Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA v Ireland test 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I was shouting at the TV when they kicked the ball away with less than a minute to go, I wouldn't say it was the smart option but sometimes you get bounce and it was a delicious kick

• Administrators Posts: 53,791 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That was an excellent kick by Frawley, SA had no option but to carry it into touch.

It was a very high risk play, since if the ball hadn't gone out the game was almost certainly over as we would probably not have touched the ball again, but in this instance the kick was good enough and we got the luck needed.

Similarly for the winning DG, we went for the DG fairly quickly, no messing about with 20 phases trying to gain an extra metre or two and risking getting turned over. Fair play to Frawley for calling it and backing himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can we un-ban RugbyMad for 24 hrs please

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭a2deden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If the management team take anything from today's game it shows the importance of taking 3 points when they are on offer in big games. Today we took every chance we could for 3 and it's what kept us in the game till the end.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭John arse

Wow, what a way to end the season.Delighted for everyone on here,the team and for Andy Farrell - I'd say he enjoyed that! No bottling today? South Africa and Kolbe really are collectively a huge can of piss!👊👊👊

Its the thing to do in one of these games, maybe it's the thing to do in any game, roll the dice

I think sa handled the end very poorly, 9 out of 10 they should have closed out the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭StevenToast

That is one of Irelands greatest wins...

• Alot of injuries/missing players....
    • In the backyard of the back to back world champions..
    • At the end of a really long and difficult season..

Huge credit to Andy Farrell and his staff...this Ireland team are NEVER easy to beat....if they lose, they always go down fighting...

Fantastic effort....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great win, nice to end season so well, after a difficult painful season, also 2 new stars unearthed - Frawley and Osourne, not sure what position suits either best , probably out half and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

So happy for Frawley. Some redemption after missing the kick against Toulouse.

South Africa have shown so much poor sportsmanship over the past few years. Delighted to see them lose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Grant Williams' dummy, kick, chase and tackle on Osbourne was an incredible piece of play. Not many players in the world could pull that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Bring on the All Blacks in November 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You are never going to get a referee that gets all the decisions correct in a match. They will make calls that go against you, the good teams overcome those decisions to win and this is what Ireland did this week but did not do last week.

But in saying that there were a few decisions that had me shaking my head. One of the scrum penalties that went against Healy (I believe) Steenkamp's knee was on the ground first on the other side. Penalty to SA.

In another scrum Steenkamp drove in on the angle on Bealham and got rewarded. The linesman called that one so not too much on the referee, but still not the correct call.

The penalty against McCarthy was shocking when Feinberg-Mngomezulu tapped the ball back the referee did not hear the TMO and just let it go. That was a huge mistake.

In the last movement and the winning drop the first ruck there was a tackle with head on head contact in the tackle. So even if the obstruction was upheld you would have hoped they would have looked at that.

But with all of the above the team still found a way to win. That is very good. I understand people looking at the World Cup as some magnificent trophy that seems to erase all other rugby results in the past and future, but winning against this SA team at home that is basically the World Cup winning team is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Redemption my eye. There was a meaningful trophy to be won had he kicked the drop goal through the posts in London.

I wonder which drop goal he cares more about

Id wager it's the one for Ireland against sa

If that's the case it's an insight into the Irish rugby mentality and our lack of silverware / success at world cups.

A trophy should be far more important than a test match.

I think both mattered as much as each other, at least in the moment. Unless the thinking is the player does not care about winning?

Playing at international level is a step up from club

Just the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Erc Final is gone. Next game is all that matters. Frawley won't see one over the other, he will be disappointed with London and happy with Durban.

Pro players think very differently to fans.

• Advertisement

Players play to win

The crown is international

6 nations trumps club games too

We don't know how the player feels. In the moment he wanted to win both matches as you say. He will look back after he has retired and decide which one meant more. All I know is he looked broken having missed the drop in London and losing the final and he looked very happy today. I am happy for him, redemption stories are always nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Irish rugby mentality? Absolute waffle mate sorry. They played to win.

The fact he even took the drop goal on in London is indicative of the importance. it didnt work out - thats sport/life.

The fact that he backed himself today (twice!) after that speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

let me get double check this. So a player who dusted himself off after narrowly missing a DG in the final and then having the confidence to go again in SA, home to the double WC champions, and not only getting one but two DGs to win the match at the death is….checks notes….some evidence of the Irish players lack of winning mentality. Got it, thanks.

Just on that last play, before SA fans come complaining about the obstruction, here is some screenshots of the tackle of Pollard on Doris just before the drop.

Seems a nailed on penalty, yellow card at least and easier spot to take the kick from as well. The drop went over so it doesn't matter.

Players speak All the time, that is the hierarchy

Not sure how long this link will be allowed on Youtube, but you can hear Zombie at the end being sung…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well it was a comment in response to a poster suggesting the drop goal today was more important to the player than in an actual final with a trophy on the line.

A very good win for Ireland today, no doubt about it. But we need to stop celebrating these test wins like we've won a world cup..and go out and perform in a world cup.

When we beat SA at the world cup we were calling Ireland the best team in the world. SA dusted themselves down and won the world cup. We exited, again, at a quarter final.

Anyway, good win today to close the season, and hopefully the team can build on it next season.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Advertisement