Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I always think Viserys died ages back in the first series but what was left of him somehow managed to keep going til the end.

It's all been moving very fast since then and it would be interesting to know what "weeks" actually means.

Was a great episode and the anticipation for next week is a pain and a joy. It would take something away if you could just bing the next episode.

That look the dragon gives at the end is the saddest thing since Aegon broke Viserys Lego set a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great episode. Disappointed about Rhaenys as she was a terrific character/actor, but assuming now that this will really spur on Team Black to start bringing their own Fire & Blood.

I presumed Aegon survived. His dragon would have taken the brunt of the fire and fall. Would have been interesting what would have happened if Cole hadn't interrupted Aemond finding him.

The Daemon stuff feels odd and a little bit like padding until he's needed, but it's interesting nonetheless, and great to have Milly Alcock back even just for dream visions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

(I had similar reaction)

Dozens of faceless men being slaughtered, no reaction… oh no, dragon sad eyes :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The thing that doesn't help about Viserys only dying a few weeks ago is Rhaenyra's son. Alicent's sons don't look that different from last season, whereas Jace and Daemon's daughters all look a few years older (the war obviously taking its toll on Team Black).

I assume that's the usual perils of dealing with actors of a certain age. A few weeks still feels like a bit of a stretch though.

Would be good to have an accurate timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

The series has been way below GOT for me so far. Way too fast and confusing. No time to get invested in many of the characters before they are killed off. No likeable characters. Humourless. Too earnest. I can barely remember any of the characters' names. Maybe I'm getting old.

And dragons should be like the shark in Jaws. Less is more.

Maybe it is because I don't usually like fantasy books / series. I did read the GOT books and really enjoyed them though because the writing was terrific. When GOT TV series became too fantastical and Marvellish it lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Fantastic episode last night it was like being back in peak game of thrones. It might not have the nuance of the very best of GOT but I really love house of the dragon and I definitely didn't come into it thinking I would.

I deliberately didn't watch the first season when it came out as I was so burnt from the ending of GOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’m enjoying it, but it is no Game of Thrones IMO.

Maybe they could have had Vhagar do something else to kill Melys, we all knew what was coming, understandable in the Air as in the first season, how she could hide that close to the ground, considering she usually sounds like giant oil tanker coming into port.
    But she is wise and battle hardened I suppose.

The CGI for Rhaenys’s fall from the sky was pathetic also.
    Great character/actress she was, powerful in a respectful kind of way.

hopefully Cole gets eaten by a dragon , badly needed that is.

As much of a muppet as Cole usually is he has been a pretty impressive general.

He is feked now though cause no one will believe that the king wasn't part of the plan and he also knows what Aomond was up to which is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

Plus, Cole has the good sense to attack in daylight so we'd be able to actually make out what was happening in a battle for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

How could Aegon survive…… from that fall, no way.

i presume the fire doesn't affect him, isn't that a targaryen thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Viserys dies from a molten gold crown. No, Targaryens are not immune to fire. Daenerys was an exception and tied to blood magic that one time.

I've put it in a spoiler tag because its technically a GoT spoiler. Likely overkill.

It's so obvious from the camera work he is alive. This show wouldn't skip a chance to show a charred corpse unless it was for a same bat time, same bat channel moment.

Also the dragon definitely survived so he must have initiated some sort of crash landing.

"The dragon spun out, there were survivors"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Disagree with this. This show is quite similar to the earlier seasons of GoT in a lot of ways. I think it is much better than the last couple of seasons of GoT when they lost their way.

Agree that is can be confusing to keep a handle on the names/timeline if you don't focus.

They are also handling the dragon aspect really well. This isn't GoT where dragons have disappeared. This is the pomp of their time and how they are being used or not up until now is what adds to the dynamics of the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

I think they just overdid the impact to up the suspense. Like Sunfyre came hurtling down and would have to be pillow like to absorb it as shown.

I initially thought it was a bit of a trade with Rhaenys/Meleys for Aegon/Sunfyre but it’s interesting that the later two are still alive. Usually the characters in GOT that had near death experiences came back to have some impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

But Dany is shown to be immune to fire before the blood magic intervention - she tends the dragon eggs beside the fire with no ill effects before that, but when Irri takes them off her, she gets burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I presume he's dead and that will be shown in the next episode.

Thats a high tolerance for heat not immunity to fire. Her bath water in one of the earlier scenes is too hot for others.

I could be wrong on Danny of course but at no other point in GoT is immunity to fire a thing for Targaryens (to the best of my knowledge).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

I think I like it more than GoT now. I prefer the grimmer tone. GoT was more fun but also sometimes corny. The characters are less likeable, and none like Arya/Tyrion/Jon/Dany, but there are a lot of layered and interesting villains. The actors are less physically attractive, but all very good at acting, while they were a more of a mixed bunch in GoT in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I agree, I think the smaller scope lends itself better to tv than the huge world and multiple subplots in got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dany was always shown to have a high tolerance for heat but the "immunity to fire" thing was only really introduced when she walked into Drogo's funeral pyre. GRRM has been clear on it in interviews though: it was something unique to Danaerys, not an inherited Targaryen trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good episode and you feel the season will really kick into gear now, the Daemon Harrenhall arc is quite boring, hopefully it will come to some sort of fruition sooner rather then later.

Rhaenys and Meleys glance to each other before they both fall from the sky, what a brilliant shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think he is being poisoned slowly ? Hallucinations, funny lady doing the food .

He willingly drank something from the strange lady. She said it would help with his dreams (or something to that effect). Not help him sleep.

I don't think he is being poisoned. I think he's just drinking strange concoctions/magic potions willingly.

I think he leaves Harenhall soon. His plan of bringing the lord's to him didn't work and he will have to go castle to castle to build an army.

Maybe he actually has a guilty conscience .

First the dead boy and young Rhaenyra , then Laenor .

I love it . Slow start but better every episode.

Binged watch the first four this week and now am impatient for the next one .

It's crazy that the streaming services haven't figured out how good the week wait is.

Aemond is more of a psychopath .

I used to like Evan Mitchell when he was Osferth in The Last Kingdom .

His complete makeover from likeable young warrior to clever killer on HOTD is remarkable .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Game of Thrones trivia… in the BBC series World on Fire set in WWII, he plays Sean Bean's son.

And yes Sean Bean does die in it!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Advertisement