Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install heat pump (retrofit) into a duplex

Options
  • 13-07-2024 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering is it possible to put a heat pump system into a duplex(apartment underneath), that has electric heaters upstairs and storage heaters downstairs(old style ones)..

It was built around 2006/2007 so decent enough envelope as standard were not as bad as previously but still not up to todays requirements.

I know there is option to replace storage heaters with more modern versions(dimplex quantum for example) and perhaps upgrade some of the heaters up stairs as well.. Not a cheap job either

To put in a heat pump, I don't see how its possible as there is no wet central heating system. Would an air to air be possible for example.

Love to hear some thoughts from people more knowledgeable in this area

Thanks,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Many management companies don't allow this so best to be check with them first.

It is definitely possible to install a mini split heat pump. There are no grants available for this type of heat pump though

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnnymorgan

Thanks @Sleeper12

Good to know is possible.

Yes I would need to check with the management company alright. I know you cant modify the roof(to put pv panels etc) so could be same issue, albeit seems a bit restricting if the property is yours.

Any ideas on a rough cost to retro a system. 3 bed upstairs(all electric), and 3 storage downstairs.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sorry I can't help on the price

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

if you have somewhere to put the heat pump eg balcony or permission to attach to wall then air to air should work fine

its the same as an air.con system, I have one not a split system and it works just a electric connection and the hole through attached to the wall . I also kept storage heater.but rarely use it

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Would you have an "air conditioner" unit in each room, all running off the unit on the balcony? I assume then they would not be able to go in the same position as the current heaters but more high mounted like air conditioners..

Apologies if some dumb questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭allinthehead

You can get some that go in at lower level similar to a rad. I just had a standard one installed in our kitchen and it heats and cools the downstairs of the house.

☀️

The whole downstairs off one unit? What model did you put in out of interest. I can do soem more research on it. What was roughly the install cost of that if you dont mind of course

Yes, pretty much open plan, about 53m2.

It's a 5kw Mitsubishi. Srk-zs-wf.

I'd say you're looking at between 2.5-3k for an install. I did the electrics, cored the hole and helped with the install to bring cost down. I was quoted 2.3k for a Hitachi unit in a much more difficult to get to location in the living room. This didn't include the electrics cost.

☀️

I paid 2k about 5 years ago for supply and fit

one unit does whole house. the house is quite open plan which works with it. it's hot air so it rises . I have electric heaters in rooms if I need more heat

• Advertisement

How have you found it? Have you data on energy use over winter?

☀️

no I haven't any data . overall I found it works well mainly because I can turn it on when I need it and program it to start morning and evening compared with the storage heaters..the heat is distributed better too..

Post edited by headtheball14 on

I'm finding it's working well so far due to the fans, leaving the hall door open is enough to heat/cool there too. That warm air will rise to the landing in winter too. The air con is nice today too, 24 degrees upstairs but 20 degrees downstairs 🥶

☀️

Advertisement