Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Camping with my son last night in wicklow. The weather gods were kind. Was a bit chilly but not too bad.

Post edited by Billcarson on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

Seriously if anyone has yet to book a holiday abroad this summer, beg or borrow or do whatever you need to do to get away.

Two days of pure bliss here in Lanzorate. It just goes to show that when you have nice weather so easy to keep the kids entertained .The whole day is just spent in the pool.

The weather here is absolutely perfect for us, 25 or 26 max each day so very warm but not that stiffling heat when it's in the 30s.

There is a cool breeze all the time so barely need air-conditioning on at night as keeps it quite cool( relatively speaking!)

The only downside ishaving to plaster ourselves in suncream all the time😄 . Yes I do put it on kids at home but this year usually only their faces as rest of them covered up against the cold 🥶.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I empathise, I'm in the same boat here.... no pun intended.

I could have baled and wrapped it, but the quality will be only mediocre as hay now and poor as silage, so might as well hold out for a dry 5 days and go for the cheaper option.

Shows how misleading the total rainfall stat can be though.

While rainfall might be down I'd wager total days with rain is well above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah and the big difference between Jan and July is the loss of 6 hours of light. There are so many opportunities on a June/July evening when it's dry and bright. You'd pine for one of those evenings in winter. One of the committee members in my local golf club said they were getting record tee bookings this summer from members and visitors. July 2023 was a disaster for them. The greens and tee boxes are being watered now even though the course was waterlogged in March/April.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very true, it's raining most days this summer but mostly in the form of drizzely showers which doesn't really build rainfall totals much but is enough to be annoying. Today while forecast to be dry we still had some bits of drizzle every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Maybe in the east but it hasn't rained here all week and very little since July 1st. The 6mm at Mace Head says it all. Usually bears the brunt of Galway rainfall. It has been dry most days in Galway with 50-60% of average rainfall in May and June too. The data is the data and we sure know drizzle. Dunsany got 50% of average rainfall in June. The colder temps and clouds play tricks on the mind methinks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

A man described it well to me last week:

'It's an awful wet drought. Raining nearly every day, but raining so little, the north wind is blowing it away again" 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya all I ask for is sun in Sligo who cares about temperature? But even sun has been scarce as constant cloud n light drizzle from time to time.

I think we will see sun on Sunday though as there is no N or W in wind direction that day. Still it could be 12 or 1pm before it comes out and showers will follow. But tomorrow also might be sunny for a short while between 2 and 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I read on netweather earlier that the afternoon gfs run had 46-48c over Hungary for the 23rd of July. So mental it deserved a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭babyducklings1

When I was at school I remember learning in Geography class about our climate and it was called a cool temperate oceanic climate with summer temperatures around 18 degrees Celsius max. Now this was a long time ago( since I was at school) but now as I’ve become very interested in the weather I’m wondering if this is just it , as in it’s our real climate but due to the fact that we go abroad on holiday more now and get real heat , we just can’t deal with the coolness of our summers anymore.
    I may be well wide of the mark but I wonder if we have unrealistic expectations. Saying all that I totally dislike our weather and would trade it for sunny warm weather any day. Just thought I’d put it out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ottolwinner

yea I get what your saying. There might be some merit to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wanting it warmer in summer rather than winter is hardly 'Unrealistic expectations'

Anyhow. Dry this morning with thick cloud, of course.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Apparently according to an article on the RTE news website, we find this weather particularly cool as we've become accustomed to much warmer temperatures the last few summers, so now average temperatures feel very cold to us.

Seems logical but also a nice way to defend the global warming narrative. It's strange because I don't rember it being this cold years ago, flowers failing to bloom and leaves turning yellow and falling off in June.

This also from netweather

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Warm and sunny currently. Filing under summer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Been absolutely horrendous in West Tipp, Seems to be wet every Saturday & Sunday.

2 year’s straight of basterd rain & black clouds has everybody pissed off.

After a cloudy start the Sun has been shining for the last 30 mins. Shirt sleeve order. Shocked I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Global warming ''narrative''.

We get some cold summers. We get some warm summers. We get some wet summers. We mostly get not great to ok summers. But the fact the climate is changing globally, and to the detriment of billions of people, does not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭champchamp

Spilling rain all morning in Portlaoise, so much for a dry, cloudy day.

I've gardened this particular land for the last 20 years or so. This is without doubt the most challenging year I've had. The mix of never ending rain and low temperatures and low light levels has made growing conditions desperate.

For a newspaper to try and blame 'our expectations' of this summer is at its best inaccurate or at its worse a lie. (for whatever reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Same in ours, and a very noticeable drop in pollinator’s this year.

Well it's cloudy and bright in Sligo and near 16c as opposed to cloudy and dark and 14c . Is that as good as it gets?

However still only 14c in Rosses Pt as there's a Northerly wind for the 50th day in a row (seems like). So beach still out of bounds. Still haven't been there since the day in May we had to leave coz it was too cold. Places like there must be losing a fortune this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

The first two weeks of July have been poor even by Irish standards. Temps are running around 2º below average. But it's by no means record breaking.

June was fairly cool too. Especially in the West. With temps around 0.5º below normal nationally. Again it was by no means record breaking though (the coldest in around ten years meaning you didn't have to go back very far to find a June as bad).

Our expectations of summer in this country year in and year out are ridiculously high though. People were even complaining about the weather in May and it was the hottest on record here. Same last June. Hottest on record yet people still complained.

There a few blue specks in the sky but see from the satellite the cloud that's been LIVING on the NW from the wind all Summer. It barely allows sun bar last Sunday

It rained from last August. A lot. The ground was cold and wet for a long long time. Seedlings need warmth. Growth for most plants is very slow.

Im of this planet for a long time now. I have zero expectations for a good Summer. Non. I garden and farm and 'hope' for decent weather. I've never known as bad a growing season for grass vegetables and flowers. That's my observation and most of my fellow neighbours in Leitrim.

Your mind must be playing tricks on you so.

Almost every month since last August has had warmer than average temperatures (until this June and July of course).

The ground has not been "cold". It has rained a lot (apart from last month which was drier than average).

All this info is easily accessible from Met Eireann.

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Gonzo i think you’re seriously over egging how bad this summer has been . To say it’s been raining most days this summer is a bit of a stretch . It’s no where near as bad as last year in terms of rainfall . I’m between Dublin and Wexford the past month or two. Plenty of consecutive fully dry days , rainfall amounts have been pretty low in fact . We have had the odd stinker of a day thrown in of course but in the main days have been fairly dry , cool, a bit on the windy side , plenty of cloud about .When the sun does come out a lot of pleasant days for an hour or two.
    Today in Gorey for example some rain was forecast , but dry all morning , pleasant sunshine albeit only 18 or so degrees, winds died off a bit too

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I don’t know much about ground temps or growing or global warming or anything scientific or environmental really. What I see and feel this summer is nothing but endless grey days, temp somewhere between 13 and 16 degrees by day and a constant often northerly breeze. If I’ve expectations of something just a bit better than that I make no apologies. Everyone you meet be it a t a game at the shop in work are saying the same thing they are utterly fed up with this summer. I think since June 1 we’ve had 3/4 days out of 42 that you’d call summery the rest have been decidedly disappointing and often worse! Even today a day that was flagged as being decent I put cushions on the patio furniture in the hope of having lunch outside. Came home from the shops and they were drenched from another heavy shower. Black clouds all around now and the temperature is 16 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is this because the evenings are warmer due to more cloud cover- this could be bringing up the averages?

• Advertisement

In general there's been a bit more excess warmth in the evenings/nights compared to the days. Yes. But in May the average max daytime temp was well above average too for example.

It has been very dull in recent months though. Ireland is already a very, very dull country. One of the dullest in the world. So this is understandably influencing people's perceptions a lot.

Advertisement