Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassination attempt on Donald Trump - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I think if the secret service can shoot an assassin without moving, then that would fall within their remit of areas that should be under control.

Have you seen the Google maps of what happened.. The shooter was like on the most obvious building to keep control of. It's an obvious failing and it's why the news is all over their failing.

Expecting that local police can do these things is absurd, and if you are right and that is the policy, it really is surprising more things like this haven't happened. You could have state-sponsored assassination attempts being the responsibility of local police.

If my understanding is naive, then it's the process that has the problem, not me. No one reasonable would think a sweep beforehand absolves the secret service from not watching obvious sniper positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is presumably the 'rationalisation'. To them it's probably so blindingly obvious they don't need to spell it out…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

agree, they are known to be down every manhole when a president/former president etc is out and about. They don’t use measuring tapes to set limits of where a potential sniper is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,595 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First off, for me, the derangement about Trump is those who still defend him 8 years after he is a been a political actor with everything that he has said, written and done. I mean, all of this has literally been done in public with very little room for ambiguity about his intent and style.

As for investing in the politics of another country maybe indicating derangement, you could see the same about following football clubs and you'd be a lot closer to the mark in terms of identifying it as derangement. Why do people do that? Because they're interested in the topic. But unquestionably, politics influences their lives in a lot more meaningful way. Even the politics of another country.

Me personally? I'm very interested in current affairs, have been since my late teens nearly 30 years ago. I told a friend in 2916 that Trump was going to be a massive problem and when he asked me what I meant I told him that I expected Trump to change the narrative as to what constituted acceptable behaviour in that office, and that is exactly what has happened. and then some. I sometimes think of how different the world could have been if in 2016 the global direction was to challenge issues such as the Climate, 1st world / 3rd World disparity, access to secure health housing etc etc, but instead, the top 3 conversations for all of us in the 8 years since (on a macro scale) have been The Pandemic, Brexit and Trump.

And as for how exactly has he influenced us, the shift in narrative to division and derision that we have seen among long standing political parties has been a lot to do with him. The emergence of misguided nationalism in so many countries has been a lot to do with him. The push back against proven science and medical experts has been a lot to do with him. America has always influenced us a lot, he is such an influence, and a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Virgil°

He isn't only saying "get it done". He's said in the past "Let Israel finish the job". Now I'm on the fence about the whole Israel/Palestine/Hamas calamity but there's literally no way to interpret Trumps words here as a call to peace. So anyone claiming they'd vote for Trump because of what Biden has done with Israel at best needs their head checked and at worst are being deceptive.

Onto the assassination attempt. We don't yet know the motivation of the shooter. When he was 17 he made a $15 donation to ActBlue, a political action committee that raises money for left-leaning and Democratic politicians. He was also a card holding Republican. He's also a follower of pro gun, right leaning Youtube channel. So it's difficult to use any of this as reasoning for the attack.

If I was to guess he's just gonna be some gullible, pro gun, mentally unwell adolescent who spent way too much time online reading conspiracy theories and hated Trump for some reason. But I'll wait until I see more facts.

The only people I really have sympathy for is the poor fukker in the crowd who died and the others injured. Trump was a shitstain on society before having his ear pierced and he still is. Anyone on the thread who thinks another Trump term would be the same as his last clearly haven't been paying attention.

The war in Ukraine is much more active and dangerous globally now(and Trump clearly loves Putin and hates Zelensky) as is the Israel situation. Is there even a point in mentioning our climate and how Trump will do his utmost to reverse any positive trends there for his rich buddies? His former cabinet who pulled back on his reigns want nothing more to do with him. Do these people on here think time stands still? You're more than happy to deride Biden for being more doddery and confused than he was in 2020(he definitely is) but for some reason the last 4 years haven't made Trump more delusional and angry?

Oh and lets not forget he's a convicted felon and himself incited violence which led to deaths. An act he's shown no contrition for as of yet.

I don't wish death on Trump(more because I think making a martyr of him could have led to absolute chaos) but I definitely wouldn't have shed any tears if the bullet flew a few inches further right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭yagan

That was my first thought. Wouldn't be surprised if a bloodbath accidently kicked off between heavily armed Trump fans if someone looked a bit too woke, liberal, ethnic or something.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Surely, given the angle , it's impossible for trump to have been shot in the ear and for the bullet to miss the rest of him? The injuries must be from debris or glass

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gluppers

"Shooter" has become such a normal term for Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 45,453 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What was the angle? And what angles are in your calculated range for avoiding a fatal shot?

This is my expert analysis from looking at pictures on BBC! But I guess we'll find out soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭yagan

Ironically I could imagine Trump banning guns at his rally's in the name of securing his return to the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He was standing side on to the shooter's position but had turned his head towards them because he was referring to a screen beside him so it the bullet glanced his ear and neck and passed behind him.

He looked in the direction of the shooter, and got grazed in the ear. What's hard to understand?

And why does it even matter.

He is?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

We can bus in a load of people from michagan to a rally in arizona,

i'll start a chant on one side 'stop the count'

you can start a chant on the other, 'count the votes'

then we'll leave them to it

Well it's a seismic event, surely interesting whether he was injured by the bullet or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I told a friend in 2916 that Trump was going to be a massive problem and when he asked me what I meant I told him that I expected Trump to change the narrative as to what constituted acceptable behaviour in that office, and that is exactly what has happened. 

In fairness with benefit of very distant hindsight…

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

What a sht procedure.

Absolutely their fault for operating in a way that relies on ever changing local 3rd parties in the 1st place.

Ring of steel, except this bit which will be covered this week by police chief Wiggum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Waiting nine hundred years was the problem indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you think they'll be all mad to get back if it was just handed over to be subsumed into Russia?

I mean they chose to flee to here rather than into Russia in the first place ….. that might give you a hint

Interesting sure, but it's not like he made up being hit. He immediately reacted, far faster than anyone else, and he had blood coming from his ear.

I struggle to see what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I reckon that if someone hit you in the ear with a bullet out of nowhere, you'd react quicker to being hit than a random bystander watching you would react.

As you say , it's just interesting! No ulterior motive, although I know that's difficult to believe sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

There have been photos uploaded on x that show the bullet whizzing past his fat head.

I dont think theyre fake.

The (apparent) bullet is a light bronze blur about 20cm long in the photo.

Granted were in a world of bullshtters. But it looks to be legit.

Advertisement