Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

what a semi final that was. Longest women’s singles semi final in Wimbledon history and first Italian woman to ever get to a woman’s final. Not a bad day for the Italian lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s hard to not like jasmine Paolini. She’s a happy person and not a bad tennis player.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Two entertaining Ladies semis. Both winners very likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Is this the worst field in living memory in the men's singles? It seems to be getting worse year on year

• Advertisement

What I don't like about commentators in these individual sports, is they are constantly telling us everything is the best ever, that the current guys are the best ever, to promote the game.

Because it's a small world too, there's little criticism of players from commentators as they all have to see one another.

Like McEnroe couldn't tell me he wouldn't have a chance at his peak against the top 3, even he doesn't believe that, and would think he would win. So do they think we're stupid? Alot of it just about promoting the game and it's positives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is Musetti going to give Djokovic a match?

I am guessing Djokovic in 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

McEnroe giving Kyrios some stick about his choice of wardrobe between matches 😆.

Kyrios is a dose on the court but hes growing on me so far with his commentary. Still waiting for him to rip the ass out of it at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

What a point to break with

Musetti breaks with Djokovic serving for the set....yikes. Much better more aggressive play in that game.

• Advertisement

Djokovic breaks again to take the set desperately poor service game from Musetti.

Andrew Castle asking for advice on box sets..…from Kyrgios and McEnroe...thrilling stuff.

Give me Andrew Cotter and Ash Barty any day, world apart quality wise.

Musetti breaks Djokovic in the opening game of second set, can he not completely lose the head on his own serve...

Musetti saves two break point and holds his serve, now we could have a match! Very enjoyable match so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Second set tiebreak it is!

Djokovic takes second set...and that is that you feel. Hopefully Alcaraz can give him a match in the final, the draw has been very kind to Djokovic lets be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

The sport of Mens tennis is in such a pitiful state that a next gen player in his prime , Musetti,who got to the final of Queens last week, Musetti,can't take a set off a 37 year old recovering from knee hole surgery 3 weeks ago

A sad sad revelation. Pitiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Leaving aside the walkover in the Q/F who would you have liked to see him play?

With Federer and Nadal gone there really is no one in his league.

He has spent over 400 weeks at No1 he has just beaten the player who beat the current no 1 (granted sinner was sick) , however even if he played Sinner the last round the critics would be saying he only won as Sinner was sick 🙄.

Physically he's a very skilled player, but where I think he excels is the mentality. He keeps a very strong mental game, whereas alot of the other players buckle under pressure.

I'm looking forward to the Alcarez match on Sunday, he's the only player I think will give him competition and I'm glad that they are meeting in the final.

Brutal once more by the next generation. Once again Djokovic doesn't even have to up his level to win these games against most of the new guys, they literally hand it up.

At the end of the first set, Mussetti literally does all the hard work, only to hand the advantage straight back, under no more than normal pressure. You have to be doing better.

A recurring theme going on for years now, these young guys often have the beating of the big 3, but literally wilt the moment any pressure comes on. It's pitiful to watch tbh.

And it's not as if they have the excuse they're too young anymore, they're at the age where previous slam winners had already won their first slam.

Their only defence is someone like Djokovic isn't the same as a top player in even the last generation being 37, with the advanced diets, science and conditioning now in game etc. Guys can extend their time at the top.

37 though, is still pushing it, and you can see Djokovic would struggle if some of these guys could take it to him and sustain it. There's been cases where he was in trouble, didn't improve, only for the youngster to collapse on his own accord.

People laugh or roll their eyes when I use Lleyton Hewitt as an example, but he's an example in mental fortitude, and the attitude needed to break through and take it to the top guys, instead of constantly bottling it.

Mussetti had the game, shots and ability to win today, but blew it at all the crucial moments. Simply not good enough

• Advertisement

He is strong mentally, but I've never seen a full generation of up and coming players so weak mentally. As I've said, many of them have had Djokovic on the ropes in recent years, and it wasn't so much his mental strenght or raising his game, it was more a case of them collapsing, without Djokovic even having to force his game.

We seen a prime example of this in the last game of the first set, Mussetti hitting double faults and being all over the place

For most of them I think the game is lost before they set foot on the court. His name alone strikes them down.

Kyrgios has the mental cockiness to take him on, but still lost!

I like alcarez, he reminds me of a puppy. Full of energy chasing every ball.

I hope he wins on Sunday.

While I would have supported Federer/Nadal ahead of Djokovic, I have a lot of respect for him, how can you not admire someone so good at what they do!

Kyrgios is a bluffer imo, and wouldn't have the mental toughness either

He likes the idea of being seen as this tortured genius, cause he knows he's not good enough. So if he lets on he doesn't practise, at least people would think he's good enough if he applied himself. That he's at least as naturally talented as the big 3.

I'll tell you what he does practise for hours, those unorthodox shots, he likes to pawn off as moments of natural genius in a game. A complete spoofer, it's telling when such a respected pro and fellow countryman like Lleyton Hewitt never had any time for him. And he actively tries to help fellow Australians

He's not even a wasted talent/genius like Gasquet, who actually did have the ability, he's simply not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think Alcaraz is favourite but imagine he will have to beat the greatest returner of all time,the greatest old court player of all time albeit way past his best ,and most importantly the soap opera Djock will make of the final,watch for histrionics about cramp or injuries, fights with team when he dramatically totally recovers in 5th set to play like a 20 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

To me the current crop of young players are the best we have seen in a while. They have the skills but I don't see why people are saying that they are not good enough.

Djokovic is once in a lifetime player. I don't think we will ever see a player like him again. He has the skills, the mental fortitude and the attitude to win no matter what it takes. Who cares what 'tricks' he uses, it's all part of the game.

Once he retires I see an extremely competitive group of players that will fight it out for top spot for the next 10 years.

I am looking forward to the next generation coming through but in the present I would like to see Djokovic win a few more slams just to cement his place in tennis history.

It will be tight on Sunday and if Alcaraz can keep the intensity up he has a good chance but if he lets his concentration slip for 1 minute he will be in trouble. And he has had the tendency to drop off the pace in previous matches this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not exactly a blockbuster women's final coming up, but at least I hope it's a competitive three setter. This was Rybakina's title to lose and she lost it 😢

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its not all part of the game. Its his game. And I hope we never see it again whe he’s gone. None of the greats pulled the same stuff he does, apart from Connors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Bykobap

As a casual tennis fan it's easy to conclude that the sport has lost the box office feel to it.

There's no genuine giants of the game clashes anymore.

Women's game is dire really, no mojo to it.

I think the last time i actually enjoyed women's tennis was Serena v Henin and such when I'd actually postpone any chores to watch the spectacle that it was.

Men's side obviously doesn't look great too in regard to quality, edge of your seat stuff.

Once Djokovic retires there's nobody left who has that all-star aura with credentials & substantial record in the game.

Alcaraz v Sinner or whatever else pairing might be from current pool of players in years to come, just doesn't do it for me.

Tennis is definitely on a downward trajectory.

Advertisement