Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

what’s wrong with defending him? Is that not allowed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course. It would be nice if you could engage without the judgemental tone though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Playing the victim now. This is all so obvious and done to death.

The first trick to shut down discussion didn't work so might as well try the second.

I stand by my original point about Cleverly.

• Advertisement

good for you. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

It’s such a shame that you always shut down anyone who doesn’t share it though.

You're the one shutting down opinions you don't like. When your attempt failed, you immediately played the victim card. I'm not wasting any more time on your silly games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think most, or certainly my feelings, about Cleverly is if he did not stand up and call out Frank Hester for his racist remarks and advise the PM not to take his donations he has no right to call out racism in other parties. He is right on racism in the Labor party, but that is not about the party and more about the country as a whole. Seeing as he was quiet when racism was pointed out in his own party he should do the honourable thing and keep quiet now when talking about it in other parties.

I don't think that is a controversial thing to say or think.

I get that and I don’t disagree.

My issue is with the posters who seem to think that Sunak and Cleverly deserve what they get because they didn’t call out Mark Hester for making racist remarks about Diane Abbot, but if that’s the case then Diane Abbott’s remarks about the Irish and Jews marks her fair game, does it not?

There is no hierarchy when it comes to racism, it should be called out without any sort of justification or excuses. The issue I have is that for some, it just boils down to “He’s a Tory so deserves everything he gets”.

And now you're gaslighting. I never defended racist abuse against any politician. I know I said I was done with your hateful drivel but it's important to call out lies like these.

Feel free to provide evidence but we both know there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

What Diane Abbott said was not racist, it a observable fact that if you have a dark skin colour you will experience far more racism than if you have a white skin colour.

Diane Abbott was not fair game on this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Except that's not what she said, she responded to an article about Irish Jewish and treveller people experiencing racism by saying they experience prejudice and not racism because they have white skin. She was basically gatekeeping racism and invalidating other peoples very real experiences of racism.

an example.

Incidentally, if anyone bothered to read the article quotes, rather than just the headlines, this is pretty much the kind of thing Cleverly is talking about.

And again he is right, when you see racism you need to speak out. So why did he and Sunak not speak out when it was apparent with a donor? Seeing as he plays the game on when racism needs to be called out and when not he should be ignored as he uses it as a political tool, instead of being serious about calling it out and addressing the problem.

Look at his quotes for the article,

"“The ethnic diversity at the top of conservative politics is a really powerful reflection of that entrepreneurial attitude that many migrant families have, and the fact that in the UK, if you work hard, you play by the rules, you pay your taxes and you do the right thing, you can really get on,” said Mr Cleverly.

“Whereas the voice I’m hearing from the Left is kind of like: ‘Know your place, stick with the Left-wing lines to take. Don’t be proud. Don’t be proud of this country’.”

Despite the Tories lagging up to 20 points behind Labour in the polls, Mr Cleverly said he “struggled to remember” a time when there were so many undecided voters at this stage of an election campaign, with just three days to go."

So he used racism as a stick to beat Labour with, but what about Reform?

"Labour has a problem with racism among its supporters, the Home Secretary has said.

In an interview with The Telegraph, James Cleverly said that his most recent experience of racism had been from the “political Left”, with their anti-patriotic rhetoric telling ethnic minorities they should know their place.

“I get criticism when I say how proud I am of this country, I get criticised by Left-wing voices, and it reminds me that they fundamentally hate this country, and they expect me to echo their opinion, and I don’t, and I won’t,” said Mr Cleverly, whose father is English and mother is from Sierra Leone.

The Home Secretary’s comments follow an election row over racist comments by some Reform UK candidates and supporters, including personal slurs targeting Rishi Sunak’s Asian heritage which left the Prime Minister “hurt” and “angry”.

Mr Cleverly said he did not think the Reform UK leadership had “gone anywhere near far enough distancing themselves from some of these distasteful opinions”.

Speaking during a break from campaigning in his Braintree seat in Essex, he said: “I’ve met Nigel Farage, and whilst I fundamentally disagree with him, I’m not suggesting that’s the kind of language that he personally would use.“"

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/labour-has-a-problem-with-racism-among-its-supporters-says-james-cleverly/ar-BB1pecZS?item=flightsprg-tipsubsc-v1a?season//

He was playing the game during the election campaign. He was trying not to upset those with the same views as those Reform candidates and campaigners as he wanted those votes and he used the "left" as scapegoat for those people to not feel bad about themselves and vote for his party.

If you think I have not read the article, I mean it spells it out,

"Mr Cleverly, a former party chairman as well as former foreign secretary, believed there was still time to woo Reform voters back to the Tories on the basis that they “instinctively” knew that backing Nigel Farage’s party would hand Labour a potential landslide victory.

He steered clear of talk about a “super majority,” but warned: “The point is that the most likely outcome if a lot of people vote for Reform is that Labour end up with a big majority and will do the opposite of what those voters want.

“In the conversation, they don’t need me to tell them that they know instinctively a Labour government would be completely at odds with what they want, and that even the best result for Reform would be maybe a handful of MPs, if that, but a big Labour majority with a leader who took the knee rather than backing the police.”"

I am not really sure what your point is, you are defending him for calling out racism in Labour when others are saying they do not take him seriously as he is not tackling the issue with the seriousness it needs because of his past history on the same issue. Does the fact that he did it to woo voters from Reform over change your opinion on him using racism to win votes?

If you go back over my past few posts, you will see exactly what my point is.

A poster read nothing more than the headlines and called him a liar. Then the usual accusations of “he deserves it” were thrown around.

He isn’t wrong with what he says and so what if he is using racism within Reform to woo its voter base? That is way better than using racism to attract their racist voters.

I see you called out the poster for calling him a liar about racism. The poster clarified what he meant.

You then pivoted the discussion to what posters said about Sunak and his daughters when he was racially abused. Your initial point was that white posters on here should not tell Cleverly about racism and your next point was that we were excusing abuse of Sunak. The point on both these politicians are the same. They allowed the racists to fund their party, they have very little sympathy when those racists turn on them because they are not white.

You are out here defending him by saying he is right to avoid calling out racism in his own party but to call it out on the Labour party to try and win Reform votes and we are not allowed to judge him because we aren't from a minority. You seem to have also agreed he was wrong to not call it out when it was Hester though. I think I have that right. Interesting way to see it.

Racism is either a social evil or it is not. Cleverly is only concerned about it when he perceives or pretends to perceive it in the Labour party. He is clearly acting in bad faith, knowing that he cannot stand on his party's record save for a few important exceptions such as Ukraine. This is what he has reduced himself to, entirely by choice. Flaunting his hobby for rich people isn't the smooth move he thinks it is either. Therefore, I stand by what I said above. The faux concern about racism on the right just proves my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

End of the day you can't come crying about bee stings when you are the one who started shaking the nest.

when did I say he shouldn’t call out racism in his own party. He absolutely should.

In the context of the interview, it wasn’t asked so it isn’t relevant.

I know you didn't say that. Again I am not sure what you are still arguing. You yourself have said he was wrong to not call it out and ask for the return of the donations from Frank Hester (I believe, happy to be corrected).

Where we are at the moment is you seem to think he should get a pass because he is from a minority and the white people on here should not be able to call him out on it. Seems like most disagree with you, even when you shifted the goalposts and you aren't really engaging with the rest of the interview I pointed out and not just the parts you want to highlight.

• Advertisement

which parts haven’t I engaged with and why did you not paste the entire article, where he said the racist abuse he has received on the election campaign is from the left?

Obviously most people disagree with me. I’m not criticising a Tory, which seems to be the entire point of this thread.

I’ve made my point. if you don’t like that fine.

We’re done here.

The part of the interview where he downplays Farage's role in the racism in Reform and looking to call out Labour for racism he has received on the left as he is looking for the Reform vote to switch to the Tories for the election. It was a ploy to win votes for the election and not a serious bid to tackle racism as he has shown he is very much ok with it if it is done by a donor for the Tories.

You keep coming back to the fact that he accused the left of racism, as if it seemingly needs to stick to people on here that lean left.

The funny thing about that interview as well, he criticises the message from the left to him that they are saying he should stay in his lane and repeat the party lines. Its not like he has been doing that and was doing that for the Frank Hester story for the Tories…imagine that, a hypocrite politician accusing the other side of exactly what he was doing. Glad we are done with this, it was just going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The King's Speech, today @11:30am.

Will be very interesting to see what Labour have simmering away on the hob, with more than 30 bills ready to serve up to the good people of the UK today!

Post edited by Shoog at

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno who said it 'cos it was said here I think, but nominal right-leaning centrists trying to indulge the Hard Right is only doomed to fail: 'cos no matter how far you lean to the right, the true Far Right (Reform) are always gonna go further and more extreme on the subject. Presumably 'cos Reform can promise everything and blame everyone without ever having to compromise - so all the Tories will end up doing is failing to scoop up the extremists baying for blood, all while further alienating the larger cohort of centre-right folk who'll just drift towards the Lib Dems & Ed Davey's more demonstrative middle-ground approach.

Just can't fathom how, after the shellacking the Tories got, they look at the state of UK politics and think "yes, let's go even more right wing!". Sure, Reform are nipping at various constituencies in third place but presumably there's a larger path to success in syphoning off all those tepid Labour votes than clawing back the angry Reform ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

Beaverman, Patel and Sunak are interesting in that their families may be ethnically Asia subcontinent but they came to Britain from African parts of the former empire.

Their British values seem more shaped by privilege and class. The northern Ireland British loyalist would have more in common with them than any home county Tory.

While their elevation to the front bench gave the impression of a multicultural Tory party it actually was a return to stratifying classism.

Sticking with Patel or beaverman will alienate moderate Tory's further.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭drury..

Well I said it anyhow

The tories can't take back the reform vote while they're both in opposition

Reform can say whatever they like to keep their support

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They can. And, I think, in some respects they're actually quite well positioned to.

The Tories and Reform are both in opposition to the Labour Government. They are competing for the votes of people who oppose the Labour government. And, while both parties will have their rusted-on supporters who cannot be dislodged, there'll be a large chunk of voters on the right that can be won by whichever party is seen to provide more effective opposition.

At first glance, this doesn't look like a happy position for the Tories. Given that they couldn't provide effective government, what are the prospects of their providing effective opposition?

But Reform have never provided effective goverment, or even pretended to be capable of it. They're quite open about the fact that, e.g, their election manifest was a set of inconsistent and undeliverable promises. They don't see that as a problem, because they're not going to be in government — they say that in as many words. The niche they have been filling is not "alternative government"; it's "ginger group whose role is to influence the dominant right-wing party" (by dragging it further to the right).

But the position that the UK is now in is that a (very modestly) left-of-centre government is being opposed by two parties on the right. The first one has 120 MPs, is the official opposition, and has a status that gives it opportunities, e.g, at question time, or in opposition business, to at least try to hold the government to account. The second one has 5 MPs, will be invisible in Parliament, and is a ginger group whose sole purpose is to influence the first one.

However badly the Tories are seen to perform in opposition, they're still going to look a lot more effective than the Faragists. Farage is going to find that being a gadfly that bothers the official opposition gets him a much lower profile than being a gadfly that bothers the government used do.

It's still up to the Tories to look like a good opposition, and a credible alternative government, and it will take a bit of rebuildling before they can do it. But, even before they do that, it's not Farage that will look like the real opposition; it will be the Lib Dems.

• Advertisement

This analysis is only partially correct. Most of these African Asians were indeed empire lakkies operating in the no man's land of not quite black so in elevated and privileged administrative positions. However the majority ended up in Britain after the expulsion by Uganda in the 70s. They arrived with not a pot to piss in and they actually exemplify a certain kind of Tory success story, they are the Ubber self made man. They are now performative Tories displaying their purity of belief in order to be accepted in a hostile party appealing to a hostile electorate. They are possibly the most extreme ideological Tories only bettered by the outright Fascist wing of the party who actively despise them.

Advertisement