Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I've no issue with a defender trying to block a shot with their legs but in this case the defender got nothing on the ball. Completely different if he had actually blocked the ball!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The pen was given due to use of the slow motion consideration. I do think a ref should have to watch in normal time a couple of times first before making a decision.

Once it was viewed slowly it appears that the defender made a bad effort to block a ball, using a raised foot, studs showing, downward motion strike and jumped into the tackle.

Viewed in normal time it looks a bit dodgy but nowhere near as bad and why the ref would not have awarded a pen.

If the defender turns sideways to block it with his leg and body, he probably would have blocked it and had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

They have just announced French referee Letexier is getting the final, his 4th game at the Euros, as ref, and he's had Spain already.

Doesn't appear to be a nut job, which helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The defender got nothing on the ball, yes.

But he also got nothing on Kane.Kane kicked his foot on the follow through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

The penalty is a debatable one, but far from a farcical call or the likes of that. Had the game in the background but the ref seemed to buy a lot of England players falling over though, a couple of corners/frees for the Netherlands were then given as frees out for English players falling over which seemed soft to me.

I think England also played well and deserved to win, their path to the semi was fortuitous and you’d argue they were lucky to get to the semi final but on that viewing (admittedly not watching 100% of the game) they deserved the win last night.

Interesting that Spain have rotated a bit in the tournament and England have not at all really bar one midfielder per game for the first few games. Will they run out of juice Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Germany are only so low in the rankings because they did not have any qualification games to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The issue with the penalty is that week in and week out, those are never given.

All VAR has managed to do is highlight the inconsistencies in how the laws are applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The English former player response to it has been surprisingly honest, Gary Neville said it was not a penalty, Micah Richards and Gary Lineker called it a "disgraceful decision".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It was a 50/50 challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Walker pushed Ake in the box just before halftime when Ake stopped the ball going out. Did VAR even look at that?

Taking the penalty out of it the referee consistently gave decisions to england and that’s what stops the flow of a team. Having said that the Dutch were poor.

• Advertisement

The Dutch weren't great. They can moan all they want but they didn't deserve it, no way.

Spain will beat England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Did anyone else think Bellingham's yellow was harsh?

Both players had gone to ground and the Dutch lad got there first and the collision that followed was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I haven't seen a replay, but at the time I thought the Dutch player had both feet of the ground going into that. He got the ball first but was lucky it wasn't reviewed.

No, it was a yellow. he was late and to borrow from the penalty analogy, "he didn't touch the ball", which seems to be the go to reference, even though Matthew Upson, Lee Dixon and Phil McNulty on the BBC all said "no penalty" as well. So maybe, no penalty, then no yellow would make sense.

Surprised he was allowed kick a ball away later on when the Dutch were awarded a free, but I think this referee was a bit blinded by the pre-match discussions on his suitability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The 00s England had the players but they did not use a system to benefit those players. I think this is no more evident that when you look at the 02 Brazil side. They looked at their players and picked a system to get their best players playing in as close to their best position as possible.

Brazil had 2 all-timer fullbacks/Wingbacks and 3 of the most naturally gifted attacking players but none of them are really players who will hold the width. Their midfield had Gilberto Silva but then didn't really have a great partner.
    They had Lucio at the back but again he didn't really have a great partner.
    So they played with a back 3/5, pushed on the wing backs and let the attacking players have more freedom

England had 3 central midfield players who liked to attack the box and they tried to fit them into the same midfield without any holder/protector despite all 3 playing their best football with a more defensive-minded midfield partner beside them.

The talent was there - the management was not. England in the mid 00s should have played with a 5 man midfield and let 2 players support a striker to get the best out of 2 out of the 3 or they should have paired up the one they liked the best with a defensive-minded player if they really wanted to keep 2 strikers on the pitch.
    But weak management couldn't leave any of them out, weak management couldn't switch away from Heskey as Owens partner and weak management couldn't drop Owen when Rooney came along so they failed time and again.

They picked the worst idea possible and tried to play Scholes as a left midfielder and pair Gerrard and Lampard in the middle without anyone beside them to let them do their thing.

Southgate started the tournament here with the same issues in picking a system not suited to get his best players into or as close to their best positions as possible but he has at least switched to a system that suits the players a bit better in the last 2 games. So credit where it is due there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

If the defender was just standing there and Kane kicked him on the follow through I would agree with you but Dumfries actively tried to block the ball with his studs showing and missed it. I can see why it was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They should have done better than they did but England would have still lost out to France, Italy, Spain and Germany of that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Apologies for anybody who thinks this joke is in bad taste. It is but a joke and no offence is intended. Spoiler alert button added for anybody not interested in reading a joke on this thread. Please ignore this comment and don't press the spoiler below (it is safe for work by the way)

They'll be insufferable now the've got to the final. There will be flags everywhere, songs about it coming home, thinking they've already won it. But enough about cork people, what about the English fans

If my beloved Limerick were in the final I would still post it

Possibly, but they would have at least been able to give them a game with their best players in positions that suited them

442 with a Lampard/ Gerrard centre midfield partnership meant they never stood a chance against the better sides but I don't think the better sides were streets ahead either.

On paper France for sure was better - but they were also a bit mental and suspectable to a bust-up - see 2002 World Cup. Going out to Greece in Euro 2004 etc..
    Germany was average enough but a team who made the best of their players between 2002 and 2006. Overachieved really
    Spain were not the Spain they later became - a good side but one that was known for falling short at that stage despite the talent.
    Italy - yeah a very good side. Had some of the best collection of defenders any international side has ever had in that era but again not unlike the French it could go totally wrong for them as well - see Euro 2004 when Denmark and Sweden got out of the group ahead of them.

Lets not forget that Greece ended up winning the Euros in 2004. That was a massive failure for all those sides to not win that tournament ahead of them

I don't think it's crazy to say that England had they setup correctly in 2004 could/maybe should have won that Euros.

All if and buts though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sorry Im late on this, but yes.

I was on the Ubahn out to the stadium for that game and was 90% + German, who had paid between 200 (cat3) 400 (cat2), 600 (cat1) or 900 (prime, but no free beer/ grub) euro per ticket, and there was families and couples so for 2 to 4 tickets thats a shedload of cash people shelled out. There were lots of people looking to offload tickets at the gate, which you almost never see at the Allianz .

With Spain being an economic basket case with high youth unemployment a good distance from Germany, and France not known for a massive travelling support and neither really seeing a semi final as being a novelty worth travelling for or paying insane UEFA ticket prices for, there was no chance of off loading their overpriced tickets and they were "forced" to just use the tickets they bought - and the poor hairy Spaniard got stick for his floppy arms in the previous game.

For the final you'd think it'll be less of a problem as English fans will be hoovering up tickets for any price, so you wont have as many disgruntled germans at a game that they'd prefer to just have the cash for rather than a ticket.

What might be a problem is Spain going into Rugby mode on the likes of Foden, like they did at least 3 times with Musiala but feck it, the brits are in charge of the rules of the game and have not introduced a "black card" or sinbin for cynical fouling so would be indirectly their own fault if they lost to such tactics! Example….

https://www.tiktok.com/@neue_for_you/video/7389411770097487136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, think the same, Dumfries foot is moving to meet Kane's in the air, without getting the ball.

The only real grounds I see for not giving it is that there's usually a (really stupid) precedent that if the player 'gets their shot away' that late tackles don't give you anything. We see every week that a late tackle on a striker, that would be a foul if the player passed instead of shot, is for some reason totally fine if the player shoots at goal. That's the precedent that's been broken here - which is grand if that's how these incidents will be reffed going forward, but I doubt that will be the case. Come the start of the season we'll be back to lads sliding in late on a striker who's just shot, with nothing given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya the Germany team I was thinking of was the World Cup winning one which was the 2010's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kanes foot went into Dumfries not the other way around. Kanes follow through caused the contact. His leg, from my recollection was fully extended when he made contact.

It's not a foul and shouldn't have got as far as the referee reviewing it.

His shot wasn't affected either and he's going to ground so he's not being prevented from taking further part in the play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

That's the way I see this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm on team penalty too. Can't just blindly go in with your leg like that and make contact while getting nowhere near the ball.

As for Kane's shot getting off, yes but you see if a defender nips in and gets the ball while the attacker is swinging the leg, any contact is a foul, this was significant contact imo and a clear foul.

Their feet each went to the other - sure, Kane's was moving faster but both were moving towards each other, and of course Kane won the ball.

Oh I actually forgot about him. He wasn't around for the 2002 world cup though.

I remember him for Bayern in the CL though, what a player.

Jesus that era Brazil team is insane the more you look at it.

Yes but the contact was made by Kane. If he didn't follow through like he did there would not have been contact.

He then grabbed his shin like he'd been studded when his foot slid off the side of Dumfries' foot.

It's no foul, Kane was closer to committing a fouls than Dumfries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don’t know what you’re talking about and even if what you say was the case, that still wasn’t a penalty last night. Hopefully with any luck this English team will finally run out of outrageous luck on Sunday. Ronnie Whelan btw hollering for it was ridiculous. Give it a rest Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Those five I listed are examples of "When the best team in the tournament doesn't win it".

Not comparisons with this current England team.

If Spain lose to England this weekend then I think they're another example of the best team in the tournament not winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I think that England in 1990 were the best of an average lot. If they hadn't f*cked up the penalty shoot out against West Germany, they would have beaten a poor enough Argentina side in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

It literally was a penalty 😂

Don’t see how they’ve been outrageously lucky either, they topped the group and have since had the resilience to come back in every game. That said, if you do consider it good luck, England have had outrageously bad luck over the years so it’s only natural that one day it will go the other way.

England's first shot on target against Slovakia in the entire game was in the 95th minute. I am not having that categorised as resilience.

England's first shot on target in the second half against the Netherlands was in the 90th minute.

If either of these happens against Spain, then their "luck" will have run out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd disagree. They did deck it up vwrcia W Germany, however...

There was so much BS around England v Argentina that time, it was at best a toss of the coin to see who'd have won it. Argentina weren't great, but still had Diego going pretty well, a lot would have depended on how well a Roman crowd would have treats him and how he reacted to it-he could have won the game on his own or he could have gotten sent off after 5 minutes, it could have depended on what was in the parcel from Columbia that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Out of curiosity how much are tickets going for on the black market for the final? 5k? 10k? 20k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

England were absolutely not the best team at Italia 90.

West Germany were, and won it. Italy were better than England as well. I could make a case for 2 or 3 other teams being better than England too.

This was not resilience, as defined as successfully adapting to difficult conditions.

If anything, Slovakia (ranked 48th before tournament) did that, and it almost worked.

• Advertisement

They were 16k for the semi!

This seems saucy, and you won't need me to translate

Bis zu 93.000 Euro für die letzten EM-Final-Tickets in Berlin!

Going 3 behind 3 games running isn’t tough conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If Spain win the final, and Olmo scores like 2 goals and wins man of the match, carrying Spain as usual, will he be in Ballon D'or contention would we think?

And it prbably will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No.

Its probably Bellinghams this year, especially if England win on Sunday.

It was never a penalty and I’ve no idea what you’re talking about England having bad luck in tournaments. Nonsense

should be Rodri especially if Espana win on Sunday

Post edited by TheCitizen on

I don't know, he didn't start every game. Ruiz and Rodri would be more likely I think.

If Spain win, Rodri's gotta be the guy. Most important player in perhaps the best club team in Europe already, so winning the Euros should really cement him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

https://x.com/bwfc_archie5/status/1811387549929144721?s=46&t=M-EGdU8vr-bNuKyNUg6tmQ

how anyone can say Dumfries foot is not going into Kane and it’s just Kane’s move towards Dumfries is beyond me.

If you don’t think it’s a pen because of precedent well ok whatever but that it was Kane’s foot going into Dumfries and Dumfries foot is not going towards Kane’s foot , I mean no. That’s just wrong.

Post edited by Did you smash it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm still very torn.

Looks like side foot to side foot rather than anything studdy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement