws in, while I don’t envisage trusting myself to drill holes in the wall there is probably no harm in having it perform this function for the day I do try to get better at DIY.

Is there a particular cordless drill/screwdriver set with various heads that someone could point me in the right direction of? Looking at the hardware websites has me more confused.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The things to look for on a screw gun is torque and battery size.

If you see different ones that are made by the same company & look alike but have very different prices then the difference will be most likely torque, battery size or the amount of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Cheapest is not the way to go. Go to Screwfix site, look for some of the mid range cordless drills from dewalt, bosch, makita. Hitachi etc ,you won't go far wrong. Look at what you're buying as a lot don't include battery and charger so prices can seem different! For amateur diy these will last a lifetime.

Keep us posted

5ah battery will suit you

2ah more than useless.....

First item, drill is good, batteries only ok. But if ur doing light DIY then will be ok.

Second item yes, good buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Have that DeWalt drill its a good one for DIY and will take a lot of abuse. I have 4 and 5Amp batteries but for occasional DIY use the 2Amp batteries are more than good enough.

I'm not that keen on any 100 Piece drill bit sets as you don't use 90% of them and the ones you do use will get broken making the set useless. Just get a cheap set of masonry drills and jobber (metal work) drills in Aldi or Lidl when they have them normally 5-6 euro a set. Don't bother with wood drills use the drills for metal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

If your not good at diy,youtube is very good for most things. Most home diy jobs are easy, it's just the knowledge of doing it that's missing. Think learning to ride a bike.....it's like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can't go wrong with any of the drills/screwguns in Lidl or Aldi. The batteries are compatible with a huge range of DIY tools and they are reliable, tough and comfortable to use. It's the 3 year warranty that is the real advantage though.

I was making a new table base for a slab of granite a few weeks ago and had all the 4x4 pieces of larch ready to assemble using 200mm coach screws. The Ferrex Impact driver coped well up until the 14th screw and then just died. I checked the battery in another Ferrex tool and there was still life in it. I found the receipt which was a couple of months older than 3 years. I contacted the German company that stand over the warranty and explained the situation with a couple of pictures attached to the email. They were back to me the next day apologising and looking for my bank account details as they no longer make the model I had bought. The full cost I paid over 3 years earlier (25 euro) was refunded into my account within a week.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Don't be listening to this.

If you're only drilling the odd few holes and hanging shelves then you'll be fine with drills from Aldi and Lidl. They're more than good enough for odd jobs.

The notion that a DIYer needs a 5Ah battery is a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We would be probably heavier than average DIY users of tools (installed our kitchen, built a hen house etc) We have a selection of Worx drills, an impact, a hammer action, and two regular drills (one of which must be over 10 years old, the gearing on it is a bit gone, but still works fine in full power). Worx are a step below the likes of Makitia and dewalt I would think and they have served us fine!

We have a decent few batteries for these now, but some of them are 1.5Ah that came with the drill that is 10 years old and they are still fine, definitely wouldn't need more than 2Ah for the work the op is describing. Anything bigger is just making the drill heavier for no reason.

I also think Lidl and aldi tools would be the way to go. We have a selection of them for less used tools and they seem fine. We have a sander, a multi-tool and an angle grinder from Aldi and a jigsaw and circular saw from Lidl. All do the job ok for us. 3 year warranty is nice too.

We have an impact driver from Aldi too that I bought for €10 on offer, and its definitely not as good as the worx one, but it cost literally 1/8th of the price and does the job when needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement