Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damage to parked car. Any idea on costs / options for repair

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya I get you, however if I'm selling the car I will disclose to dealer or private buyer about bumper been resprayed and I'll show them the picture.

Shouldn't be an issue if your upfront about it but might affect resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

What happens when the OP goes to sell their car how much will it cost them if a polish vs a replacement in 3 years let’s say. When person goes is that damaged I see. Did you hit something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Fair play.

As a private buyer I wouldn't care personally, more important that it was fixed than left alone.

Also dealers spray scuffs all the time so doubt it'd make a difference to them either.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

@Trampas

The damage to the OPs bumper will have to be sprayed, there's no polishing that.

A replacement will come in a primer and have to be painted anyway. Possibly even in the same bodyshop. There will be no difference what so ever.

The only 100% factory fix here is a used colour matching bumper with no damage.

May also be the cheapest option.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Literally no one on this thread suggested a polish….. If it gets repaired and resprayed there's no damage to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Still not seeing where the young chap was a learner driver maybe the OP can clear that up for everyone here. Plenty of young people on full licences have got into scrapes and crashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I’ve read the op, I’m struggling to see where you are getting the learner driver bit, and worse, the speculation that he broke the law, from, can you clarify?

Small tips happen to even the most experienced drivers.

I would take a reasonable approach, I would assess the damage and decide how to proceed and my car is worth alot more than OP car.

I wouldn't ask the poor bastard to pay for a new bumper for a scratch. Also there's no body shop in Ireland that would even buy a new bumper for that damage, they would just use the existing one and take the extra cash that some clown pays them for a new bumper and tell them it was replaced.

• Advertisement

Little keyboard warrior 😂 go and rip off some other learner driver or another motorist for a new bumper over a small scratch, you are nothing but a guttersnipe and don't dare tell me what sort of language to use you pup.

Rear bumper and front bumper is no difference regards ability to repair so what are you even on about highlighting the fact you thought it was a rear bumper as some sort of excuse 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jaysus lads 😂

Hahaha 😂

Just hope no member of your family ever crashes into BlakeS94, he has shown his true colours in this chat.

The type of guy to launch legal action when he trips over his foot in a restaurant bruising his knee or he would do your granny out of 10 grand over a carpark bumper kiss.

He's a decent bloke, he swears 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Jesus you need to relax.. replying to yourself is weird.

The bottom line it needs to be fixed, you get it fixed by who you feel comfortable with.

nobody is claiming off anyone or making a quick buck, so the steam coming out of your ears can calm down.

some people will say ah its just a scratch relax, others will want it done properly, the driver was the gobshite that did it, so the driver is the gobshite that pays to get it fixed.

Screw the plebs? who's to say the young lad wasn't on his phone and is absolutely loaded?

Does it matter really? no… does the car need to be fixed? yes

It is a month old, you'd be sick if someone did damage, if you aren't paying for it you shouldn't bend over backwards for a stupid mistake, where should he just go to halfords for a €10 spray can? there is no claim here, the OP didnt come back from his holiday with whiplash.

And get off the pity train "trying to shaft you", what a clown.. nobody asked you to start driving at 33 we all started out at extortionate high insurance, it will never change.

"lurking"… lurking for what? nobody was in the car… its a straight, get it fixed, nobody has said to pull a fast one and say its €800 and take €750.

A new bumper is an over exaggeration but getting it fixed to what it was is the bare minimum and in no way does the OP have to go with the cheapest offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

This thread unintentionally has obviously stirred up some emotive responses. Just to clarify I'm taking the young man as genuine in his intention to make good on the incident that he is responsible for causing. The damage in my opinion is superficial and just needs to be properly repaired given that it's a newish car (to ourselves). We are bringing the car down to local body repair business later today to get a quote.

I'm sure it will be straight forward enough and hopefully not too expensive as I certainly do not want the young man hammered.

In answer to a question that was posed earlier in the thread. I don't know if he was a learner driver or not as the incident occurred whilst we were away from the house. All I can say is that the next door neighbor did have to come out and reverse the vehicle out of the cul de sac where we live. It would certainly suggest that the young man is inexperienced but he is at this moment in time owning up and taking responsibility. After all we all had to start sometime whilst developing our driving abilities.

I will update the thread with the relevant info / quote once the expert looks at the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t even bother updating. You made the right choice. Mods should just close the thread with the amount of ridiculous posts

Ah so not only are you an unreasonably judgmental wanker you're also the type to appeal to subjective reasoning and asinine speculation to justify it. And like I said to the other wanker, I'm sure you've never once made any mistakes or skirted a single rule or law in your life to date. What's next? You going to tell me you rose from the dead and walked on water too? Get over yourself.

That's not on you or even the fault of this thread. There's just an awful lot of grumpy miserable **** on this forum it seems.

Where have I judged?
    I have said we have all had to start with high insurance
    You said the OP should go to the breaker yard as an option? are you serious? who in the right mind would go there, wasting their own time, especially with a 221 car to please an idiot who hit your car

So again, tell me where I judged? Where did I speculate, I stated facts… a car got hit, the clown that hit it needs to fix it, I have also said I have made the mistake twice, i was the idiot twice, i bent to the other parties orders as I didn't want it to go through insurance.. which if they said they wanted to I would have had to

you have read nothing except what you wanted, point out my "subjective reasoning" and I will dumb it down for you.
    I equally said the bumper replacement was an over exaggeration.. eventually so did the person that said it, yet you are still on a mad one?

AT 33 and paying over 3k for insurance you are obviously starting out or did something really stupid to cause it to go that high

The world isn't against you.. give someone a hug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Good grief. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Sorry OP but maybe you should start a new thread when you have more information so that this thread can be taken behind the wall and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Maddest thread ever!

Yeah…. it did get a little out of hand didn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Any update from the body shop? I'm wondering if I need to buy more popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

If you're on here regularly you'll always need popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Just a final update…. The body shop confirmed it is a minor enough repair which will take 2 days. The cost is around €250-€300 which was communicated to the person responsible for causing the damage last week. I told him to transfer the funds the following week so we could go ahead and get the repair work completed. True to his word he transferred the funds this morning as agreed.

Genuine accident for which he took responsibility for and settled up for. No drama and certainly no need to screw him over for. Totally different approach would have been taken if the person hadn't been genuine and shown the appropriate remorse.

Thanks for input on the thread despite some posters getting a little carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Common sense prevails. Good outcome.

Advertisement