Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s one way traffic so far in the women’s final. Krejcikova is playing very well.

First set to Krejcikova.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Paolini well below her top level.

The old bathroom break trick hopefully will help

Needs to hold serve here

Thats much better. Krejcikova trying to break up the rhythm with her multiple serve tossing but Paolini keeping the pressure on

• Advertisement

paolini 3-0 in the second set. Much better from Paolini.

Krejchikova serve is going missing.

That bathroom break for Paolini really did the trick

Now it's Krejcikovas turn

Paolini takes the second set. Now Krejcikova going off to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

McEnroe seems very suspicious of Paolini's improvements. Says that he's being questioning her massive improvements over the last few months.

• Advertisement

Pressure on now. Krejcikova 5-4 up and serving to win. Can she see it through

she does it. Third championship point.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jana would be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Paolini can't be too sad, 4 million earned in last 6 months, she's earning if not winning, French Open runner up too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Incredible career Krejcikova is building. 12 Grand Slam titles and an Olympic Gold medal for her now.

Incredible the success the Czech's have had on the womens side in WImbledon over the years with Navratilova, Novotna,Kvitova,Vondrousova and Krejcikova all winning it.14 titles in all for Czech women in the open era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This young crop the best you've seen? What sport are you watching? The only one who may be a great is Alcaraz, possibly Sinner. But it's hard to even rank Alacaraz's ability, as the rest are so bad. Would he beat a prime Roddick for example? Or Del Potro? Possibly, but it's hard to judge.

You say it's because Djokovic is a once in a lifetime player. He's 37 man, and he's not the player he was. Many of these lads have had his beating in recent years as I said, but wilted under the pressure. It's not because Djokovic is so good thay're not winning or breaking through, its because they're collapsing and bottling it all on their own, which shows how poor they are.

Djokovic still winning isn't a testament to how good he is, its a testament to how bad they are. And I'd expect Alcaraz to beat Djokovic comfortably tomorrow, as the only youngster who is proving himself. Any top youngster should be winning a match like tomorrow comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Anyone watch the Tennis series on Netflix? Was hoping it’d be as good as Formula 1 Drive to Survive but I couldn’t stay with it. I loved getting to know the drivers but couldn’t warm to the tennis pros. Maybe it got better as it went on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah same. Too much filler about relationships and whatnot. Wouldn't be a big tennis fan anyway so probably didn't help. I think a series like that suits F1 with all the driver + team politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If Kate is in the Royal box today I expect 90% of off court camera shots to be of her, and general commentary around her!

Hopefully Alcarez does it today. I think he'll need to settle into the match faster than he has done throughout the championship though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agreed, Djokovic won't be as forgiving of his wandering concentration / occasional theatrics as his other opponents through the rounds.

He'll need to be 100% on his game 100% of the time, and I think he'll do it.

• Advertisement

Ha! Kyrgios broke out a suit for the final - I wonder was he instructed?!

Suits him!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

After yesterday's low-key affair, I think we'll have a slightly more intriguing affair today. Hoping for a double Spanish victory, ideally with both being relatively straightforward. What could go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Nick scrubs up well. McEnroe looked like he’d come from a concert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Really hope this first game is an outlier and not a sign of things to come. Because if it is a sign of things to come we're in for a 6 hour long final, that'll be more an endurance test than enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

• Registered Users Posts: 55,687 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Could be a long one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alcaraz finally takes a break point (I think 5th?!) and breaks Djokovic in his opening service game!

Hooray!

Now, can he PLEASE not just give it straight back??

Well, double hooray!

Now, if we could just get Andrew Castle to shut up, all would be well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

novak will need to improve his 1st serve percentage here

Advertisement