Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA v Ireland test 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Fair enough.

Id say it's a shot he thinks he could make. And needs to prove to himself that he can make it in a pressure situation.

I think the players hold themselves to a higher standard that fans hold them to.

• Administrators Posts: 53,791 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the topic of Crowley, I think he was ok today. He made some mistakes, a few crap kicks, but he wasn't awful.

But something I was thinking about earlier while watching the game, is that one thing we need to remember with Crowley is that he's not the finished article. He is the first out half in the modern era to get his spot in the team by default, as in, he's the first out half who hasn't had to surpass the incumbent to get their spot. He's starting for Ireland because Sexton retired. He has practically no genuine competition (yet).

Sexton wasn't starting for Ireland until he beat out ROG, and then ROG spent time on the bench. ROG wasn't starting for Ireland until he beat out Humphreys, and then Humphreys spent time on the bench.

These battles for position stood to Sexton and ROG, it meant when their time came they were better players for it. Sexton in particular, by the time Kidney got the boot Sexton had more than proven himself, he was waiting too long in the end.

Crowley has never had that, he has to learn on the job. He never managed to pass out Sexton, and has never had Sexton sitting on the bench trying to regain his starting spot. I think our expectations of him have to be viewed through this lens. It's going to take him a while to get up to the level we have come to expect, and he may never get there.

The circumstances here are totally different to what we've seen before.

I think he's doing fine and on the right trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

SA rugby Twitter is something else 😂😂 they are the worst losers (and winners), like a bunch of Rassie mini-me’s with their slow-mo and screenshots of every perceived decision that goes against them. Apparently Doris looked at Kolbe at the end so it was definite obstruction 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Kolbe is one rugby player who seems to have gone down the route of soccer antics, he has a habit of it and watch back the Lions tour to see exactly what I mean

He was never getting to that kicked, figured it out and threw himself to the ground

In terms of SA supporters, it depends on the groups and who you are in. the ones I am in I was surprised they have all said it was two top teams in the World going toe to toe

Of course one person on group couldn't accept it, but he was just ignored by everyone

In terms of the larger Bok support on twitter etc, its just a cesspit.

Crowley done ok as you said, he is very inexperienced at this level and that was a cauldron.

We also have to remember, Sexton was 24? I think when he played in that semi which was his breakout. Crowley seems older beacuse he has been in the news so much. He hasn't had big games for Munster in European qtr's/semi/finals etc which really took Sexton onto the next level. This is not a pop at Munster by the way before people start.

He needs to get more experience, he needs to play in more of these games and figure things out.

When you look at it at end of game. SA had Pollard and a hugely experienced team with the youngest player been 31 next WC

Ireland had Crowley who hopefully should have at least another 2 World Cups in him. Was Pollard any better than Crowley??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SFM will be 25 at the next WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭FtD v2

Absolutely absorbing and incredibly physical game. Delighted with the win down there, 100% what this squad deserved.

In so many ways, it makes the RWC all the more sickening, but it just once again highlights how we absolutely had our greatest ever chance to a win a RWC and definitely have a squad that is as good or better than any in the world.

On individual performances, I thought Ronan Kelleher, James Ryan, Joe McCarthy & Caelan Doris were all absolutely immense, while in the backs Conor Murray & Jamie Osborne had huge games. Robbie Henshaw put in some enormous hits too, especially in the first half.

Delighted for Frawley.

On the Saffer side - their half backs had a really poor series. Losing Willie le Roux early hurt them a lot (even though Sacha put in some great individual moments). WLR’s ability to connect the wingers makes their attack tick and they badly missed him today.

We were missing a lot of quality players, away from home, at the end of a marathon season, struggled to get a single call go our way over either test, and so can be really proud of that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's always good to spoil a SA party. Cocky shower.

That second half was hard going. But such individual brilliance won the day.

Separately, referees in rugby are starting to do my head in.

Playing centre stage in their own heads. Loving themselves on the big screen. Coaching players throughout the game. Cozy first name terms.

Uurrgh just shut up, apply the laws more and stop trying to be the centre of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah, Twitter brings out the worse in a lot of people. One of my group chats is full of Saffers, from working with a good few of them, mostly Cape Town boys. To the man, they all said well done Ireland and thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was full on rugby today and nothing left on the table by either team. Now, maybe that was the brandy talking but they all love a good physical game of rugby and by god did we all get one today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Humphreys spent time on the bench

All true, and the only thing I'd add is Humphries spent his first three years at test level competing with Eric Elwood, until he retired after the 1999 World Cup. He tends to be overlooked as we rightly celebrate Humphries, O'Gara, and Sexton; but Elwood was rare a bright light in what was a dark time for Irish rugby in the mid and late 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pollard is a very average OH. Crowley is a far better player than him already imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Beating world champions in ther own turf is more meaningful than a club game, be it a final, besides having the guts to try it again afer what happened, is even more special, most players would hide in that situation, but the greats learn, and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever about Crowley, Pollard is extremely medium.

I’d have been a lot more worried about Libbok tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would Libbok have knocked over 8 penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

I wouldnt given Libbocks limited kicking ability and the amount of points conceded through.penalties

I think his kicking issues are overblown, and if he's not good enough, find someone else to kick. Libbock is far more dangerous with the ball, both in his own right and in his ability to create for others. Pollard literally offers nothing.

Pollard reminds me of West for La Rochelle, not sure why

Come HC final West can hit every kick from no matter what angle. Standard week can't

Pollard in WC can go 100% but between WC is…..questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Couldn't agree more. I'm forever banging on about this. I call it the Nigel Owens effect. He brought the "referee as centre stage" to new levels. He got plenty of publicity for doing so. A lot of the other refs (particularly British ones) want a piece of that action and attention.

I detest the first names nonsense. The players should be referred to as the number on their back or the position.

You will upset the "but he won a WC" person who seems to think anyone with a World Cup medal automatically makes them the best player in their position, including the subs 😂

You are in trouble now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this. There is a promising player in Pollard, but he has been pushed into a pattern where he is not the playmaker and he rarely takes the ball as first receiver, I don't know if he will be that player again. If you saw how he played for the under-20's he was flat on the line and threatening it. Now he just stands back as a forward or De Allende takes the ball at first receiver.

Add in he is terrible on defense as well. He misses a lot of one on one tackles. But…he has 2 world cup wins and that counts for so much more than playing well or being the playmaker as Sexton was. He was paid a lot of money by Montpellier and only played 29 matches in 3 years and was on the bench before he left. I think that says a lot about him. He was also relatively anonymous against Leinster in the Champions Cup, both matches, this year.

Libbok cannot be trusted to kick at goal, but he offers so much more on attack. Rassie though is a conservative coach and he will go with the player that will execute the game plan over Libbok who is more unpredictable. Rassie likes his playmakers on 11, 14 and 15 where they are far away from the ball.

It will be interesting, Rassie has a very old team. Libbok has 4/5 years on Pollard and suits Brown game plan more.

Or do the see someone else taking over? Libbok is class and can kick, but he has off days which people talk about. Pollard has off days as well but everyone forgets because he shows up in a WC……

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Libbok might have missed a few kicks - like Pollard did last week - but he might have added a bit of attacking spark and Pollard made a lot of errors.

SA never looked like scoring a try unless it was from one of the back three picking it up in broken play and scorching up the field. Their OH was a non-entity.

SA are a massive disappointing team to watch. There's so much attacking talent there, Rassie has them playing like dross.

He has two WC, will play the exact same next WC and in reality could probably win it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hopefully not, was not good for world ruby winning a world cup with such a dour stlye of (anti) rugby, given some of the attacking talent at his disposal,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Augme

I feel sorry for the refs tbh. Rugby is becoming like football withfans whinging about refs. Plenty of Irish fans think that Ireland and their provinces only ever lose game because of the refs. It's embarrassing. One minutes rugby fans whinge about the TMO getting too involved, the next rugby fans whinge when the a TMO doesn't get involved. It seems they'll always be in a no win situation. Letting managers ans certain players away with the antic they have around the refs has made it even worse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

He basically accused Lawes of coming from a privileged background and claimed his father was a high up in some big multinational based on research he had done. He ascribed Lawes' conservative politics to this. Turns out Lawes came from a single income family who lived on the breadline. Lawes was fairly upset and called him out on it.

I've no love whatsoever for Tories but Squidge had no right to go digging for muck because he doesn't like Lawes' politics. It's even worse when you consider he claimed Lawes was like that because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth when it's the farthest thing from the truth.

Advertisement