Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭Enduro

To ensure fairness and inclusivity there should be man, woman, transman and transwoman category for all sports.

Well no. The Male and Female categories are sex-based categories. There are no such sexes as transman and transwomen. That would make just as much sense as adding transman and transwoman to age or weight categories (i.e., none whatsoever, since they are clearly not subsdivisions of those categories, just like the sex category)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The LGB have very little in common with the T and the Q are mostly spicy straights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Surely the simplest and most effective approach is to make the male category an Open one, and restrict the others (junior/female etc)?

That way, trans women, and any trans men who are over the permitted female levels of testosterone, could participate in the open category, as indeed could any women who wished to measure their performances against those of the men.

What objection could there be to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The objection would be that it doesn't validate their identities and feelings, and on the more cynical side, it wouldn't allow them to win so easily. World aquatics set up an open category and no one signed up, including lia Thomas who claims to be being denied the opportunity to compete by that very organisation (who seem to have set up the open category just for people like Lia to be able to swim, so actually they went out of their way to accommodate them). In reality, Thomas is fully able to compete, in the male or open category but that's not good enough.

World Aquatics introduced an “open” category for athletes who were not assigned female at birth, but said the division did not get any entries at the first event of the 2023 Swimming World Cup in Berlin in October.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5561524/2024/06/13/lia-thomas-transgender-swimming-olympic-challenge-denied/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Surely the simplest and most effective approach is to make the male category an Open one, and restrict the others (junior/female etc)?

How would you feel about an open category for boxing, MMA, wrestling etc?

My main objections to that, you would see across the board males performing to a higher level than females. That is why we have categories based on sex right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I got what you said the first time. I still don’t know what you want me to say other than what I’ve said already which is that it doesn’t tell us anything. I never said the conclusions had an agenda, I explicitly stated that the evidence just isn’t there.

This is a confusion between "better at one thing" and "just better".

There’s no confusion, it’s a belief grounded in men’s supremacy, and the biggest disadvantage women have in sports isn’t anything to do with their physiology. It’s simply the fact that they’re women, and the perception of sports as an unfeminine activity for women is by far more influential than any reach about failure to acknowledge the difference in hips as if that were actually a factor which contributes to the disparity in equal treatment.

Far more influential is the lack of maternity protection in women’s sports, which has to the best of my knowledge at least, never been something which men have had to consider, which is why they didn’t, until they had little choice but to do so as they couldn’t just declare that because nobody gets maternity pay and leave and so on, they aren’t treating anyone unfairly, while knowing full well the disproportionate impact it has on women -

https://mse.dlapiper.com/post/102icn5/maternity-pay-in-sport-a-wake-up-call

The objection is that it perpetuates discrimination. What you’re doing is no different than suggesting there is no obstacle to Muslim women competing in the Olympics, while knowing full well why they don’t -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/68739487.amp

Is it also discrimination to not allow able bodied people to compete in the Paralympics? The main criteria to compete in the female category is that you be a female. If you aren't, you don't qualify. Just like events that are also classified by age and weight, it's not discrimination to disallow those who don't fulfill the criteria. A heavyweight boxer fighting against a featherweight wouldn't be fair or safe, likewise an adult competing against a child. These things, as well as sex based categories are all based on biological realities, not feelings and identities and have nothing to do with headscarves or clothing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wow! If there was an Olympic event for Mansplaining we'd be looking at an elite-level gold medal contender right here with this post.

• Advertisement

Man who is not even athletic or involved in sports is an expert on being a female athlete and how their disadvantage is all in their little woman brains and not their physiology at all. Who cares what Martina Navratilova or Sharron Davies have to say, OEJ is now here, and the answer to everything is to just get rid of women's sports and let the men in. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nail on the head. It is all to do with men planning these sports and games, and that women just don't put in enough effort to REALLY win and compete.

If only they listened to OEJ, they might get that extra bit of strength to really show up to the spot.

Exactly. We just need to stop believing that lung capacity, testosterone, skeletal structure, vo2 max and all that stuff has any effect on athletic ability and try harder. Furthermore I'm sure the Muslim women he is concerned about participating more would be delighted to be forced into changing rooms with males with their dicks out , just like Lia thomas' teammates were. Definitely that would up their participation in sports

Isn’t the top weight category in boxing generally unlimited? So IF someone from a lower weight category wanted to go against the heaviest boxers, he could do that. As long as the protected weight categories also exist, where’s the problem?

(Of course the reality is that this would pretty much not happen, for the same reason that trans men tend to remain in the female category to which they belong by sex) but if they wish to they can.)

Is it also discrimination to not allow able bodied people to compete in the Paralympics?

Do you want to run that by me again? 😂

Able bodied athletes aren’t prohibited from competing at the Paralympics.

The main criteria to compete in the female category is that you be a female. If you aren't, you don't qualify. Just like events that are also classified by age and weight, it's not discrimination to disallow those who don't fulfill the criteria. A heavyweight boxer fighting against a featherweight wouldn't be fair or safe, likewise an adult competing against a child. These things, as well as sex based categories are all based on biological realities, not feelings and identities and have nothing to do with headscarves or clothing items.

Nationality, again to the best of my knowledge, has nothing to do with biology, yet it is the most fundamental category in the Olympics. It’s discrimination, and the point is whether that discrimination can be justified or not. In some cases it can, in others it can’t. Depends on the rules, and many of the rules in sports are based around clothing items. Just one example:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/swimming-cap-for-afro-hair-approved-after-it-was-banned-at-tokyo-olympics-12688109

Your obliviousness to reality isn’t surprising, nor do I think it’s in any way deliberate btw. It’s just you’ll rarely have to consider things which aren’t an impediment to your equal participation in any activity. The best example in recent times (and this may well earn me the gold Enduoro if I gave so much as a single fcuk for the concept of “mansplaining”), were the criticisms of the pussyhat campaign. It didn’t occur to the originators that the hats were not based upon biological realities either 😂

In response to such criticisms, one of the two women who initiated the project responded: “I never thought that by calling it the ‘pussyhat’ that it was saying that women’s issues are predicated on the possession of the pussy.” “The creators, one of whom is Asian American, have said that the hat was not intended as a realistic representation of anatomy and that the color pink was meant to play on strong association of pink with femininity, as well as "caring, compassion, and love".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussyhat

As someone who has been knitting since it was taught in primary school to all children, even I would struggle to adequately represent biological reality in a knitted hat without someone pointing out that it’s a far cry from their… biological reality 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Well woman is a woman and transwoman is a transwoman. Is it simple enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

Researchers invited 23 trans women and 12 trans men to undergo a series of performance tests in laboratory conditions, while also putting 21 cis women and 19 cis men through the same tests.

An experiment where the desired outcome depends on the trans women performing badly, is going to get that result. It's junk science.

What? A long winded tangent about knitting and pussy hats? Not really mansplaining, more like jumping the shark completely

weight classes exist for a reason in combat sports.

• Advertisement

I know. You seem to think I’m suggesting ONLY an open category for everything. I’m not. Nor am I saying it should be obligatory for all.

The reality is that women won’t usually choose to play tennis against a man (for instance) but if the male category is open, trans women can take part without having to declare themselves to be men.

So IF they are genuine about their reasons for wanting to be in the female category, ie that it’s about seeing themselves as female, not about hammering easy competitors, the open category is a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Agreed. In general, it's difficult to design an experiment when the subjects are human, there are all sorts of factors that could play into athletic performance that are challenging to control for. However, as others have pointed out, there's no need for experiments. Just take any sport like athletics, rowing, weightlifting, etc, and compare the historical results ofor males and females. The Dublin marathon is a good example - over 40 years on the go and the overall winner has always been a biological male.

OEJ is correct in that there are lots of underlying reasons for discrimination against female sport regarding funding and promotion - they're nothing to do with this thread though.

However, as others have pointed out, there's no need for experiments.

There is a need for experiments and research as it’s that research which can be used to inform policy and decision making. The quality of the research is crucial, and that’s why small scale studies over a short period of time even if they include subjects among the population who are transgender, simply aren’t sufficient. That’s why from the small-scale study mentioned, the conclusion is that more research is required before the governing bodies of any sport, or politicians making laws or decisions about sports funding, institute blanket bans. What you’re suggesting as a means of determining policy is basic arithmetic, not science.

The reason they are relevant to this thread is simply because they are far more relevant in terms of the development of sports and women’s sports in particular, than concerns about the participation in competitions of transgender althletes given there just aren’t enough of them to actually have any meaningful impact on women’s sports which would support claims of unfairness or competitive advantage.

This study is a good example of quality research which has practical applications:

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/sports-and-active-living/articles/10.3389/fspor.2023.1120162/full

Able bodied athletes aren’t prohibited from competing at the Paralympics.

Aren't they? What's the below about then?

https://www.paralympic.org/athletics/classification

The groupings of athletes by the degree of activity limitation resulting from their impairments are called 'Sport Classes'. This, to a certain extent, is similar to grouping athletes by age, gender or weight.     

CLASSIFICATION IN PARA ATHLETICS

To be eligible to compete in Para athletics, a person must have an eligible impairment and meet the minimum impairment criteria set out in the World Para Athletics Classification Rules and Regulations.

There are 10 eligible impairment types in Para Athletics: eight physical impairments as well as vision impairment and intellectual impairment.

No, able bodied athletes aren’t prohibited from competing at the Paralympics. What that looks to be about is the eligibility criteria and classification.

That’s why I laughed when ceadaoin suggested it, because I’d be eligible to compete at the Paralympics even though I’m able bodied, on the basis of the visual impairment my username alludes to. I’m certainly not going to complain that anyone with two functioning eyes has an unfair competitive advantage. Don’t get me wrong, that’s just me personally, I don’t expect everyone else shouldn’t have an issue with it just because I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭greyday

I am sure we could do large scale research on winning times over any distance in Olympics and World championships over the last 20 years to determine that men do in fact have on average a 10% advantage on women competing in the same distance races, why even continue this thread when common sense dictates that there has to be events based on sex if we are to find out who is the best from either sex, not to do so would result in women never winning any olympic or world champion event in the future and I dont think anyone other than the extreme trans advocates wants that, biological facts will always trump emotions when it comes to individual physical sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

It's a fairly misleading claim. There are some sports like wheelchair basketball that are open to all. But for disciplines with specific impairment rules, then you obviously have to have the impairment.

Wheelchair basketball? Isn't that like saying horse riding is unisex therefore olympic sports are gender neutral?? LOL

• Advertisement

If you've only got one eye, then for disciplines requiring depth-vision, you're not able bodied.

Advertisement