Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not sure why calling out something as stupid means you're offended. One thing got nothing to do with the other .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Can't see how. Ice cars also have touch screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭User1998

Thats a completely different car to the one that was for sale in 2007/2008. Try comparing like for like

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭teediddlyeye

My point was there were large petrols around in 08 that were on low tax rates. That was just the extreme example, if that car came out a year earlier it would've gone from 1800 to 200.

The GS was around before and after the changeover iirc although that only went from 1800 to 700 i think. So same as the old 2l rate. Still good value!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Lexus RX and GS are hybrids.. It was diesel cars that saw lower motor tax, but only by a couple of hundred Euros usually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, that was me. Their reasoning is moronic. That makes them morons in my book.

Feel free to try justify their illogical reasoning, I'm all ears.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

No, the etron is mine, it's not a company car. I have cupra born as a company car and we bought the etron personally for herself to replace a 530e.

The 2 guys that are really resistant to change currently drive a Skoda kodiaq and a BMW X5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is it hard to blame them? No ev will have the presence of an x5, and presumably the Kodiaq, being a very competent car is doing everything and more the driver needs and aside from saving the planet (allegedly) the ev only introduces complications to life .

I definitely would view going to any ev from an x5 (except an ix maybe) as a serious downgrade.

The self righteous here calling them morons are just displaying their own mental inadequacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Thinking the X5 is a car with "presence" is what I would call mental inadequacy. Dull, bland and relegated to Qashqai territory. In any case, looks are subjective and opinions plentiful. Based on the OP description, the colleagues are morons who were dishonest about their reason for going back to ICE. My money is on them not having the stamina to take the jibes coming from people who think batteries last 2 years before going up in flames.

Stay Free

The kodiaq is 4 years old now and going fine, the X5 is 7 years old and causing all kinds of problems. He wants a new X5 but the diesels are astronomical money and the PHEV will cost a fortune in fuel because he will never plug it in. X5 guy won't even entertain taking one of the EVs out for a day to try it out.

• Advertisement

Sorry I just can’t imagine anyone going from an x5 into any current ev (again aside from the Ix) and feeling happy about the move either from a usability or perception pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its an interesting thread. If someone offered me the new VW Tiguan petrol phev for my new id4 pro plus I might be tempted by it. I definitely wouldn't go back to ice only.. it would feel like I'd be admitting defeat to all the naysayers which in itself would be hard to take. Drove Sligo to Dublin last weekend and Dublin Limerick and back this weekend and no hassle at all. In some ways as an EV owner I don't want more ev owners as it would mean more competition for public chargers 😂

Drove a friend's hybrid during the week and got a hop when the petrol engine kicked in.. everything is just so smooth and quiet in the evening.. it's almost to relaxing.

I changed my id4 a year early due to all the uncertainty and noise. I reckon we all be back to petrol if things don't settle down over the next three years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Spokesperson for everyone on the planet has logged on and thinks that the BMW X5 is the pinnacle of motoring. 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Had a 192 X5 M50D a few weeks back for the weekend. Fantastic car. Comfort, spec and tech. I think that era is the last of the good built BMW’s. Everything after that is plastic and cheap.

Noise was artificially sent into the cabin, I don’t like that trend with the new age cars, it was fast, fast for a jeep kind of thing but not a fast car if you get me!

Space inside was huge compared to the smaller class of car, 3 series, Model 3, BYD Seal etc but I kind of knew that having owned 3 X5’s thought my life 😀

Build quality was great as usual for them but could I live with it daily, I don’t think so. I also forgot how other road users are c@@ts towards SUVs nowadays, couldn't get into a gap in traffic at all 😆

It was a light hearted comment based on you saying "anyone". I mean you were specific about going to an EV from an X5, but still a bit of an exaggeration. Personally I never liked the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

We are dragging our heels in this country whereas the rest of Europe is moving on with the EV transition. There's simply no going back to petrol in 3 years time. Ireland has no choice but to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not to say an X5 is a bad car, but does seem to be more of a statement car than anything else. Reckon EV drivers are a lot more comfortable with themselves.

EV or P45 ultimatum? When you do the maths it might be more cost effective to pay him off than to have to pay the extra expense of having to purchase a new X5 and the cost of fuel that goes with it.

That's pretty much the line my employer takes. Albeit an Irish company it's a very American way of looking at things i.e. Get with the program or else start looking elsewhere.

Morons is a bit strong alright, but it seems these two guys took a huge depreciation hit for (on the face of it seems very poor reasoning) and have now exposed themselves to another big depreciation hit as their new cars trundle towards extinction.

• Advertisement

I went from a V8 petrol X5 to a Renault Fluence EV in 2012. I went from a Merc ML270 to a Nissan Leaf in 2017.

He most certainly does not speak for “everyone” 😀

Yeah, I went from an Audi A6 V6 to a Polestar 2. Polestar knocks the socks off the Audi in pretty much every respect.

Can't sack someone for not going EV, nor do we want to. We aren't a multinational, we are a family business, I'm loosely related to both by marriage. They just won't be getting new cars if it's not EV, that's all.

Horses for courses. I’d have to disagree with you as it really depends on what you want from a car. I had a 2014 Range Rover Sport (6 years old at the time) which is a class above the X5 and I can confirm that other than the high driving position and the road presence it provides I found my 2019 Tesla Model 3 to be better in almost single way. Quieter, smoother, faster, more fuel efficient, reliable, much better tech, adequately comfortable etc.

The Range Rover didn’t even have an auto hold handbrake, terrible technology, crappy reverse camera, noisy diesel engine. Very unreliable and costly to maintain. And this car is considered a class above an X5. It was very comfortable and I felt very proud driving around in it but other than that I would pick a premium electric car any day of the week. That being said if Land Rover sold a fully electric Range Rover I would of pick that over my Tesla, not that I could afford it!

Did you see that polestar DM LR for sale in Dunboyne? Very tempting at €34k.

I did. Great price. I reckon that car was ~60k when new. Having said that, you can buy the exact same car from Polestar for around 47k and order the new one for around 46k. Pretty much the same spec as the one in Dunboyne. So the saving is about 26% which is very good, but not exceptional. Still a bargain and the cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Your imagination is fairly limited and ego fragile.

If you're crackers enough to be shelling out 120-150k for something based on a soccer moms range rover and is worse than a Santa Fe at half its price, then it's not surprising you might find it hard to imagine someone moving from a badge to something that is so much better by every metric that counts.

If one is worried about what the neighbours think. I genuinely feel sorry for people that fragile and impressionable that they would go for something less than. It's like all the girls dressing the same way.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I moved from an x5 to an ID.4

Had the x5 for 10 years but was time to move on. Running costs were off the scale with tax/maintenance/fuel.

Have never looked back since the move. The ID.4 is a more comfortable drive in every way (for me). No way do I see it as any kind of step down , buts that’s my personal opinion.

Now a 2 EV house, would never go back to ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

For such an expensive purchase it does seem very little research was done by both prior to purchase

The details on all cars are easy to find, including proper range etc

Did they think the quoted ltr/100km is achievable in the replacement cars?

Advertisement