Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options
1111112113114115117»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If that’s your concerns. Fair enough. Plenty of petrol and diesel to go around for now.

I don’t agree with them, I think they are FUD and what you hear in the pub from non WV owners unfortunately but everyone has the choice. No wrong choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…take a look at ev purchasing figures, and not just from ireland, theres clearly a falling trend with ev's, we have failed to convince the public to change over, and its completely understandable why, due to the uncertainties it presents, manufacturers will continue to create ice cars for sometime, therefore purchasers know that resale values will remain reasonable, therefore supports will remain in place as long as this dynamic remains…..

…im actually all for ev's, i think many look stunning, including most teslas, and the tech is impressive, and the rate of advancement in the tech has been incredible, but……

…again, its the overall uncertainties with ev's thats actually preventing significant change over, yes theres enormous 'potential', but only a relative small proportion of drivers have actually truly changed, with now some even changing back to ice

…again, yes, there will be another surge in ev when manufactures end ice production, but that actually wont be for some time, so that probably wont occur well into next decade, or beyond, by that stage many of the issues with ev's presented will be ironed out, so the ev market more than likely will remain fairly stagnant for a few years

Now we know you’re a liar 😆😆

“i think many look stunning, including most teslas”

Most are like your own children. You love them because they are yours 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i take great offence to that, again, many ev's are truly stunning, filled with great advancement in technology, i spend a lot of my time around people that are extremely environmentally aware, and have been their whole lives, this actually includes myself, ive actually studied environmental matters for some time at third level, most of these individuals have not converted to ev, most have very little intention of, i.e. theres a serious problem in regards conversion…..

…policy makers also dont seem to understand why people are not converting, their projections of conversion are not realistic, they are unable to understand why, i.e. there is a significant disconnect on why so…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Does anyone actually believe Musk when he says there will be Robotaxis this year? He’s been promising it for years now. Same as hyperloops, colonising Mars this year, fully autonomous driving.

Meanwhile Tesla struggle with basic reliability issues, panel gaps, massive depreciation.

I genuinely believe they are in a lot of trouble. Dated designs, no new model (apart from the laughably awful cybertruck), EV sales down, resale values turning people off EV, other manufacturers launching new models, the Chinese launching EVs to beat the band.

• Advertisement

Ok. Maybe sarcasm doesn’t come across well in text. I was pulling your leg 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It's not at all surprising to me. There is a significant and very powerful lobby that is dedicated to maintaining our reliance on the ICE and oil. And as the day of obsolescence draws nearer and nearer, the rhetoric and FUD about EVs is increasing in tone and ubiquity. Pretty much every non-EV driver I've met since I've got mine has trotted out all the canards that have done the rounds, some of which you've repeated above.

Battery life

Charging infrastructure inadequate

Fires

Range too short

Too expensive

Lithium is rare

More harm to environment from production than ICE

Grid infrastructure will collapse

There are many more, but that's enough to get the idea. And this lobby is getting more and more vociferous and the lies are flying around the world before the truth can get its boots on. The advantages and refutations have been drowned out in the minds of the general populace. Yet there are outliers. Norway put a lot of effort by way of grants and incentives in the early years of EVs and that has resulted in over 70% of new car sales last year being EVs. Our government has decided that because EVs have got cheaper, they can cut back on these incentives. That was a mistake. The Green Party has a policy of pushing against the private car in favour of better public transport. EVs have become a victim of that policy. Even Italy has pushed more incentives into the market and has already seen the benefits of that. In France, 24% of car sales this year are EVs. So it's not across the board that there's been a slump, just enough to make sales in Europe flatten year on year.

You need to separate your dislike for the ceo as an individual and decide if you like the cars or not. Most of your posts seem to be dragging the CEO into the gutter or ridicule the man himself instead of the products.

I don’t believe in any of the taxi, mars stuff , although you can’t argue what he has done for the space transport industry with Space X.

Your opinion of the Tesla cars also seems to be outdated as the go to argument seems to be panel gaps from the EVHaters. There are plenty of panel gaps in the German cars, both ice and EV. Post a picture of your personal car and I guarantee there’s panel gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yeah. I don't particularly like the man, but that's only relevant to the cars if he goes off the rails a la Twitter and makes a pig's mickey of it. That may happen yet, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think the cybertruck was a mistake. Lots of fans of it out there (I'm not one of them), but the problem seems to be production not being able to match demand at present. That could be down to the design as it doesn't seem very practical from a manufacturing point of view. Stainless steel is a bitch to work with and an even worse one to maintain.

Dropping the model 2 might have been a pragmatic decision because of intense competition from other manufacturers including Chinese ones. But I'm not sure. A Tesla mini could have been a huge seller in the US and Europe and there's scope in that bracket for performance and high end variants too.

A mercurial CEO might be fun from a customer point of view, but maybe not so much from an investor one. You'd wonder how much that affects sales all the same.

I think the removal of stalks effect more sales than he does, in Ireland at least. In the US, they maybe more militant in who they support and think they associate him with Trump.

I genuinely don’t follow him or give a toss what he does. The day I like a car better than the M3P, I’ll swap it. The day a better car becomes affordable, I’ll swap. If that day doesn’t come then so be it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

As suspected when he said it, it appears this robotaxi day next month is being postponed - in fairness he only said it the day the share price tanked because the model 2 was canned, and now the SP is up again, so he can kick this down the road with the other litany of projects

Advertisement