Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longlegs

Options
  • 06-07-2024 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

This film is getting great reviews, sayings it’s the best horror in years. And that is quite a compliment as there has been some great horror films in recent years, eg Hereditary, midsommar and it follows. Plus it has Nic Cage which is always a plus.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Osgood Perkins, the director, is very talented (and son of Anthony Perkins , he wot played Norman Bates in Psycho) so had wondered if the might be his breakout hit. His films have always had a fabulously foreboding, creepy àss vibe without being full on horror but hadn't yet broken out yet.

Also great to see Maika Monroe continue her career as the predominant Scream Queen.

Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It has a real se7en/silence of the lambs vibe to it, except there is meant to be a supernatural element to this also. Between this and Maxxxine it’s gonna be a great next 2 weeks for horror fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks very promising. Might be the standout horror of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Im not usually a horror fan but are we talking basically a thriller here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haven't seen the film, but Oz Perkins' style has generally leant on delivering a very tangible & all-pervasive mood, rather than superficial jump scares or monsters lurking in the corners. I've seen nothing to suggest Longlegs is gonna deviate from that aesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The best marketing I’ve seen for a movie in a very long time. Those trailer teasers were immense. Hopefully it lives up to the hype it is generating. Want to feel unsettled leaving the cinema like we did after seeing Hereditary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm torn, if it's silence of the lambs type deal....then I 100% want to go see this..(haven't been all that enthused about going to cinema in recent weeks due to being excessively busy - would have made it to furiosa if it stuck around longer in local cinema)

If its going to have me locking doors and checking wardrobes.......even though I could nearly see the strings in the exorcist I swore I'd never willingly go to something like it again or the original Japanese ring etc

I might have to read some no spolier reviews here telling me which it's closer too..

I have no issue with gore, serial killer, schlocky jump scare elements of horror etc ...somemystical, supernatural elements ...no issue with girl with dragon tattoo, 1st season true detective, aforementioned silence of the lambs, most of the x files (except that eugene tooms liver/kidney eater one a little bit)....but start bringing insatanic type stuff or possession and make it believable and I always wish I hadn't watched the damn thing...must be the vestigial Catholicism!

Hell of a thing a grown man needing the door locked and lights on to go to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Saw it there.

Leans hard into atmosphere and does its best to unsettle you, but, quite honestly, it's so over the top and lacking any real coherence that I found it kind of silly.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Disconnect between audience and critics. I tend to enjoy schlocky horror movies and dumb action movies when the scores are the other way around.

• Advertisement

When it comes to horror movies, general audiences seem to prefer jump scares and more immediate thrill-rides over anything that emphasies "mood" or a lurking creepiness. I daresay you could pick any assortment of movies from that umbrella of Horror and the disconnect would be the same; it's just where horror cinema is in the mainstream. Basically James Wan or bust.

Also Rotten Tomatoes is hot trash and mentioning it will be a bannable if I'm ever a mod here 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Even though I am decidedly lukewarm on this movie - I wouldn't even look at the audience score on RT for any movie when considering whether to watch it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Romero

Seen it this evening and loved it, but I can see how it would divide audiences. Great performances from Maika Monroe, Nic Cage and Blair Underwood. Fantastic cinematography from Andres Arochi and direction of Oz Perkins. There is such a sense of dread as the story unfolds. And I think I will have to watch it again as I'm sure there are lots of clues in some of the scenes. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This wasn't creepy or scary or full of dread, it was pure camp, and not in a good way. And some of the acting choices are so odd and off that I'm not sure if it was purposely bad or not.

Checking the cinema listings does make me miss the days you could watch Adult Rated movies in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't disagree with this apart from maybe the highly recommend bit, the big issue was a lack of any real scares, it had more laughs than scares. Nic Cage was seriously camp and OTT chewing the scenery which kind of takes you out of it. 7/10 for me looks and sounds fantastic with mostly excellent performances, hopefully no sequels even if it is a hit!

I was at the lighthouse and it was packed, two girls in front of me spent most of their time hiding behind their coats lol

Yeah I can see that, as I said it will divide audiences and I think people are put off by the supernatural elements. But have to say im still thinking about different elements of the film today. Also loved some of those camera angles where you are looking at Harker at her desk with the door frame behind her and expecting something to appear in it that creeped me out. Definately buying this ok 4K Bluray when it gets released.

I must also check out more of Oz Perkins back catalog. Amazing to think his Dad was Antony Perkins and his Mother Berry Berenson was on one of the flights that crashed into the twin towers on September 11th and one day before the 9th anniversary of her husband's death.

Get you, don't get me wrong I liked it generally and it will definitely stay with me. I know some friends who would like it I think and some would detest it. Oz Perkins definitely one to watch and to check out his back catalogue alright. Also a bit mad he was in legally blonde as the really big awkward class mate lol

There was a local Vue, that used to do a horror film slot at around 11am on a Saturday/Sunday. Sadly as you point out, seems to be a thing of the past.

$22.6 million in its opening weekend in the US; that strikes as a fairly astonishing figure for a small, moody indie horror flick. And given the budget is rumoured to be around $3 million, Neon are about to make bank here.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

Seemingly they spent under 10m to buy it and similar spend on marketing etc, so will turn a bit profit for Neon alright. Good to see something original doing well! It just shows you there is an appetite for it!

Seems to be low take up of boardies who have gone out to see this.

Maybe people are waiting for it to hit streaming.

I would just be interested to get other posters take on it as seems to be a Marmite type movie.

Great return on investment for Neon as it looks fantastic, if you said it cost 80 million I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Went to see it last week. It was a very busy cinema, most packed viewing I have been in quite a while. Some were laughing at a few points, others quite stony faced. The marketing was certainly effective.

Found it more of a thriller than a straight horror. Some of the cinematography was very imaginative. Particularly the playing around with ratios. Decently acted albeit a bit predictable at points. Slightly creepy rather than outright scares.

I enjoyed it and would watch it again at some point. The person I was with did not and said they would probably recommend waiting til it shows up on streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Unusual film, very atmospheric and at times quite creepy. Widescreen photography and the way the shots were composed was beautiful on the big screen. Maika Monroe's performance was a bit too mannered but she remains one of the most interesting actresses out there.

Plays as a great triple bill with MaXXXine (all the Psycho references) and Psycho II (Oz Perkins has a cameo as young Norman).

Post edited by Decuc500 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A victim of hype for me. Some of the reviews I heard had mentioned some veering away from normal tropes, but I didn't see it. Definitely a great atmosphere and sense of dread, however the reveal didn't do it for me. I was worried that Cage would be a bit cartoonish, but he was used just enough and was very good in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Saw it last night. While the cinematography was very pretty by times, the whole thing just felt a bit off. I love Cage as an actor but just couldn't accept him as a menace. When it veered the direction it veered it just made me scoff tbh. Some of the imagery was cool but ultimately i found it all a bit empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Certainly more daring than most horrors. It seems to be trying something different at every turn and some pay off and some don't.

On the plus, there is a general foreboding and ever sense of dread throughout which really reminded me of the original Japanese "Ringu". Also similar to that film, there's a mix of "is it/isn't it" a supernatural element at play. This reminded me of the recent "Black Phone".

On the negative, every scene attempts to look like a cinematographer's masterpiece, which is admirable but this got a bit too much to take in after a while.

Maika Munroe delivers as an extremely reserved FBI agent and Cage confidently charms his way into our hearts as a crazed Satanist.

It will definitely split audiences and there's a lot to take in but I think you should see it to make your own mind up.

Advertisement