Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

222 a ghost story

Options
  • 10-07-2024 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

sorry mods this is probably in the wrong place but has anyone gone to see this play in the Olympia yet? They were talking about it on today fm earlier! Would it be suitable for a 12 year old? Thanks 😊

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's Agatha Christie with ghosts, fun, enjoyable, few f bombs but if the Olympia are ok with it, it's not going to cause nightmares or sleepless nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Definitely suitable for 12 year olds but adult enough to make them feel hip. And a twist they won't see coming.

I saw the West End version a few months ago, Cheryl Cole played Jenny. The cast were uniformly excellent, and Cheryl, surprisingly, had a grounding and magnetic stage presence.

I enjoyed the Dublin version, but the two girls playing Jenny and Lauren (Laura Whitmore) being passable were mechanical in delivery and intent. And the two lads were simply appalling.

Good craic but any West End version will beat the Olympia version hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 suzy_2005ie

I wouldn’t pay to see anything Laura Whitmore is in. She’s a horrible person. I’ve met tons of celebrities over the years and she is the only one who was very rude for no good reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I enjoyed the Dublin version, but the two girls playing Jenny and Lauren (Laura Whitmore) being passable were mechanical in delivery and intent. And the two lads were simply appalling.

Good craic but any West End version will beat the Olympia version hands down. 

Laura Whitmore was in the London production for a while too. I remember seeing posters at the time, in London. It was her West End debut, apparently.

She played the support female lead but to be fair her part is huge, it's not a cameo. A lot of dialogue to memorize. The girl in the UK version played the part quite low key and brooding. Whitmore was noisier and barked the lines out without much nuance but for a first acting run (and particularly if you hadn't seen the show before) was overall good enough.

One of my mates told me the girl in the lead was in East Enders?

The two boys in the roles of Sam and Ben were sub Fair City and I haven't a clue how they were cast .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's probably the same part as she (LW) played in the West End production. I can't imagine her being much of an actress alright.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

went to this yesterday, highly enjoyable.

the acting was ok (it was a theater show after all) The understudy for the main female character (Jenny) was the star in my opinion, im not sure of her name.

the audible gasps in the show at the twist were revealing of a well written show, even if others had suspected it beforehand.

It's good craic alright, with a lot going on under the surface. Though I reckon much older audiences would get the twist quickly. Has a lot in common with the end of a classic play called....aaargh I won't spoil it.

Advertisement