Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

No match specific thread set up yet, so just putting question in here. Any recommendations for pub in/near dundrum town centre that would be showing the match this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭50HX

And rightly so, he needs to be lighting it up to get his place back...that's what depth is all about

Nash showed in the 6N he is dependable took his chance in the absence of others.

Iirc there were alot of calls for JOB to be swept straight back into the leinster team after injury for the CC.

He's a good player, currently not anything better than Nash at international level

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I don't think Nash has done enough to really challenge Hansen once he's back by just being solid. Another anonymous performance today will really hurt his chances going forward.

I'd have Mack straight back in once he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

brick yard, dundrum house will both show it. My preference would be the brick yard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean staying ahead of Hansen is a pretty high bar. Don't think anyone was expecting him to hit that and that's OK. No one else is close either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Hop on the luas and go to Mcsorleys or Smyths in Ranelagh, two good rugby pubs

@the guy asasking for pubs obviously, forgot to quote

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d absolutely have Mack straight back in too and I don’t think it’s close.

But I also don’t it’s close to accurate calling Nash’s selection ahead of JOB “bizarre”.

Both can be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

My post-rewatch reviews seem to be well received on here - so I'll leave it until I watch the game back to do a full review. But brief FT notes (posting in the Ireland thread since the match thread is a bit of a mess at the moment).

Got away with a poor second half - if we can keep that first half intensity for 80 minutes we'll be a hard team to beat. But overall, very few of us showed up to play in the second half.

Murray showing despite his detractors that he still has value to offer at the age of 35.

Frawley has probably cemented himself as our #2 out-half purely from a clutch perspective. The two drop goals were ice cold. He didn't exactly have much opportunity to show off his out-half play besides that (one poor cross-field kick into touch and a nice grubber off a scrum loop play was all I really picked up on in real time) but I don't think I'd have reservations about him being in the #22 shirt after today.

Osbourne at 15 turns out to be another one of those "Andy Farrell was right" moves - he was extremely solid and if he can take the kind of punishment he did today from the South Africans, I'd have no trouble with him covering there in future. He's streets ahead of Larmour and Stockdale there, while JOB will be eager to try and earn back his place.

Crowley had what is now becoming his typical game - a good all around display marred by 2 or 3 (in today's case, 3) dodgy kicks in open play. He's still in his infancy as a test 10 and I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt with these. He showed up again well in defence and is still easily our best ten to take the ball to the line, as seen for Murray's try in the first half.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Agree. I think we might see more of Beirne at 6 going forward too. POM has been a great servant, but I think our back/second row selection today worked much better than the first test. Thought our pack were excellent today in general. Kelleher had his best performance in ages. Ryan and McCarthy both had great games.

Murray didn't let us down, one of his best performances in a while too. Nash had a much better game today too, more involvements, chased everything and justified his selection.

Osbourne was terrific. Keenan is still nailed on first choice imo, but I agree, Osbourne is so far ahead of the other options based on that, I'd be more than happy with him starting if Keenan isn't available or we want to rotate a bit.

Crowley was generally solid, I thought, he's very good defensively, but there's times when his awareness of how much time he has is a bit off, and he gets caught out taking too long, or rushes things - tends to be when kicking from hand. I'm sure it's something they'll identify for him to work on. Much better from the tee today thankfully.

As I said in the match thread - I'd love to see Frawley get a run at 10 provincially. He's more athletic and aggressive than either Byrne, and has the temperament imo. He's not afraid to take responsibility on himself and grab things by the scruff of the neck. Think he's absolutely nailed down the Irish 22 jersey today.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Osborne at full back creates so many questions for ireland and leinster. He is a genuine option now

Doris Beirne and VDF were exceptional today.

Kelleher is phenomenal, if he can just stay fit.

Nash Is good but Hansen is a huge step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I missed the game, hopefully will get it on YouTube later, fantastic result. I love a DG, two from Frawley to win it ❤️.

Crowley 100% from the tee today.

By the sounds of things, we had a much improved first half this week and we're more physical throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

With his injuries and Sheehan coming through I think people can forget or overlook just how good Kelleher is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Keenan is still first choice and by a distance

Kelleher was always class, his injuries cleared up this year and I had no concerns over him. Herring is also class

Hansen would add so much magic to that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭FtD v2

He was absolutely superb today, especially in the opening 20 mins. His carrying is so abrasive and he really put himself about. He is a more physical player than Sheehan. Would love if he could have a season next year like he had when he first came through and remind everyone that Dan Sheehan isn’t the only elite hooker in Ireland.

He has always been class, he was flew in for the last Lions tour for the simple fact they expected him to lead the net Lions tour and he still can
    The guy is great player and showed it again today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Interesting stat

The 2021 match was The B&I Lions win over SA

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Him and Ryan played with a point to prove. I love Kelleher's tackling, really aggressive always looking to win the collision. There's not much between him and Dan, both are class with different strengths, we're lucky to have them both

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

was watching in the pub so may have missed a lot.
    I remember when Keliher burst on the scene being delighted that we had our our 2 for the next 10 years.
    Don’t normally go in for ref bashing but some bad calls today I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Baseball72

I'm a rugby fan (Leinster-based) and today's match was incredible with a sensational finish. From my limited understanding of all the intricacies of the game, it seems to me that Farrell has a greater insight into the Leinster players, than Leo and his management team. Farrell has shown faith in Osborne at full-back (possibly out of necessity) and Frawley and seems to get more out of them in the green of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Advertisement

He always was….he has been class at every time he was introduced to any level of rugby

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=700170090663539

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Phenomal, off his shoe laces, perfect fast skip pass, right into Lowe's chest for him to take it at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah thought that might've been forward live with no replay but that's definitely backwards out of hands. Exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I thought the same live, but it looks fine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Different match yesterday. PSdt a lot quieter, the bok centers negated. Credit to Murray, well deserved acclaim after a very good effort. Crowley was very good. Some will disagree, I think he's just so robust and physical, he's comfortable with the speed of the game and didn't shirk his defensive duties. Henshaw with a stormer. Great effort. Beirne was great. A leveller versus DuToit. He's probably the best forward player on the planet. Just a top level operator. Ryan was lucky not to pick up a card, imo. He torpedoed a bok in a ruck. I noticed our rucks were more speedy and he cleared out like a berserker.

I thought this series would be split. Still, some good drama and a touch of fire and ice between the sides.

I think for Rassie, Roos has to play. The back row was not effective yesterday. Kwagga is a good player but, he's not a game changer, imo.

This is likely the last stand for this Bok side. I guess there's going to be attrition over the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭The Macho Man

Frawley bar one over cooked kick to touch was pure class. Not just for his two drop goals either. He's a genuine competitor for the 10 slot and I hope thats crystal clear to Leo.

Ireland were immense yesterday and proved all the doubters wrong, staying in the fight under relentless pressure, down to 14. I really hope now this tour puts to bed all the shite talk around here about Farrells selection calls.

Humble pie anyone?

I do agree with you that the balance is wrong, for me, in their back row. They need a traditional carrying 8. I’m not Jasper Wiese or Evan Roos’ biggest fans (think Cameron Hanekom is a better player than either of them) but either would give them more go forward than Kwagga, who suits the bench impact role (or the pure open side role Siya plays for them).

Caelan Doris was vastly superior to Kwagga both games.

James Ryan had an incredible game yesterday. Brought so much fight and intensity to the Irish pack and a real hard edge.

I thought the Doris yellow was completely unfair. It’s quite different from Shannon Frizzell’s roll on Bongi in the RWC final. Doris just inadvertently ends up in a position where he’s strewn across the players calf, and Ryan comes in for an aggressive clear out. The notion that they’re aligned or attempting to injure the player doesn’t stand up to scrutiny, and the idea that Doris gets penalised for lying in a position that is only made dangerous because another player comes into the ruck seems ridiculously harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Looked like 2 croc rolls to me, one failed, one succeeded. The SA player was blessed not to have his knee collapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A real 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' moment. Glad to see it punished as that crap needs to be wiped out.

Advertisement