Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [LOI Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Loved it, great win tonight. We play to our strengths i.e a well organised defence that doesn't give up many chances and we work hard on set pieces. We pressed Waterford very well early, forced mistakes and got our goal by outmuscling the Waterford defense.

We were miles the better team from the off. Waterford weren't at it at all. Two centre halves booked first half as they struggled with Walshys work rate and persistence.

We've a great togetherness in our group, every one of them gives their all. And it's massively appreciated by the fans. That's the difference between us and Waterford, they have a team of individuals that have great quality. We've a unit that work hard for each other but lack real quality on the ball.

I'd be happy to win every game like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

To be honest, no, I find it incredibly frustrating. At the start of the season I’d have been happy with survival. We’ve exceeded that without really pushing on.
    But that’s what Caulfield does, and how he sets out his team. We’re never gonna be an out and out attacking team and that has worked well for us this season. We frustrate the opposition as much as our fans!!
    I can’t understand why we alway bring on Lombotto, he was subbed off again tonight! We but attacking players but don’t play them.
    But hey, I’ll still be there supporting the lads, grinding out results, knowing we can do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

So you should.

Both Waterford and Galway, as promoted teams, have done exceptionally well.

Another embarrassment for us in Oriel tonight.

We are woeful and fully deserve to go down. Too many poor players and, regrettably, a (lovely bloke) manager who seems to have run out of ideas.

To cap it all, our knuckle dragging "supporters" bring shame on our club at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Curious to see how much trouble Drogs get in after what happened with the fans fighting following the game in Oriel tonight. They already got in trouble for poor behaviour last season.

There were several good saves in there as well such as the 1v1 in the first half, the freekick or the diving save from a header which he pushed around the post. The others were only right at him because he was in the right place. MOTM easily 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

by far the most exciting player domestically?

https://x.com/reptracker/status/1811857424833212842?s=48&t=M-EGdU8vr-bNuKyNUg6tmQ

Lovely finish but he didn't have much to do in terms of beating anyone, nobody closed him or tried to make a challenge. Goal last week was a cracker too so he obviously is talented.

Francely has dirt on the coaching team, no other explanation for how he gets any game time, he's appalling bad. Comes on and the first three balls to him were offside, offside and then he left an easy pass short. He didn't try a leg and then almost cost us a goal when asleep on the left and not tracking. Hopefully that's the end of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He actually argued with the ref it was a goal kick for that diving save around the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I know we don't want to see scenes like that but the James Rogers video on twitter with the music is unintentionally hilarious.

Was at the Wexford v Cobh match in Ferrycarrig Park. Even match in first half with few chances, Wexford miles better in the 2nd half and deserved their clear win. Hard to imagine either of those two sides getting to a playoff final although Wexford's forward line could cause teams problems.

• Advertisement

First division needs to be taken into account here. Next season he will have a chance to do it against real teams and we can get the measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Can't get twitter or X links to work but here's the link anyway of the Louth derby trouble. Terrible work from the guards.

https://x.com/jamesrogersie/status/1811864175422939275?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

he’ll be gone if he wants to

anyone seen him in the flesh? He’s quick, seems to have a good touch and shoots like he means it. Anything not to like?

Of course not. Having been in the First Division for far too many years, nobody is watching that sh*t unless they have to because their team is in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Watching the style of Barca, Ajax, and now Liverpool and City is all great, but there's a lack of good defences out there anymore, grinding away.

I love attacking football, but love watching a team do a hard grind in a professional manner too. Miss the great Milan and Italian defences. I even enjoyed watching Mourinhos Chelsea at times, and how ruthlessely efficient they were. Even Atleti were a great watch at one stage, dragging better teams down and suffocating them

The one early in the 2nd half, not that one which looked like a sh*te decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Each to their own and all that and it sounds like your a results man. 19 goals in 23 games is miserable stuff. I'd want to enjoy what I'm watching and not just the effort players are putting in, that should be a given.

Fair play to you, that's an answer of a man who enjoys watching football. Ye have some really good footballers and I do completely understand the predicament of Galway which is to survive their first season and tbf Caulfield has bags of experience of it, but eventually I think the football he wants them to play will stagnate next year and the support could start to lose numbers. It will be interesting to see what the owners do then.

• Advertisement

The Co-op won't do anything while we are competing at the level we are, they own the club.

Nope not just a results man, I enjoy good football but there's more to good football than the little pointless midfield triangles and passing amongst the back 4 that Waterford were at last night. You need fight, determination, organisation, the exact things Waterford lacked for the goal. That's why I enjoy watching this team, because they don't lack any of those things. They'll give their all.

For years we were always a soft touch of a club, nice players, good for goals but couldn't defend for toffee and always a nice away day for teams. That has stopped thanks to this group, JC and his backroom team.

Post edited by ben.schlomo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Galway fans would be bonkers to not be enjoying every minute of what they have right now

As I said each to their own but Galway don't play good football, anyone on the outside will tell you that. It's direct physical stuff and that's the Caulfield way

Waterford are second top goalscorers in the league so also saying they lacked determination, organisation and fight is just plain wrong tbh, they give everything for Keith Long. Waterford were the better side second half last night they kept going forward, kept playing their football but tbf Galway defended really well which I can appreciate, it's their strength, there was a few brilliant last ditch tackles last night but overall they are very dull to watch. They're the Sean Dyches Burnley of this league.

I don't think any of our fans need to be told we don't play good football. Did I suggest we did? Again, most of our fans couldn't give a monkeys how we play as long as we continue getting good results.

Waterford certainly don't seem to have figured out how to deal with how we play, 5 losses and 2 draws in the last 7 games against us.

Waterford improved second half last night, but we sat back in a low block and we're happy to see the game out that way, and we did. Very similar to how Shels played against us recently, get ahead and then defend it.

I'll check in with you again a year or so down the line if Caulfield is still there in relation to the couldn't give a monkeys comment on how ye play.

• Advertisement

We've been there before with him. You've conveniently left out where I said "while we're getting results". JC isn't going to turn into Pep so it is what it is. Everything runs it's course.

I've seen it here before from Waterford fans (maybe it was yourself) giving out about teams who don't try and play the same football as them, think it was Sligo being given out about that time.

Why are you triggered about another team's playing style?

Oh yeah absolutely include the results bit, I meant that as well.

That wasn't me no, I asked a poster a few pages back what was his opinion on the football Galway play and he answered, I gave my opinion as well. Didn't mention any other team.

Waterford didn't play particularly attacking football in any of the 3 games we played against them either really.

Discussion forum isn't it? I asked a poster their opinion on the football that was being played.

• Advertisement

😁 I'm not holding up Waterford as being a benchmark of the footballing World. Tbf Long has them playing good football on the whole and we're very lucky to have him. The odd game they have been poor but overall it's been brilliant to watch. Trust me I've been through the mill of watching muck football, I'm having the time of my life this season.

Ultimately the reason you'll be having the time of your life this season is because your 3rd in the league this season after only just being promoted. A fantastic achievement, quite similar to what Galway will be if they win their game in hand (which may be tougher than it sounds as I believe thats against Shamrock Rovers)

Well no they're 3rd in the league by playing the type of football I really like watching scoring loads of goals and lately have been defending really well and playing their heart out for Long. I couldn't actually ask for more atm, I know how quickly things can go tits up in football especially with our club.

Also don't me wrong it's brilliant seeing Galway flying, the league badly needs it and it's great seeing both clubs avoiding relegation in their first season up. The yo-yo effect is terrible for the promoting the game throughout the country. I'll be very interested in seeing how they develop the club over the years because there's a possibility like ourselves of becoming a main stay in the league.

That was another fella, and he was upset that after taking the lead we didn't continue playing free flowing attacking football away from home and make it easier for them to potentially score an equaliser. Normal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

Only saw Galway twice this year but hugely impressed, particularly in draw in tallaght that was as good a defensive display as I've seen in a long time. Reasonable shot at Europe, add a prime Seani Maguire for example and they'd be title contenders. Caulfield doesn't get near enough credit.

That lad on the tannoy in oriel is gas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mickey Duffy is the announcer in Oriel . I didn’t think I would be glad to play against Cork but I sincerely hope we do next year,

There is no tannoy more unbearable than the Oriel one alright. Lad never stops talking.

___

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Galway have a good budget, JC sets them up to be miserly and that's what they do.

I think they are actually our kryptonite at this point, playoff run of 22 being our last win iirc - think we've had 7 games since then and if I can remember 2 draws that was the lot. Could have just saved on the coach money.

Next season when there are slightly higher ambitions for Galway I reckon JC comes under pressure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

While we're on the subject of Galway and Caulfield: What is the story with Gaxha barely playing? Is he too much of a footballer for JC or has he genuinely not deserved to play? There were a few PD teams interested in him including ourselves and I thought he picked the worst option at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dawson Devoy to Bohs now is the word. Danny Grand all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

He started well in England, surprised he's coming back already. Good signing if it happens!

Too small for JC, why did we sign him so?

He should have been given a chance for Hurley at some point over the last two months, as Hurley has been very poor, but that time has passed and Hickey has grown into the 10 role over the last two games.

When in doubt JC always goes for size and strength over tricky small lads.

Rumours Gaxha threw a strop in training a few weeks back when he found out he wouldn't be in the starting team after a good sub appearance and a good week of training. He was also supposed to be have been poor in the friendly against Linfield last weekend.

Dundalk were supposed to have enquired a cupla weeks back but we asked for a fee. We won't be letting him go to a Premier Division team I'd say.

I think a couple of the players that have come back recently have done well. Ross Tierney another example. I think it's a case of well OK I'll get a couple of hundred quid less a month but I'm at home near my family and friends making a decent living playing football rather than in some random UK town on your own on the grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I might be mistaken but I think Tierney has a few kids as well, and he's very young, probably better off closer to home and not moving every 12 months. Does sound like an awful lot of stress and hassle for not much extra money, if he wasn't going to be in the Motherwell 1st team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

but his choice of music is first class. Last Friday for itstance he played ‘I predict a riot’

before the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Devoy rubbish to begin with. No idea how he got a transfer out of Ireland in the first place

That doesn't surprise me that you have no idea.

• Advertisement

Advertisement