Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Decent little RTE interview with an Icelandic journo here;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Let's see how he is 6 months into TOD asking him mind-meltingly asinine questions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Have Halgrimmson and Johnathan Hill ever been seen in the same room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking back, it should come as not much of a surprise that the two most successful managers we've had in the last 20 years (Trap and MoN) both recognised that the Irish team can't really play nice football and be successful. I say that in a relative sense. Obviously, they can ping it about in training and whatnot, but watching Irish players try to control a flighted pass in a pressure match situation has long been painful. They're all elbows and knees, taking about three touches to get it down, by which time an opposing defender has caught them. Passes along the deck are too often inaccurate and begging to be picked off by opposition who can read the play. They never have that smooth touch that seems to come naturally to even middling national teams from the continent. In short, nice passing football is still not a strength in the Irish game, although we all await the day when a crop of players is produced who can manage it.

Until that day, the most success will be extracted by making the team defensively solid and tough to beat. It may not be so nice to watch, but it's the best bet to get the team to tournaments which the public so dearly want to see the team participate in, so for the new manager to talk about getting the basics right is the correct footing to start on.

The people who used to say 'I don't care about the result as long as the team tries to play' will stay quiet for a while, as we got plenty of this attempted under Kenny, and the team's standing in world football has been duly reflected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the dirty secret of the Kenny era was that it was terrible to watch. Playing out from the back when unable to do so is extremely uncomfortable to witness. I honestly support the effort to do so but it was a mitigated disaster

Maybe I'm looking back at it with rose-tinted glasses, but the iirc football under MON wasn't terrible up until a couple of games into the 2018 WC qualifiers. Like obviously, we turtled up against the likes of Germany, which is fine & sensible. But we played a bit of football against the likes of Georgia, Scotland and Bosnia. I also remember us playing Sweden off the park for 50 minutes until we scored and then dropping back to try and hold onto it and let them equalise.

It seems to only be after that the concept that Ireland are too rubbish to play football ever against anyone became a thing.

we might be talking about this lad a lot over the coming years. 2 worldies in a forthnight. I dare say the window dressing exercise of Hallgrimsson going to dalymount would have been better if relocated to turners cross

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

No, it wasn't terrible, but his footballing philosophy in charge of Ireland started with being defensively solid, and then taking a few chances in the final third where even if mistakes are made, they're less likely to be as punishable as a square pass on the deck in your own half.

But the idea that Irish players can't play (in the sense that they're average journeymen professionals) has been around since at least Trapattoni, where it was clear that he really didn't trust them to knock it about with success. And, yes, I agree that Trapattoni's view was too pessimistic of the team's ability many times, but it was, and is, broadly correct to say that they cannot pass it consistently well against good opposition and/or in pressure situations, so it shouldn't be a hallmark of the team's style, rather reserved for short bursts like in counter attacks or pressing high up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd agree.

Plenty of good football was played.

Trap's era was a step below.

Exactly this.

I was never enthralled.

Way too many pointless passes in our own box, go one behind, get desperate and go long anyway.

Post edited by noodler on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Only for he's under contract till the end of next season Hoffenheim would likely be ringing his phone in the morning. Signed his ex teammate Matthew Moore last summer and Shels Finn Sherlock this summer.

Both moved at 16 so only entitled to compensation per FIFA regulations. Dan McDonnell was over with them the other writing a piece about them.

• Advertisement

MON **** the bed midway through that campaign. Given the start we had drawing away to Serbia and beating Austria away we really should have topped that group. The performance away to Austria was good with Wes showing his class.

Losing Coleman didn't help really. Probably made MON more cautious but even when we went 2-0 up against Moldova before 20mins, if I'm not mistaken they hadn't conceded two goals in a game that early until then. Rather than go for a third and fourth we sat back and defended. Believe Harry Arter did his dying swan impression to get someone sent off late in the game.

Then that playoff game I'd say broke him. I know we had to score two goals in that second half but MON went full harakiri with those half time changes. Gave Eriksson free reign to finish us off.

As for 2018 itself, I think that's a year in football he'll never want to remember. Thought we were getting some change up as he used 352 in some friendlies and even played Callum O'Dowda as the attacking midfielder of the trio.

Whether Rice leaving played a part in it or being the first competitive game since the 5-1 he went straight defensive against Wales. Played a crippled Walters up front in a 442 with Robinson and Wales spanked us. We made Ethan Ampadu look like Ruud Gullit that night. After that he went ultra defensive till he was sacked.

Genoa sold their first choice keeper to Inter this summer so are in the market for a new number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

he could just pretend that it gets lost in translation and numb out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's the Georgia game away that I remember as the turning point (although we'd already drawn at home with Austria and Wales at that point, now that I look).

We went 1-0 up after about 3 minutes and then tried to defend the lead instead of pushing on. Of course they equalised and then we didn't get going again. This 2 years before Kvaratskhelia had made his debut for Georgia, remember. Really should've pushed on and beat them.

We still finished 2nd in a group with some decent teams in it despite dropping the ball several times. We'd kill for that now.

Then the away playoff game against Denmark was possibly the worst game of football I can remember watching. A fascinating tactical battle between the Irish approach of hoofing it forward and the Danish approach of passing it around the back for a bit, and then hoofing it forward. The average bottom of the table clash in the Irish First Division is better.

And the second leg. I really don't understand what happened here. 2-1 down at Half Time and he empties the midfield. I think he left Hendrick, who's not exactly known for his holding ability, as the only central midfielder on the pitch. I guess Hoolahan was supposed to help him out? But Hoolahan had only played 1 or 2 games as a deep center mid in his Ireland career as far as I remember. And then to round it out, he failed to tie Rice down with a competitive cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's funny that you look on the WC 2018 campaign no negatively.

We had our first competitive away wins against countries of note for about 15 years (Austria and Wales) and also had fairly credible draws at home to Austria and away to Serbia.

Drawing with Wales at home and losing to Serbia at home were the real kickers for me.

thanks, he’s an exciting talent. Need to see a cork game on LOI tv to get a look at him over a full game.

It's not that the results were bad when looked at retrospectively. No the results were fine.

It's that it could've and arguably should have been better. The start we had, the ability in the team, the confidence - they were there. We should've won the group and automatically qualified. But MON seemed to lose his confidence mid way through.

• Advertisement

ability in the team. Who would you class as a highly able footballer from that group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It is all forgotten now, but we were one up at home in the second leg and McClean had one whistle just past the post to put us two up. Their equaliser was a bit lucky and - sure - they went for it in the second half and one of the possible outcomes of that approach happened.

Then a year later we had the ball bouncing around the box as time expired where we qualify if it goes in.

Let's hope we can get back to being in the last round of games again, because it's painful when you lose at that stage. But it's proven way more painful to simply be eliminated after the first two rounds of games.

Good that Parrotts future was sorted early this summer. Pity it will probably take all summer for Idah and wouldn't be surprised if he's still at Norwich when the season starts.

Ipswich supposedly showing interest in Szmodics. No rumours whatsoever about Connolly finding a new club or Obafemi's future at Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Could see Obafemi getting a chance at Burnley now that they're back in the Championship and have a new manager. It's up to him whether he makes something of it thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Connolly will be lucky find a championship club.

Lad is just not up to it and mentally is away with clouds

Love to see more Irish players going to the Netherlands instead of getting stuck in English lower league doldrums. Good technical standard, easier to settle into than other European countries since most speak English, and to be honest I think culturally is a bit more likely to help young players grow up and mature a bit than England is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The video of Dan McDonnell with the two young Irish lads at Hoffenheim is very interesting. It's insane the amount of full time staff they have working at the Hoffenheim academy. What hope do we ever have of catching up with some European nations when we are so far off with our youth development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well, the trick would be to do something about it. We've spent 20 years bemoaning a lack of infrastructure and still we have a lack of infrastructure.

It's the same way with everything in this country. We accept low standards because we think that that's all we should strive for. It's infuriating.

I don't know Burnley have five CFs in the senior squad and even if Wout Weghorst leaves they're being linked with another CF. If you exclude Wout he's probably fourth choice behind Amdouni, Foster, and Jay Rodriguez.

Doesn't help his case that yet another manager was critical of his attitude. Luke McNally hopefully gets his future sorted soon too. Burnley have 8 CBs in their senior squad including Irish eligible CJ Egan Riley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I wouldn't hold much hope for Connolly or Obafemi. Both are 24 now, and realistically no longer considered young players and therefore not much room for improvement. Obafemi has utterly wasted the last two years of his career, after pushing for that disaster move to Burnley rather than keeping his head down and continue with that good form he displayed towards the end of the 21/22 season with Swansea. Connolly will be lucky to see out his career at Championship level, while Obafemi will be very much the same.

Oba’s a terrific Championship level striker with a bit of an x-factor to him, so hope he can get a good move to a champ club that embraces him. Maybe somewhere like Sunderland.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know their squad in and out but Rodriguez only scored 10 goals last time they were in the Championship and will be 35 by the time the season starts, I'd imagine he'll stay around but not start every game. Wout will certainly be on the move. I'm sure the new manager will have a look at him over pre season, no reason not to really. There's a great player in there, I'm sure they know that too, it'll be such a shame if he wastes it.

Seen online that HH has mentioned it's something he is hoping to do, around January. Take a squad of domestic players and play some games to see if there's anyone able for the step up. I know other Nordic/Scandinavian countries do this. Sweden even do a yearly full international if I'm not mistaken, or at least have in the past?

He mentioned he's done it with both Iceland and Jamaica and found it useful.

I also think it is something that would be even more important for the women's team, I've really thought the girls badly need an u21/23 team at the very least for our best domestic players who are sort of in that limbo but have potential, as well as to give some very promising u17/19 players higher level international experience, 

I know all this stuff costs money and we're broke, but the prospect excites me at least 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

All of those things are good ideas. As a country we are not broke and good ideas like that should be funded by the taxpayer. I recall years ago that the League of Ireland players were used to field a team to qualify for the Olympics. They didn’t qualify but I remember that they played ok as a team at the time. Everything possible should be done to promote grassroots football and domestic football in Ireland and if Hallgrímsson is on board with that he deserves full support.

I feel like if marketed right, and the correct opposition picked there could be a way to make some or enough money to actually pay far itself also. Away match v a Domestic USA squad, that kind of thing would probably generate TV money and a big crowd over there if done right. That's only if money was a huge issue, I'd be happy with them playing Iceland or whoever else is doing it honestly!

It's a good idea but not a big fan of it being closed off to non LOI players. Make it mostly an u23s team or bring back the B team. Nothing to say a domestic based player wouldn't make it. We regularly have them in the U21s squad.

We haven't held a B game since 2008. We held six in the 90s (three under Jack and three under Mick), two under Stan, and one at the end of Traps first year.

I know if it's gonna be on in January it's gonna be hard for any UK based players or others on the continent to join up. That's not to say the likes of Shels and Rovers won't block their players given it's the middle of their pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why do the women have an U19 but not an U21/23 team? Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Because there is no actual U23/21 Women's competitions at UEFA/FIFA level, therefore little point in Ireland having such a team. Though I've no explanation as to why UEFA/FIFA stop at U19/20.

Womens U19s actually kick off their U19s Euro today vs Spain. Only their second time ever qualifying for the U19s Euros. Last time was 2014 where they actually topped their group which contained Spain, England, and Sweden winning all three games before losing to Holland in the semis.

Women's team shouldn't limit it to domestic players only either. Players playing here in Ireland make the senior squad already and the only non domestic players with the U19s are actually playing their football in the US.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Howdy folks our annual feedback thread is open as of today:

A lot of countries do still choose to have teams in those age groups and play friendlies every international window to train players and build up international depth. It is weird that there isn't an international u21's competition especially given the growth of the women's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

A very commendable 0-0 draw. Excellent defensive display from the Irish and always tried positive breakaway moves when the opportunity arose. A well coached team we looked. Under the kosh from the Spanish most of the game. Lots of attempts on goal from them.

Tough group with Germany and Holland too.

I think the only free time in the calendar is January, and that's why summer league Nordic/Scandinavian countries are the ones who tend to hold these sorts of domestic internationals, but they're not the only ones.

Last January Iceland played Guatemala and Honduras, USA played Slovenia and Sweden played Estonia all with domestic squads.  

HEIMIR HALLGRÍMSSON WILL meet John O’Shea in Waterford today as he aims to convince him to become his assistant manager.

And the new Republic of Ireland senior boss says that it “makes sense to me” that there will be a path for O’Shea to eventually take his job on a permanent basis.

Hallgrímsson admitted that it “takes a good character” to consider returning to the role of assistant after the former Ireland and Manchester United defender took charge on an interim basis for the last four games.

The Icelander’s surprise appointment was confirmed by the FAI after a 230-day search last Wednesday, with his contract running until the end of the 2026 World Cup qualifying campaign.

After initially chatting with O’Shea on a video call, he says he will drive to meet O’Shea today to thrash out a deal.

Hallgrímsson cited how his own route into international management with Iceland was similar, initially working as Lars Lagerbäck’s assistant for the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign before becoming joint-coaches when they reached Euro 2016 and then taking sole charge for the successful 2018 World Cup campaign.

“My way into national team coaching was exactly like that and I think the assistant coach should be the one that carries the knowledge to the next cycle and they (the FAI) have obviously shown that they believe he is going to be, or is good enough to be the coach,” Hallgrímsson said.

“So I think it’s a no-brainer, whatever happens back to me, I always say the same thing, I want to leave the shirt in a better place when I go, and to have a guy that has been doing the things with us is probably always the best one to take over, if you want continuity, growth and development.

“That kind of makes sense to me but it’s always difficult to have been the head coach and then stepping down to be assistant coach. That takes a good character to do that.”

Hallgrímsson says O’Shea is “the most important guy for me” and will “start with him and take it from there” as he puts his coaching staff in place, but as of yet he is unsure of the Waterford native’s intentions.

“I think it’s better for me to talk about it after we speak but if he wants to meet probably he’s considering. I think it’s more positive than negative.”

Not totally against the idea of succession plans. Think it's always a good idea for Irish coaches to be involved with the national team. Even if said coach doesn't directly replace the manager in the end

But not a fan of all this talk about O'Shea being involved given how hard some pushed for him to be given the job. This week already had Keith Treacy bemoaning the fact O'Shea was overlooked. Would have to read Kilbane's article again but think he came off as negative with Hallgrimsson appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If JOS wants to succeed HH then he needs to get proper managerial experience either a club level or underage with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

No idea where this love for JOS is coming from. He's career has been basically jumping from failure to failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

And surely the new FAI would learn from the mess that was appointing Mick and Kenny as his successor with a specific handover timeline.

John seems like a lovely man, but he does need to go and actually manage and learn the ropes.

I really wish they asked John what he thought about all this first tbh. Having the conversation in public is a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think it would be a very good idea to have a pathway that gives advantages to players playing in LOI. It would be great if all players stayed in Ireland until a team from a top European division came buying. That would improve the LOI standard, reduce the need for foreign imports, lead to more scouting in the league by top European sides and lead to bigger transfer fees that could increase wages. Couldn’t happen overnight of course

FAI might finally get their preferred target in the dugout for opening game of the Nations League. Just he might be in the English dugout.

So Southgate has stepped down as England manager and the FA have said they've got an interim solution in place if needed. Might get Hallgrimsson vs Carsley in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I wonder do the FAI regret appointing Hemir. Waited a few weeks and maybe Carsley becomes available, 500th time lucky and all…

Advertisement