Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion has 4 wires instead of 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 housedweller

example-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

You hope

If you did the work yourself it may be heating but not setup right or you may have left a timebomb with poor connections

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I've not yet seen a version of Hive that can directly switch the load needed by an immersion heater.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

yes I’ve spoken to Hive support and they say it is supported. Their website has the wiring instructions but they don’t have much more info. Was curious if anyone else has been down this route as Hive is sold in a lot of stores in Ireland.
    thanks.

Can you link to anything on their website that refers to switching an immersion heater?

• Advertisement

my instinct is that they’re mixing up a standalone immersion hot water system with a central heating water system. So when they told me they do support it on the support chat today, I don’t think the Hive dual control receiver can do both in one? The diagram above is from their guide and shows the hot water link, but maybe the load is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That means a hot water control zone on a gas or oil install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Are you suggesting that this would not be considered minor electrical works?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's Certainly what I would consider a grey area. When someone is asking basic questions about such a critical item then they have no business messing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

Afaik it's minor works

Again the immersion is a simple task electrically

The issue with immersions/switches is they're notorious for overheating issues and a novice will easily leave a timebomb in this regard

Also the novice may have the wiring incorrectly put back even though the heater appears to be working correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

You asserted that the OP "by not calling an electrician … have broken the law and undoubtedly invalidated your house insurance if it causes a fire." That is a bold statement, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It is a like for like replacement and is most likely categorised as a minor work. (I say 'most likely' as the authors of the applicable documents could have been more clear.)
    The issue of a fire is different. There is a requirement for anybody doing electrical work to be competent (again, no definitive standard set). If the fire could be shown to be due to a poor quality installation, the installer could be held liable. If the installer was, and remains, RECI registered then they should have adequate liability insurance to cover this.
    You also asserted that "There are some things you are simply not allowed to do unless you are qualified, and anything to do with water heating is one of them." Other posters on Boards.ie have stated that they got written confirmation that replacing an electric shower is considered minor works. If true, and I fully expect that it is, this point also fails scrutiny.

Look, there is a broad consensus that the OP's lack of basic knowledge meant that they shouldn't be doing this work. That is a long way from suggesting that only a RECI registered contractor should do minor electrical works. However it is certainly wise to recommend caution, as other tradespeople may not have liability insurance should issues arise.

Advertisement