Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One kitten or two

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

of course, you'll have to let the boards community here pick the names.

i'm still smarting over my wife vetoing 'newt' and 'ripley' for our two.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take it she went with 'xenomorph' and 'face-hugger' instead? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We introduced two female kittens to a 17yo female (who had lost her boyfriend of 17 years). She wasn't too impressed to begin with but got on board after a couple of months and will now sometimes sleep with them and groom them. They adore her and are very respectful and don't jump her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They are here!!

Settling in very well 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Raichų

have two cats that were adopted as kittens both from the same litter and they are inseparable at this stage. We are very happy we got both of them because they are company for each other and the “big” brother protects his sister. Zelda is like half his size (she’s like a munchkin cat) so link has taken on the big protector role.

definitely recommend getting 2 of most things. Especially food bowls and litter trays/boxes. Our two cannot share anything food related and some cats won’t share a little box.

Link used to try and take over the litter box when they were younger, basically meaning if Zelda went to use it he would follow her in and push her out. Meant a lot of accidents from Zelda (not her fault).

They will share a bed, sometimes. 🤣 but toys they are happy to share, most of the time. 🥲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Raichų

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Regret not getting a second one when mine was a kitten. It would have done my cat good to have a little companion, as she's very a bit spoilt and highly strung. But lovely and affectionate all the same time. Not a chance she'd ever accept another cat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Gorgeous!

Have you chosen names yet?

(Welcome to the Boards cat owners club! 😻)

I want to call them Sally (b&w) and the other one Cinnamon, but they're feeling a bit long, so maybe Sal and Cin for short 😊

Can I suggest Cally for the calico? Or maybe that's too obvious….

Or Honey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

These are my two. Kirby and Shiloh, male and female from the same litter (both neutered/spayed of course!). I couldn’t imagine having just one, they definitely keep each other company. I was concerned at one point that he was getting dominant over her, he’d regularly pin her down and bite her scruff, but she’s more confident now and can stand up for herself.

How are your kittens settling in? Break anything yet?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Hope your toes/legs/feet/arms are ok :) On the positive side, cats generate healing frequencies so they'll be able to make any booboos better by sitting on them.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

😂😂 I think they're too small just yet to actually break anything! But I see potential for mayhem.

They have settled right in, few little mishaps not using the litter tray, but they do know.how.to use it and they're only young still, I think about 8 weeks or so. First trip out to the Vets on Monday 😁

Omg, no one prepared me for this! Glad I'm not wearing a dress to anything soon, they basically launch themselves at my legs and try to climb me like a tree!

Legs and arms destroyed😂

You'll get used to it and they will grow out of it..mostly :D I've a calico and I remember reading that they tended to be a bit spicy. She is but she's also incredibly loving, caring and loyal. (and very very smart) Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

They are - we had a number of cats over the years and currently have a tortoise shell (same as calico in terms of character) - my daughter is home visiting and she says she's a little scared of her, that we never had a cat like her in the past. But she's not a bit feral - we've had feral cats. She's just a Boss. I love her. Even the dog (who's older than her and chases cats) is a little bit scared/very respectful of her.

I had a tortie like that, my dog was, shall we say, very respectful of her space!

She is a legend. I was in bed last night and with a bit of an infection, she always knows when I'm in pain and will find it and lay on me and purr it away. She talks like she has studied several languages and is a master of communication. She does what she wants and I don't get in her way (she needs outdoors) but she always comes in at the end of the day for a cuddle and to give some love. (she's not incredibly spicy but she still give little love bites every now and then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

I'm an idiot.

Signed,

Tiger20

Mod edited 🙄

• Advertisement

They’re so gorgeous! I like two syllable names - long enough to “exist” so the pet hears you but not too long.

I don’t know how you feel about foreign names but the French for cinnamon is cannelle which is also a girl’s name - I think Sally and Cannelle would sound quite well together. And you could still call them Sal and Can as their pet names if you wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had an interesting experience with our two 1yo cattens. We have an enclosed rear to our house which gives them access to our garden and roofs of surrounding buildings. This had, almost without exception, kept our cats enclosed for the last 18 years.

Last week, one of them ended up outside the front of our house. I didn't know how long she had been out there. I, luckily, heard her crying as I was going to bed and found her under a parked car a few doors up.

Here's the weird part. When I brought her back her sister and her started hissing and growling at each other. For almost 24 hours, her sister was afraid of her. She could have only been out the front for max 8 hours, I'd say - probably much less.

Strange smells is the obvious thought but it was weird, like I'd brought a strange cat into the house! Anyway, they're best of pals again. I was worried it would be the beginning of the end of them getting along so well.

So, my cat is a mouser. I know you'll probably keep them indoors but if that ever changes just be aware that they can bring in 'gifts' from time to time. I keep her collared to help protect birds and it does act to minimise her catching mice (and the occasional rat). Most of the time they're dead but every now and again she'll bring one home that's got plenty of life in it and they make a run for it :) I keep traps just for these events.

I'm currently vacated from my bedroom. (luckily the guest room is free)

I need advise!!!

the kittens are great, like having crazy babies😂 but they have now decided that the bath is their new litterbox. They were really good for going to the litter tray till the last couple of days. Unfortunately I also found they have been peeing on one of the beds, not used so only noticed it when I was changing the sheets.

That have two litter trays and I clean them all the time, because I can smell the sh1t and it's horrendous! they don't really seem very open to me trying to train them about anything Tbh........

How do I stop this behaviour?

Oh no... There could be multiple reasons for this.

First you'll need to restrict access to bathroom and bedrooms.

Have they abandoned the litter boxes completely?

Is it both kittens or just one of them..?

I recommend watching some Jackson Galaxy (cat behaviourist) videos on YouTube, he is really good.

Oh that's unfortunate. Could the litter boxes be in places they don't like? Or that they got a fright about? Are you sure it's both kittens doing this or just one? (We had that problem with one cat but not her "partner". She was a lot older so it wasn't quite the same but still.

Also, are both litter boxes the same (some cats prefer the covered-over "little room" kind where they can't be seen) and have you tried changing the type of litter you put in there?

ETA I see @Ezeoul already asked some of the same questions as me, so sorry for the repetition.

So, I think it was just one of them originally, but the other one kind of copies her sister. They do still use the litter trays, one is covered, the other not. They both seem fine with the covered one. But anytime Sally, the one that started peeing elsewhere, goes to the litter tray, the other one follows her.

I don't know what the issue is, cos they do use the litter tray, they just seem to have decided the bath is also a good place! I think it's only Sally that peed on the bed.... But I reckon the other one will do it when she sees her sister do it there.

I will definitely watch those you tube videos, thanks @Ezeoul

So this really is a guess on my part, but it doesn't sound like a litter box dislike or cleanliness issue - my guess is that Sally doesn't like being followed by the other kitten so is seeking out somewhere else to go - mine like their privacy when doing their business!

Also I've read that they sometimes feel vulnerable to attack when in the litter box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

Wow they are beautiful congrats. Some tips

1. Talk to them it helps make them more vocal
    2. Litter tray per kitten/cat
    3. Scratch posts and tunnels
    4. Lots of moving toys especially red dot
    5. Microchip
    6. Lay down boundaries
    7. Lots of affection
    8. Neuter
    9. Cat tree is very important

Cats are wonderful animals and not the aloof assholes their painted out to be. Best of all cats are honest and sincere

Wishing them a long, healthy and happy life.

Advertisement