Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest heating system, hot water not firing up

• 13-07-2024 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone.

We got a nest thermostat fitted a few years ago, and it's always worked perfect up until now. Lately though the water isn't heating up (for showers etc) using the app/manually using the thermostat, however if I set the home heating to come on the gas boiler fires up.

My very limited research pointed me up towards the hot press, found the two different boxes with switches on them, one clicks (the radiator one) when activated, the other one does not. I was speaking with a guy who knows a bit about these and he told me there's a manual switch/lever on these boxes, and if I push the lever to one side the water heating should activate, however it would not come off again, until I go back up and switch it the opposite way again, however moving the lever does nothing, meaning the gas boiler doesn't fire up doing this either.

I have had to start using my immersion heater for water since this started happening a few weeks ago.

So my question would be, do I call out a plumber, an electrician, or someone who installs the nest thermostat systems?

Any help and advice really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Temporarily, if you move that manual lever to on and switch the heating to on (make sure thermostat is turned up enough to call for heat) it should heat your hot water. You can turn off each rad for now.

Then arrange for a plumber to check it out. Most likely that hotwater zone valve is faulty.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DXR

Hello,

Yeah I did try that a few weeks ago (I've just returned from holidays) unsure if I had the thermostat turned up though, so I'll try that and report back

Thanks for your advice

I turned the boost feature on and manually moved that lever and nothing happened, no "click" and no red light on the box either, nothing from the gas boiler either, so I'm assuming it's goosed.

Plumber job?

Did you turn on the heating ie heat for radiators?

The radiators are working fine, it just seems to be the hot water that nest won't control.

Hope this makes sense

• Advertisement

Yes. But you need to carefully read my suggestion. Turn on the lever on the non working zone valve. Then go to your controls and turn on your house heating for at least half an hour. Make sure your boiler is running during that time. Also check that the lever on the non working valve remains in the on position during all of this.

Update, got an electrician in who tested various cables, there's some kind of switch needed, he says it's not calling for the gas boiler to activate when I ask for the hot water to be boosted/scheduled to come on.

He'll pick up one this week, reckons it's a very small job.

Thanks for your help.

Keep us updated. You might have be lucky enough to get an electrician who'll just replace the micro switch.

Time wise (taking callout and hourly rates into account) it's often just as cheap to replace the whole unit.

I will do, guy is a neighbour and friend, so hopefully I'm looking at less than€100 but will keep you updated

• Advertisement

It's a thermostat by the looks of things, this is what he pointed at anyway.

Can see from googling, not an expensive part, so hopefully, please be to god, this will sort it 🙏🏾

Oh! I was thinking zone valve.

Advertisement