Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Wouldn't agree with what, that many drivers treat the first 5 seconds of a red light as amber?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Funny thing about cycling lanes, and I see it often, is that one cyclist doesn't like the speed others are going at or it just gets too full for their liking and they go into the bus lane or regular car lanes. And hundreds of commuters can follow their ass for the next 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Probably more like 2 minutes, until the next traffic light, and the car gets held up there anyway, while the cyclist just carries on with their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This scenario doesn't ever happen in Dublin never mind on the route this thread is discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

You just accepted that cyclists don't follow lights, they'll just ram through a red like it's nobodys business and every road user and pedestrian has to dodge them for dear life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I agree it's nothing like what it could have been… But there are extra crossings to be put in place. You can see the locations from the park side, but they are closed off until the building side is ready.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Do not post off-topic again and read the Commuting and Transport charter before posting again.

— moderator

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I past yesterday evening, loads of work and staff working around this junction. They were hoisting big traffic light poles that took up two lanes of traffic into place. It looks like they are finishing off this junction and getting ready to open it. Keep in mind the pedestrian crossings, etc. are to change from what has previously been there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I only got a quick look at this area this morning, but I'm going to say no. However, it could be the "penultimate" surfacing work, which you can see in many other areas along the route. Take a look at some of the parking bays, manhole covers, drains, or junctions, where you'll see a very good looking road surface, but it's about an inch or two lower than where it needs to be.

The drains are probably the best example of this, are you can see that they have protectors hanging from the top to stop large debris from entering the drain, but they're completely useless at the moment due to the fact that the final layer has not yet been applied, meaning that there's a huge gap right under the protectors.

My reward for taking the bike to town in this weather, there were 2 more after this inside the old wall too ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Unbelievable, well actually it is believable

They could easily have pulled into the street beside cusacks too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

A single bollard at the start of the old wall would put a stop to that. I'm surprised it wasn't done as part of this project.

Not that it would matter, they'd just park on the cycle lane before the bollard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Is it time to start sending any of these photos to some person or department in DCC (preferably with the licence plate) for action? I know they'll probably just ignore them but if they were getting them all the time at least it would make a point.

Streets look a lot nicer if there aren't endless rows of bollards on them but if the result of that is that cycle lanes are rendered unusable because of idiots like this then the whole purpose of segregration becomes pointless. There's been a lot of money and time spent on this link (irrespective of people's feelings about it) and it's wasted if there isn't a change in attitudes.

I say this as a complete non-cyclist so no agenda here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure what DCC can do to stop it currently unless they put in physical barriers (which, on the whole, I would be against) - it really needs enforcement by AGS but this would be way down their list of priorities so they've no interest in policing footpath or cycle lane parking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Put it under the remit of Parking Enforcement?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We have the worst of both worlds at the moment, there is sufficient physical barrier to stop cyclists entering the roadway, but it is not enough to stop vehicles entering the cycleway.

Obviously massive enforcement is the only issue, but it is entirely a leadership issue why it is not done. It would be revenue positive to have Guards enforcing this **** for a few months, it is a deliberate choice to not do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Probably the best bet on this would be your local councillor, to be honest. Donna Cooney, the new deputy mayor would be all over this stuff like a shot, pretty sure that she uses it in the morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do DCC still have traffic wardens and can they deal with a parking issue like this if it is reported to the council (i.e. before the driver moves away*). My understanding is that most parking enforcement relates to overstaying your ticket and is dealt with by Dublin Street Parking Services (DSPS) who presumably don't have a remit to tackle footpath or cycle lane issues?

* can they issue a ticket based on a photo received from the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You complain to the council and the council direct you the gardaí. The Gardaí then direct you back to the council.

The Irish state has built a, dare I say very impressive, Web of responsibility loops. Nobody is actually responsible for anything through a complex set of arrangements that pushes problems around until the complainant disappears.

If you are forceful enough you'll get the privilege of going to a garda station to give a statement which will be hand written on paper, signed by you, and then promptly discarded. I have found the garda with the pen is the 'final boss' of complaining about how horrific rule enforcement is. If you feel you weren't listened to you can contact the ombudsman but then they'll only send you back to loop 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've raised issues with Donna before, and it's best to send her an email. Another two would be Naoise Ó Muirí and a newly elected young guy, Barry Heneghan. Barry seems to be pro cycling, and is from Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Best of luck with that, that truck would be like a ship in the Panama Canal going down there. Plus, the garage usually has all the spots taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I always laugh to myself when motorists complain about ugly traffic bollards and wands, and blame their existence on cyclists

No you ignorant tool, if you would stop driving/parking in cycle lanes, they wouldn't be required.

All that sitting behind a wheel going nowhere must seriously dim the brain.

They released the report, and it's as hilarious as I knew it was going to be.

Good break down of it here, where he points it that they based all their figures in a survey of people in Henry Street and Grafton Street, the two biggest shopping streets in the city, and used that to extrapolate their results. Apparently 55% of people going into the city are going to shop, FFS, such an elementary error that I knew they'd make.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very good. How are businesses supposed to get deliveries done?

These bike lanes are just going to have constant blockages and will be partially removed eventually to accommodate business who's suppliers have no choice.

There is a bit of a reality check coming once the Greens are gone after the election I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stop in the road. Or use one of the many, many loading bays and parking facilities that exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

How about they just stop in the middle of the private car lane and unload there? Sure "they'll only be a second", and sure can't other cars can just wait politely for a clearance in the oncoming traffic to overtake.....

....it's amazing people don't see the arrogance and privilege, that they couldn't possibly imagine stopping in the car lane, but it's totally fine to impede cyclists and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You can go around them. It's not hard. Cyclists seem to think they have privileges they don't have. Start paying the same in cycle tax as motorists pay in motor tax then we'll chat.

Until then I'll play the world's smallest violin

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Oh great!! You already own a tiny violin. Keep playing it there until the cycle lanes are all dug up. Any day now for sure 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Update on C2CC: (Clontarf to City Centre) Most of work will be finished in Sept. And traffic restrictions will end in Sept. Should see a lot of progress in next few weeks as they have night shifts from 12 to 4 most nights. But section along Marino Mart from junction at Joeys to Malahide Rd junction has thrown up problems with utilities underground. This section won’t be finished until October. 2 pedestrian crossings will be installed. One near Cadogan Rd & one at Marino Mart at driving school. Boulders in front of park near bus stop are temporary and will be replaced by railings.

Advertisement