Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Id be very wary of Olmo, with his injury record. Quality is nothing without availability.

You also have to factor in the tournament factor where players can excel through a purple patch of form. He's scored 3 goals in the Euros and his best league goals season in a top European league is 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

To add, Harwood Bellis captained england under 21s to the euros last summer. There isnt a player in that team(and most of the squad) that youd get for under 20m. Seems a bargain to me, could easily be next years jarrad branthwaite given the lack of quality in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

will be interesting to see if real make a move for rodri. he just turned 28 with 3 years left on his contract. city are probably the only team that can resist the pull of real.

Dani Carvajal: “I tell Rodri every day to sign for Real Madrid”.

“I tell him every day to leave Manchester, that there is no sun there and to come to Madrid that we need him”.

“He tells me he has a contract... but he would be perfect for us”, told @tjcope

I still think it's too much money for an unproven kid playing at lower levels. Maybe that's also a wider football problem.

Especially when the club have been burnt from overpaying from the same club previously and not getting much return. The one player Maybe I'll be wrong on this, and given that more educated people than me are making the decision I probably will be. But personally I don't see the attraction with buying all the City academy players and hoping that eventually one works out. You will get burnt badly by it eventually. They should have learned their lesson with Charles, Bazunu, Larios & Edozie etc.

I wouldn't hold too much water with underage stuff really myself. I remember when Rhian Brewster was the next big thing on Merseyside, and all of the talk was about him. Top scorer at the underage World Cup, banging them in every week at club level academy games. Liverpool actually cancelled a pre-season game with Borussia Monchengladbach as they were trying to tap him up. He went on loan to the Championship in January and had a great time there, scoring double figures in his debut season. Sold to Sheffield United for big money and has scored 4 goals in 4 seasons. They got burnt badly, they tried to gamble on him transferring the underage / lower league form to the big boys league. He couldn't cut it at the top adult level. And there's plenty of examples like that, he's just the easiest one for me to talk about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it seems the la liga president is keen for nico williams to go to barcelona:

La Liga president Tebas: “Barça are really close to being able to afford Nico Williams release clause”.

“They can pay those amounts if they are within the 1:1 standard… and it’s very close”.

“It is a club that has close to 1B turnover, so they can be in that line”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kambwala off to Villareal it seems, surprising as I thought he might get opportunities in the first team again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I guess if the Brantwaite and DeLigt rumours are true he'd be well down the pecking order so it makes sense for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Onana is a great signing for Villa to replace Luiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm genuinely annoyed United aren't after him. Would have been my first choice cm target to partner mainoo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

feel like United fans said the same thing when Villa signed Kamara & Tielemans in recent windows also, though that may have been in part cos those two were free.

Don’t think Villa could have done much better in replacing Luiz to be honest and when Kamara gets back fit having those 2 in CM. Will allow the likes of McGinn & Telemans play a more advanced role that suits them better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I'd still expect a deal to be done for Branthwaite tbh. Plenty of time to go in the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He’s only young so has upside, and from a brief video of seeing how he dealt with a dopey English journalist calling him the wrong name, he seems like a good lad. Martinez picks him for Belgium, but I don’t give that much weight because he’s a poor manager (similar to Koeman picking Weghorst ahead of Zirkzee).

Personally, I think he is well over rated. And he was dropped by Everton for the run-in due to his poor form. And as soon as he was dropped Everton’s results improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes, but he has to select him for Belgium to leave room for Ronaldo. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's a video of him going around Twitter chanting "Gibraltar is Spain". Don't think that'll go down well with the British media.

https://twitter.com/finallyxpablo/status/1812953564291211368?t=GxhQym87_orD73giG9ncjg&s=19

Thanks.
    But point stands that just because an international manager picks you (esp when that team doesn’t perform) doesn’t mean you are a great player. £50m for a player who, when everyone was fit, wasn’t good enough to get into a mediocre Everton team is not what I’d call a great signing. It’s a big money gamble that a different manager will be able to fulfill an apparent potential. It may, or may not, work out.

He is U-23, has around 20 caps for Belgium, is something like 6f5 and quite the unit (I’ve seen Villa described as being a bit lightweight in CM at times last year), has been linked heavily to Arsenal and to others like Man Utd. He has Premiersip experience and already knows / has played alongside Tielemans in midfield but won’t even be guaranteed to start when Kamara gets back fit. Still has room for improvement especially from what I’ve read if he’s in a team or under a manager (key thing is Unai wants him) that plays a different style but with Villa needing to replace Luiz and bulk up the squad for a season that'll include champions league football I really don’t see this being too much of a gamble but if it is it’s one I’m happy to see Villa take as they need to roll the dice while they are somewhat on the ascendancy if they are to stay competing with those traditionally above them.

Not sure who wouldn’t be as much of a gamble that they’d realistically get to replace Luiz that’d have as much possible upside as him.

• Advertisement

To be fair, for €50m you don't want to be taking gambles. You want to have a solid, reliable player who is going to be starting most weeks. Bordering on being a star player.

depends on what club you’re talking about. A €50m player for Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal might be on the bench or rotated a lot and they are the only teams that finished ahead of Villa.

Man Utd signed Rasmus hojlund for €20m more than we are talking about and I’m pretty sure he was considered a gamble.

These prices always rise but I don’t think Villa could have gotten a player to replace Luiz for less that’d be less of a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

50m doesn't raise an eyebrow now, especially from a premier league club.

Agreed - this is No. 90 in the list of transfers featuring at least one EPL club

90 David Luiz Chelsea Paris Saint-Germain €49.50m, so 89 are 50m or over

Grealish, Rice and Caicedo are the 3 biggest "internal" transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The £50m only sounds big because it's Villa, but they're a Top 4 team right now and it's right in line with Top 4 spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sounds like they're may be a way back for Sancho yet

• Advertisement

Man City do have those €50m players on the bench - namely Grealish but also Doku (young age but only started 20 games), Nunes & Philips.

Arsenal had Partey left out of the squad for whatever reason that is not publicly disclosed and Gabriel Jesus was moved to a more rotational role this season as Havertz took the main role up front. Although he was a big hamstrung by a couple of small injuries he still made the squad for 76% of all Arsenal games but only started 41%.

Liverpool wouldn't really have €50m signings on the bench. Possibly one or two at the end of last season when out of form/recovering from injury but they would have started the vast majority of available games. Liverpool have only ever bought 6 players in their history over €50m anyways, and 1 of them has already left the club.

Man Utd do seem to have a few in that position and while they did have injury problems, you don't get the impression that any of Maguire, AWB, Casemiro, Sancho, Mount, Antony, Martial or Hojlund are guaranteed starters for the club. I'm sure some Man Utd fans will disagree on some of them, particularly Hojlund, and that's fine but I would have most of them as bench / rotational players if I was manager if not all.

Given that Villa had their own PSR worries, I think that this is massive outlay and basically spending the money received for Douglas Luiz for his replacement directly and so should be expected to be into the midfield as a guaranteed starter, given Douglas Luiz's standing in the Villa squad last year. I understand that you do need to upgrade the squad overall and bring in more bodies to compete with the CL demands rather than the EC demands and that brings it's own difficulties. I just think that this is over-paying and that a better alternative could have been found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Surprised there's been no mention in here of Yoro being Utd bound or Greenwood to Marseille getting the Romano here we go treatment. Suppose Utd being competent under INEOS management doesn't generate as much discussion as the LOL United era under Woodward & the Glazers.

Dunno. Neither is a confirmed transfer as per the internet as of yet. Maybe then they will get some traction.

You do know the only thing worse than being talked about, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had Yoro not stated he'd prefer Real Madrid?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine his preference was to go there alright.

But Real Madrid wouldn't pay the massive money that Man Utd would, for an 18 year old who is out of contract next summer. Man Utd gazumped every interested party by offering that €62m package to Lille and now Lille will not accept anything less for the player, regardless of who he wants to join.

Lille are laughing with that deal really, considering that various aggregators have said that Real Madrid offered between €25m - €30m for Yoro or get him on a free transfer next summer. Real Madrid were probably favoring the latter, but prepared to pay a fee. Not prepared to pay the fee Man Utd are though.

the money Real were offering was never acceptable to Lille, so United had to bid more for a bid to be accepted.

I do think we are overpaying though.

As for him being on a free next summer, that doesnt matter to united. if he had ended up on a free he would have gone to madrid, imo. So we had to buy him this summer if we were ever going to get him.

I do think if Yoro had said 100% he was going to Madrid, Lille may have caved to a lower bid from Madrid - rather than lose him for free. maybe around 35m or so, but United were also never going to have that leverage.

I like the signing, but I don't think it is an amazing signing for United - not just at the cost, but because I think there are better CBs around for less money now. The money we are spending now is in the belief/hope that he will be truly elite in a few years - which requires good coaching (not a strength of United) and also a belief he will stay at United rather than pushing for Madrid in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If he had a 5 year contract he'd probably be a 100m+ prospect so in a way even with the overpayment it's an okay deal. The issue is adding inexperience to inexperience from a squad perspective.

Plattenburg is saying the wages are 115K rising to 135K a week. If that was Woodford he'd have just offered him 200K a week straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Chelsea really distorted the marketplace in the last two years buying young players for inflated prices now an 18 year with less than 60 senior games cost £50m+ and £150k a week in wages. He will be expected to the next Baresi from his first game now and if he’s not the social media pile on will start.

Regards,

P.

Real spent 70 on endrik after a handful of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Utd ended up spending about £47m in total about ten years ago on Martial who played less than 50 senior games in Ligue 1 and that worked out well for the club. Endrik will also get time at Real to bed in, Yoro won’t at Utd.

Regards,

P.

I think it's fair to assume that most people here wouldn't have heard of Leny Yoro before the last 2 weeks, let alone seen him play. I am certainly in that boat. Which makes the massive fee a bit more difficult to understand as usually with these big emerging talents are being talked about during the season etc. Maybe I'm wrong here but usually when a player like him is playing against an English side in Europe there is lots of talk about them in the build up - eg a 19 year old Haaland when he was playing against Liverpool in the Champions League.

When I'm looking at the data on him, it looks like Yoro is excellent on the ball. A brilliant passer of the ball (in terms of passes completed percentage) and also strong in the numbers of passes attempted. Quantity and quality there, but across a wide range of passes, so he is not just keeping it safe with 5 yard passes.

He also seems to be quite comfortable at carrying the ball too. Which shows somewhat of a maturity / confidence of knowing when to carry and when not to, seeing as he completes the majority of these.

But the big worry I would see jumping out at me is his reluctance, as a CB, to try and win aerial duels or tackles in general. There is already one of these at the club that is heralded by Man Utd fans although he is a lot better at the ground stuff than Yoro is. He only wins 1.5 header per game. Of course this could be caveated by play style at Lille but this data makes him sound like he is a backup for Martinez instead of a partner. He doesn't exactly scream defender defender whereas the top CBs across Europe can do the defending but also pick a pass, not just adept at one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

He's young. There is plenty of room for him to develop further with top class coaching.

• Advertisement

Top class coaching hasn't been seen at united in years so fingers crossed times are changing.

it’s phenomenal business from Lille to get so much money for such an inexperienced centre half, with only 1 year left on his contract.

I think moving to Real Madrid would not have been a good move for him at this stage as he wouldn’t get much football for a year or two, he has a better chance at United. But why he wouldn’t stay at Lille, play another year there, with CL football and then next year have his choice of pretty much anyone he wants (and bigger salary) is very interesting. I would guess an agent or two received a very hefty slice to persuade him to move this summer.

There tends to be a big difference between a talented 18 year old CH and a winger/forward. When the latter makes mistakes (and they will), it doesn’t matter. When a defender blunders it’s a different story. And coming in on a free (even on big wages) takes the pressure off rather than the £50m price tag that will be bandied about at every opportunity when any kind of a mistake is made.

Lille wanted money for him this summer if he wouldn't sign a new contract.

If he was good enough you could have seen him play beside Rudiger or Milato for Real given they can't play every game.

of course they did. Like PSG wanted rid of Mbappe last summer. Super job by Lille in getting that done at such a big fee.

I think Yoro wll be an excellent signing, but I don't think he will look an excellent signing this season - and I worry about him being torn apart by the press if/when a guy like Haaland or Toney or Nunez (or any quick, physical striker) dominates him; which is bound to happen. He has an amazing toolset but doesn't have the muscle or experience yet, and that will be exposed at times.

As things stand, I would argue Maguire should be first choice ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

He won't be first choice surly, regardless of the transfer fee? Unless he's the 2nd coming of Baresi, how many of the top clubs from the big leagues have 18 year old centre halves starting week in week out? Especially in one a physically demanding as the Premier League.

You'd think not - but then with the current CBs, EtH doesn't like to play a high line if Maguire or Lindelof or Evans are playing - so if he wants to play a high line then Yoro has to start.

Its why I think we should be selling either Lindelof or Maguire and then bringing in De Ligt (the most linked other CB) which would enable us to rotate more easily between De Ligt, Martinez and Yoro.

As it is, if we don't start Yoro, the tactics (or what I assume the tactics will be) would fundementally need to change.

Also, we could very well have sold him on the idea of coming to United now rather than commiting to Real Madrid and signing them for free next season if Lille didn't accept a much lower offer than United's this summer - which was a distinct option for him (and the one I assumed he would pick).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You would imagine they're still in the market for De Ligt, then as you say, Martinez and De Ligt will be the starting partnership with Yolo getting game time in-between. I'd off load Maguire and then you have Lindelof and Evans and 4th and 5th choice.

Its absolutely setting the lad up to fail / hammered by the English press if they go with him week in week out.

• Advertisement

Agreed on all counts.

But I think we may not move for De Ligt until we sell Maguire or Lindelof (I think Lindelof is more sellable, lower value, lower wages, more likely to have suitors around europe and being happy to travel - I imagine the transfer fee United would want for Maguire, his wages and maybe wanting a higher tier club/league make him difficult to shift).

Personally I think United need to look at a midfielder next because no matter who the CB partnership is, if it is Casemiro in front of them they are set up for failure.

Advertisement