Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a cowl to fit on to this piece of pipe

Options
  • 13-07-2024 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭

My soil stack is a 4" square pipe, where I thinks it's meant to be 6" round.

I would like to get a small cowl to produce a draft up the soil stack.

Anyone know where I could get a small cowl to fit on to the end of this 6cm round, or one to fit on to a 4in square end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

Have a look at Screwfix for a 90 deg round section plus a ventilation grille to fit the 90 deg round section

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These sort of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

The item in the first post looks like a square to round gutter adapter. Nothing to do with a soil stack. Soil pipes are 110mm round pipe.

Yeah, but mine isn't. Hence the item in the 1st post.

My soil stack is square. That's why I have that little piece to change the top of it to a round fitting, as I thought I might be able to get a cowl suitable for a round end easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Advertisement

That's the pipe in situ.

Ok that's not a soil stack, it appears to be a vent to stop the water being siphoned out of the adjacent gully trap or elsewhere.

To answer your question, it doesn't need a cowl as it's purpose is to draw air in to prevent back siphoning.

I should add that soil stack cowls are to stop birds falling in, I doubt you'd have that issue.

So I don't actually have a soil stack then!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

A soil stack is 110mm round pipe that your toilet waste feeds into. It's usually a straight vertical pipe that goes into the ground and feeds into the sewage system, the top of it extends above the eaves.

Not sure what you've got there, as standardg60 said, it must be some kind of vent for the waste system but it's not a soil stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/floplast-balloon-leaf-guard-black-65-68mm/68030?tc=AI4&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkdO0BhDxARIsANkNcrdliKcwpAbRDlvDD8QY8ukSJsS3Lk8835kSPDZ7YLcO4EPc3FO6v2kaArfxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Mr321

Where is that going to when it goes to the gulley in the ground?

As stated already that's a gutter pipe fitting you have in your first post but could still well have been used as some sort of soil svent by some cowboy 🤠

Yeah, that's my understanding.

It is positioned outside a toilet window so I always assumed it was my soil stack, and I found out early on it was the wrong size.

Too late now, as it's in over 20 yrs at this point, and it's surrounded by tarmac so not sure where it goes. There is a manhole cover about 6 feet from it.

Am I correct in thinking you can add a new soil stack to the system if this one isn't doing its job?

FWIW I have no soil vents on my waste system, for the reasoning that like yours it's all on the ground floor so there are no vertical falls that would create a vacuum.

If you're not having any issues then your current setup is fine, and is a lot neater than a 110mm soil vent pipe.

Advertisement