Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

We're not tbh, we're buying whatever tale they weave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

What are you even talking about? 😂

You continually ask the same set of questions to me and multiple others, you have continually been given answers by me and multiple others. For some reason you then ask the same questions again and demand the answers again…. but by all means keep circling that drain… anyway, your entire argument is slowly slipping into chaos.

To sum up your recent suggestions:

1. Ireland is a disgraceful country, somehow its our fault people are choosing to cross the med in boats and some are subsequently dying.
    2. We should ignore all current laws and transport a seemingly unlimited number of people here either by boat or plane to process their supposed asylum claim.
    3. We are not to deport anyone because its hard and we might offend someone and it will leave us divided.
    4. We are and I quote "outsourcing our deterrent policies to criminal gangs"
    5. Do not worry, all of this will resolved at some imaginary point in the future where we all come together and eradicate poverty in the global south.

I am actually nearly lost for words at this stage - the utter stupidity of the above cannot be understated, what makes it worse is that you cant even see it - its a purely emotional response devoid of any logic.

If your goal was to have everyone here laughing at you, I think it is safe to say you achieved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So you still can't stand over what you're suggesting?

How are we going to have these 'mass deportations'? According to you they're absolutely vital but yet again you can't give the first indication of how they might work, when no other country has been able to achieve anything like this.

This just typifies the populist anti-immigration approach.

You scream 'open-borders' when anyone challenges your approaches, yet you've no defense for how your own failed solutions have achieved nothing but to waste hundreds of billions, leave tens of thousands dead, and leave so many other women and children raped and exploited.

I think the tide is turning. I think decent people have had enough of this. There is a conversation to be had around immigration, but one which won't be dictated by those demanding we carry on with this cruel, failed, horror show.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Saw another Tent on Sandymount Beach this morning , red line crossed ;-) , luckily I have an early routine , I dont mind making inquiries at 5AM , 6AM or 7AM , if whoever is there wants a night's sleep they better move on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

If you are just going to ignore the contents of the response - why do you keep responding? Clearly the level of conversation is beyond you.

You are just rambling at this point. Yes the tide is turning, thankfully away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yeah. It's a gotcha. You claimed you never said Ferries should be funded by the Irish government to go out and collect people. I'm showing you, you said it. I remembered seeing it and thinking it was such an outrageous suggestion that I couldn't bring myself to respond.

You believe we should be actively going out and collecting as many asylum seekers as possible from safe countries and bringing them back here via Ferries and planes, then giving them housing and all manner of "wrap-around" services. And you have the gall to talk about what's realistic.

Wouldn't surprise me with this government though. I'm just waiting for Stena Line's fleet to be taken off the tourism market and be leased by the government so they can sail around Europe collecting people to bring back to Ireland and set up in tents along the canal. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Quags

I think they have setup around there before, I refuse to believe they are finding these locations themselves. What I think happens is those pesky far right people attack the people in the camp as the police nor government try move the campsites on and then all of sudden the media and far left people (who I may add, dont seem to offer up their houses or gardens for these tents) kick of saying its disgraceful how these people are treated and everyone is racist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

unless the bushes started coughing I have "heard" another one a few months back but they stay behind a path and they are never visible so it comes under the category of dont see/ dont care. But plonking a tent in view of everyone is too much. Basically there is a school and a playground 50mtrs either side.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep probably. I believe she had Frances Fitzgerald as a supporter and that is what made Harris keep her in position. As we know Harris was Fitzgeralds teaboy. Still having such an incompetent Justice minister like McEntee has taken a lot of the blame away from O'Gorman and allowed him to hide away.

I said people should be allowed use existing ferries. Then have their claims processed when they arrive safely.

This whole thing about government funded ferries picking people up is entirely a figment of your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

What do you mean by existing ferries though? Ferries that are on the way to Europe already and should offer people a lift?

People should be allowed use "existing" ferries, eh!?

Please explain your masterplan further.

Is it that you want mainstream ferry companies to actively encourage people to get on ferries without passports?

Where do we collect them from exactly? Who pays for it? How many people? Until their claims are processed, then what? Ferry them back if they're rejected?

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They can use existing ferries, similar to how they use an airplane, they buy a ticket and get on the ferry or is that you want them to be able to rock up to the Ferry terminal and say "I am looking to go to Ireland is alright if I jump on there, I have no ticket and my passport was eaten by my dog" and the Ferry company say "ah sure hop on there".

Being from outside the EU, or the UK, they'd need a visa to get on ferry.

Yep, there is both a primary school and secondary school there.

Irish Sea be full of passports of those who have them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,701 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hard to spin a nearly 100% increase in asylum seekers arriving in the first 6 months other than "word's out, soft touch"

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/07/12/number-of-asylum-seekers-coming-to-ireland-rises-94-in-six-month-period/

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The greens are pushing it from an idealogical standpoint and the other parties are going along as there is huge money to be made for charities/private businesses helping to cope with fall out from said policies.

Depends which non-EU country they're from. Not all non-EU nationals require visas before boarding. Brazilians don't for example. Indians do. Pakistanis do. Nigerians do. US citizens don't.

But just to get this straight; you're suggesting that we eliminate pre-authorised visitor visa requirements for all countries where such requirements do exist?

e.g. do you want to remove visitor visa requirements for Bolivians? Because would cause a massive influx of Bolivians arriving as "tourists" but overstaying their visas and living here illegally or using Ireland as a back door to live illegally in Europe as happened before. Is this OK? Or are we just eliminating visitor visas for African countries like Nigeria and South Africa to facilitate the movement of asylum seekers from there? Should we remove visitor visa requirements for El Salvador and such? How do we decide which ones to remove if everyone in the world is entitled to claim asylum?

While we're at it, do you also think that people from anywhere in the world should be able to rock up to any port and state they're heading to Ireland to seek asylum and then the airline/ferry company should waive all fees and let them board the flight (or bill the IRish government?) . After all, cost is going to inhibit travel too - who's funding this mass influx of asylum seekers (both genuine and not genuine) and how easy should we make it for them?

Tell us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,701 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Pheonix Park is definitely not as safe a place for this as near the Grand Canal. Whoever is giving them the tents I would assume has advised them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/07/12/asylum-seekers-set-up-new-camp-in-phoenix-park-following-charlemont-clearance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,262 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes NGOs are telling them where to go to get the most attention and speed up the process of accommodation

Post edited by Headshot on

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LongfordMB

Why would centres be closed, given their desperate search for accomodation? Presumably either an owner can't be bribed to renew a contract or there is horrific crime going on that has been hushed up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Plenty of space there though and some prestigious lodgings in the park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭babyducklings1

Good post, sensible policies needed. with the best will in the world we can’t cope with unlimited numbers of people We are a very small island. This stuff should just be common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Does anyone know how the disicion is made as to who gets to stay, is it the staff in the IPO that deside?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you read the Irish papers, Simon Harris seems to think Keir Starmer is going to be the anti-immigration hawk who will put a stop to the asylum problem for us. It's funny how all the politicians seem to think that it's someone else who's going to solve our problems for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This whole thing about government funded ferries picking people up is entirely a figment of your imagination.

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1810288792101601512

The day after Labour were elected, the UK Border Force brought these lads in on a boat (twitter link is borked on this site for some reason).

These ones came shortly before that (providing this because boards.ie can seemingly no longer link to Twitter anymore).

This is a video from Sky News just a few days ago which has video footage of the UK Border Force ferrying migrants to the UK. The exact thing that you claim to refute as a figment of the imagination.

People try to be constructive in their engagements with you, but the outrageous lies and disinformation that spill out of your mouth never seems to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭prunudo

I know it's short notice but there's anti Mirgrant Pact protest march in Dublin today from garden of remembrance at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

There's also a counter protest in the same location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Juran

Exactly. Japan is not a prefered destination for IPAs or AS or illegal migrants as they know well they wont get a free ride like the gobeens in Europe give them. They wont get past the airport without a passport either.

Advertisement