Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭threeball

Shocked to hear. A relatively young man by today's standards. Will forever be grateful to him for the days he brought us in 98 and 01. RIP John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Sad news, great memories from the 98 & 01 era, plus he also won a connaught title with Leitrim which was probably a bigger achievement (along with a few for Mayo as well). RIP John O Mahony

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Thanks for the memories John RIP

Always a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Avon8

Those 98-04 years were the best of times. He visited our school on 4 occasions during those years and always gave us any amount of time, so can only imagine how many others he visited, in addition to his own teaching duties and coaching Senior, U21 and schools teams simultaneously. The Salthill lads recently would run through a brick wall for him. I think that says it all, even in later years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

RIP John. So many good days out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Rip John, your team made me feel so proud of Galway football .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'm so sad to hear about the sad passing of John O'Mahony. It probably was a bit bittersweet for him that he could never win that all Ireland with Mayo, but he oversaw a fine Galway team that should've beaten Kerry the first day in that 2000 all Ireland final as well.

Meath have never recovered from that trashing Galway gave them in that final the following year! May he RIP. I'd love Galway to win Sam due to family reasons and hopefully Liam will be back home on Leeside as well. The last time that happened was back in 1966.

Condolences again to all Galway and Mayo football people at this current moment in time.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭MfMan

RIP Johnno. We'll never forget those wonderful 98-01 days when we were kings of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Any news on the injuries front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

As if the occasion needed any further motivation the passing of the great John O'Mahony adds an extra significance to Sunday. I know most of the hardcores I know have already watched A Year Till Sunday. You'd need a heart of stone not to have teared up a little bit seeing the lovely tribute the fine folk of Dunmore paid O'Mahony yesterday. I'll always be grateful to him and the team of 98 and 01 for bringing such joy and celebrations across the Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It was a pity we hadn't chance to organise something in Tuam, he passed through before most of us knew of it... Never heard a word till I saw it on social media

I think they did something. A rather emotional Waldo was on GBFM this morning, he mentioned them standing out at the West Wing and that the cortege passed Tuam Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Rip Johno , the best Galway manager ever who led us to a golden era between 1997 and 04.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Quiet on here this close to the match. Good sign that there's no seat home available on any bus or train, means a big Galway crowd are going.

Hopefully the injured lads can last the 70 minutes though I'm doubtful about Kelly. Finnerty if he plays needs to get on the scoreboard, he's had a good few big matches in Croke Park where he was held.

I'm confident if Galway can keep the big players on the pitch and if the subs are as impactful as the last day. We'll need it, Donegal score big. If it goes to extra time I'd be worried about them overrunning us. Gaillimh abu.

At least no news would appear to be good news. If a player was doubtful or carrying a knock, it would be all over the place about him being 'out for the year' etc.!

Similar thoughts on Finnerty, and I can scarcely see Kelly starting. Can't have doubts about a starting an injured player in a match as big as this. Main problem is our over-reliance on Walsh for scores. If he's held or subbed off, we really need a few more players to step up and chip in with multiple scores of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

All named. Sweeney back in. Hernon out (big loss as I feel he was pushing hard for a start)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭cosatron

great bench, we will need them all. galway abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

While I'm a huge fan of Kelly, I don't think he ever played as well since he was brought out of the backline (likely injury related). He has been a bit too static when someone like Darcy might be more threatening (depending on if its a good or bad day for him). Joyce may have been better to start Darcy instead and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mjp

Really surprised by Kelly decision and he is a warrior and will play though pain barrier but have my doubts whether its for the better of the team that he starts. With way hes been playing all year coming off the bench is not an option either as could bring him on and be left in a position that if hes not fit that do you have to use up two subs in order to find that out. Playing out the middle has no hiding place for him if carrying an injury and i do think deploying him in hb line or even at 3 would be better to the team. Sweeney on the bench is a big plus for us eventhough Hernon is a huge loss as he has the pace and physique to tag some of the donegal players if there's a marking job to do in last 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭cson

Can see the team being very fired up too for Sunday, no doubt the team talk will mention JOM & the minutes silence beforehand… that 2001 AI success would be well remembered by some of the older leaders on the team, Walsh, Comer, Conroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Rumoured Cian Hernon got a bad hand injury in training ruling him out for the 2 games (if they win on Sunday)

Tough on the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd agree, can't see how Kelly is anywhere near fit to play. He hasn't been right all year and was a real point of weakness that the Dubs attacked until D'Arcy came on to stem the tide. D'Arcy did enough in that match to warrant a starting berth and I can't see how Kelly could outperform him going on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sean Kelly strikes me as the kind of lad that desperately needs a year out of intercounty. The injuries are piling up and he's been flogged by county, college and it all seemed to go arseways after Moycullen's run to the AI semis during covid. Great lad but he's not playing well with these knocks, certainly not enough to risk him like Comer.

I'd sooner take a talent like him missing a season than him having to retire young. He still has a huge amount to offer, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭obi604

if anyone by any chance at all has a juvenille ticket for the upper Cusack, let me know.

HIGHLY unlikely - but sure if you don’t ask, you never know 🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I have 2 tickets I bought that I want to transfer to my father but I can't print or transfer these. The only option is to transfer the ticket I bought as a season ticket holder. Has anyone encountered this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Kerry gone will be a big boost to Galway.... Never had much luck against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Will also embolden Donegal I imagine.

Bit disappointed Joyce didn't show some confidence and put a "B team" out and see how it goes. If they go 2 points down then roll out the big guns in the second half. Any injuries tomorrow would be a disaster.

???

What if they're 9 points down at HT, with the match beyond redemption? As John Giles would say, "play the game on it's merits".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭spurshero

Advertisement