Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted burglary Aghamore shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Speaking as someone that owns a number of firearms for many years in Ireland I am sad to say that I strongly suspect that the individual that shot the van will never be permitted to legally own a firearm again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not a hope, guns will be down in Garda station now and never returned

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sober Too

A shotgun license holder in my locale is often described locally "as cracked" and no fear his licence won't be renewed.None!

Case of who you know even these days😉

Post edited by Sober Too on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JPCN1

should be returned with a community service medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Shame he didn't wing a "travelling" thief like Nally did. Loose the licence but know yer house will never be touched again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sober Too

Would any here familiar with firearms care to comment on the outcome of the 2? shots fired at the van.

One seemingly neatly pierced the bonnet the other only damages the windscreen not completely shattered. The only photo I'm finding is the van without registration plates visible, slightly curious?

https://www.galwaybeo.ie/news/ireland-news/armed-gardai-all-over-irish-9405512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bye-bye firearm.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The hole in the bonnet looks more like it was a rifle than a shotgun, if it was a high powered rifle, particularly at short range the bullet could implode inside the bonnet and damage wiring or the cooling system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say there is more to this, maybe not the first time that this person has been robbed or intimidated - as had happened to Saint Padraig Nally.

If it was a one off incident it is unwise for a licensed firearms owner to open fire at a van with people in it, even if they are scum. Different if you catch someone in your house and they don't run when confronted and/or have a weapon. It's a big step to point a gun at someone, you better be prepared to kill them and deal with the consequences of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It all depends on if an actual robbery was taking place or if the shooter suspected one was imminent . If the Gardaí find that a burglary was happening he should be ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Shot to the lower left side of the windscreen looks to be at 12 yards range approx.

If the hole in the bonnet is from a shotgun, it's at at two or three feet range.

Almost looks like it was done with a crowbar or buckrake tooth.

Too big a hole for a rifle, unless the shooter had a target slug loaded in the shotgun.

If he had a target slug, without a Restricted licence, he'll have some explaining to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/farmer-opens-fire-at-getaway-van-after-third-burglary-gang-raid-in-a-year/a1750340359.html

It’s truely awful the fear that these people have brought to rural ireland for so many years , farmer in Mayo having to fire shots after his third time been robbed this year - all the garda stations Fine Gael closed making it easy for these travelling gangs in rural Ireland and lenient judges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes Rural Ireland is rife with crime at the moment and the Gardai either dont have the man power or just dont give a feck

It's absolute laughable the so call investigations they do.

My neighbor an elderly man in his 80s has his oil robbed 3 times, Gardai have done feck all and instead just went to the local criminal in the area to ask did they steal it and here's a shocking part, the criminal said "No"

These Criminals target rural ireland as it's an easy and farmers particularly are highly targeted but the only concern for these Criminals are guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Musicrules

If it wasn't FG it was FF who even themselves have come to the conclusion that they're virtually identical parties. The two of them have taken turns for a century having their turn at the trough and now they're sharing it together. Nothing has been done about rural crime and FFG don't seem to care. The responsibility lies with them. It shouldn't be up to farmers to use arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭French Toast

Revolving doors on our courts and Garda stations now hours apart in rural Ireland have emboldened scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The gardai are essentially hogtied at this point when it comes to this activity. Why would they bother when they see one of their colleagues being brought up on charges because of those three tramps bastards from Tallaght that drove the wrong way down the motorway and killed themselves.

People in rural areas or living alone should have a shotgun in their house because at this point, self protection is the only way.

Agreed, the damage to the bonnet looks like a slug or very short range shotgun blast.

There's now another article on this in the Indo and it mentions two shots being discharged - yet there is a photo of the van with damage on the left hand side with what look like another three large holes

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/farmer-opens-fire-at-getaway-van-after-third-burglary-gang-raid-in-a-year/a1750340359.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People are such dopes thinking choosing between FG and FF makes a difference. And when they get exasperated with them they blame the UK, EU, The Greens, Sinn Finn, The Church ... Basically we are a feckless nation that can't manage itself. We are simple targets for drug, alcohol, social media, debt addiction.

No mention of that in the Galway Beo article which is what this thread was about. The information about 3 previous incidents only came to light after my post that you responded to. Try to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My local Garda station has reopened but it won't make a scrap of difference. We don't need Guards sitting in Garda stations. It's the same with the idea that daytime checkpoints are going to reduce road deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

FFirst time seeing a shotgun leave a square hole…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭scwazrh

so he got the gun and hid, knowing someone would come to collect him

That’s the bit that will have him in trouble .Sitting waiting with your firearm will surely be classed as intent to harm and not self defence .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Should everyone who has had their homes burgaled be allowed a gun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

FF, FG, what's the difference?... two cheeks of the same arse.

As the leading parties, singly or together they have overseen the stripping down of services.

It is only a matter of time before we have another dead "travelling" thief case.

Self defence includes defence of property.

Could cause a bit of trouble though, especially if one had time and opportunity to call the Guards.

Regardless, things become a bit different when a firearm is discharged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭scwazrh

it’s not self defence if you have time to go get your firearm , hid somewhere and then wait for someone to come to you property.Thats a straight forward “ I’m going to teach these F**kers not to mess with me “ .Unfortunately if you are a licensed firearms holder in this country you can’t do that.

See what I had already added to the previous post regarding firearm.

My point was to the claim of 'waiting around for someone to come' rather than the use of a firearm. It could still be self defence even if you chose to be there when you could have gotten away if you were defending property. It would not be self defence if you choose to wait around knowingly waiting for some randomer to came out of a pub to give you a few smacks.

The Defence and the Dwelling Act will be your friend in the case it happens on or around your dwelling. That doesn't mean you can't get in trouble under other legislation or rules around firearms for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭JVince

Sad that to get a Garda response that he had to call the gardai and say that he fired shots.

If he called and said there was a gang of ethnic Irish robbing his house the response would have been "we'll send a car when one is available".

He will get his gun back as the law changed in 2022 and he is allowed to defend his property.

You were always allowed to defend your property. Albeit not unlimited. And there are different criteria for fatal vs. non-fatal acts of self defence. The latter comes under statute. The former does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Firblog

"When the van pulled up to collect him [the suspected burglar], he shot at the engine"

Very restrained response in the circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Wan bullet, bang bang

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

But if there was a chance that the homeowner was armed, would the criminals not ramp up too, or even break in when they saw him leave in order to steal the weapon?

I can just see as weapons proliferate, an Irish version of the NRA kicking off to advise that the best way to avoid shootings was to buy guns, then of course the best way of avoiding mass shooting was to buy more guns.

Having worked with the things in the UK, the sad fact is that I know full well that guns and fruitcakes have a great affinity for each other.

Personally If I felt concerned I would pester my TD for better protection, as I would about migrants and other things hitting the news.

They don't affect me though, some thefts were carried out in the area, but the culprits were identified and I assume dealt with.

Likewise, I see migrants that came here years back working in shops in the town and they are now Irish, working and living here, as am I.

So consequently, I don't feel the need to bother my TD to address problems that do not concern me.

If I was more concerned about crime, I would be more inclined to pester him about drugs. Likewise I know no drug users or traders, but I would guess from the news that drugs are behind a considerable amount of crime.

• Advertisement

It's an unfortunate outcome that they are most likely to shoot themselves, not an intruder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well the farmer involved in the recent story seems to have handled his gun perfectly competently.

Putting a few holes in a getaway van and none in himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Maybe mistook the VW van for a fox - easily done, especially in the dark - I know as a jury member that would provide me with a lot of reasonable doubt

Bit of a difference between a VW Transporter and VW Fox.

It takes someone defending their property to light a fire under the guards in this country.

Bet they would "have no car to send over" otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

there is a certain inevitability to this story which will be the same next time.

We need proper policing.

Many good sized towns have 3 Gardai on duty, with illness, Court or other on the job absences that drops to 2 or even 1, 2 means one in the station and one car out single manned, that single manned car needs support from another similarly manned station for almost all calls.

its pathetic management and it is absolutely not policing.

they both have headlights and doors and a windscreen 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Exactly, farmers with guns are very comfortable with discharging their firearms safely, with plenty of opportunities for practice against pests. It's not like they're someone who has a gun for "safety" or personal "rights" but never used it. They only have firearms in the first instance because they have a working need for one on their farm.

The Garda commissioner called this week for greater penalties for speeding- he neglected to mention that the Garda roads policing unit has been decimated by at least 40% over the last few years- maybe Gardai should get back out visible on the beat and do what they’re paid to do instead of sitting behind desks blowing into breathalysers to make up their targets - same principle here- blame and prosecute the property owner for protecting their property instead of out catching these pr1cks

And who do you think in Ireland get killed by guns every year

Farmers, they shoot themselves or their families, rarely anyone else

• Advertisement
Advertisement